Disconnecting Iota charger

Outnabout

I would like to disconnect the IOTA in my 2015 FWC and using a Victron IP22. I most likely will not use shore power much but would like to have the ability since I won’t always have enough solar and do not have a DCDC charger. I can see where the IOTA is wired to the battery. Would it be possible to just remove those connections and cap them? The 120v wiring looks a bit more complicated to me so was planning on just leaving it. I appreciate any advice given. Thanks.

In my 2021 Grandby the Iota 12 vdc positive is not connected directly to the battery. It is instead connected to the bus bar of the dc fuse panel. The silver switch must be pulled (on) to charge the battery from the Iota. Are you sure your Iota connects directly to the battery?

I do not have a fuse labeled converter on my dc fuse block. I do have a 120 breaker for the the converter. I looked up the installation for the iota and it states a battery positive connection. There are so many wires in my cabinet it is hard to tell how FWC wired it. I may need to take the cabinet front off.

I observe power to the iota when the silver switch is pulled and none when pushed in. I am not connected to shore power.

I was kind of thinking of just keeping iota but power anxiety was getting to me. 🤪 I don’t use much power, 12v frig, heater on cold nights, phone. My new lithium, 100ah, 160w and new Victron 100/30 MPPT contoller seem to be huge upgrade from AGMs and old PWM controller. Fridge running from startup just on battery overnight and battery was already at full charge by 10am. I’m going to put a new charger on hold. Thanks for the advice and reassurance!

I do not have a fuse labeled converter on my dc fuse block. I do have a 120 breaker for the the converter. I looked up the installation for the iota and it states a battery positive connection. There are so many wires in my cabinet it is hard to tell how FWC wired it. I may need to take the cabinet front off.

I observe power to the iota when the silver switch is pulled and none when pushed in. I am not connected to shore power.
Based on what you wrote in your last paragraph, it sounds like your Iota is connected the same way mine is. Mine has its positive DC output wire connected directly to the DC fuse panel bus bar. The Iota has its own internal output fuse. There is no fuse in the camper DC fuse panel between the DC panel bus bar and the Iota. The bus bar has two direct connections to it: one is to the silver switch (and via that switch to the battery and the camper side of the battery isolator), the second is to the Iota DC output.

I would suggest you consider disconnecting truck positive wire from the battery isolator if you have a lithium battery.

Thanks for the information. I am going to keep the Iota for now. Solar charge is pretty fast even with some cloudy skies.

I disconnected the ground on the ACR. This appears to have separated the truck batteries from camper. Checking the ACR and the green led which indicates closed position is not on and battery voltage is high enough to have triggered a closure. I also have camper running lights with this setup.

Thanks for the information. I am going to keep the Iota for now. Solar charge is pretty fast even with some cloudy skies.

I disconnected the ground on the ACR. This appears to have separated the truck batteries from camper. Checking the ACR and the green led which indicates closed position is not on and battery voltage is high enough to have triggered a closure. I also have camper running lights with this setup.
I forgot you had said you were going to pull the ground from the ACR. That will keep the truck battery isolated from the camper battery.

Back
Top Bottom