Distance between truck bed rails and camper

Karlton

Hi all - I had to raise my camper up in the bed 2" to clear the radius tailgate.
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/20450-new-truck-rounded-tailgate-and-camper-wont-fit/

After the 2" raise, the camper sits about 4" off the bed rails. This is a different profile than when I had the Hawk on the 2007 Tundra, which sat low to the bed rails. It seems the bed is not as deep on the 2019 Silverado, and the added 2" reveals more of the side of the Hawk than I see on most set-ups. I don't have any safety concerns as it is only raised 2", and I've read the thread on aerodynamics and mpg (my takeaway is speed matters most).

However, I'm interested in some ideas of what other folks might have done to either add a fairing or to take advantage of the space. It looks like I have enough room to mount some items under the area that overhangs the bed rails.

zUNmd75l.jpg

My ATC Bobcat sits in the bed normal but I did use 3/4" pipe foam insulation
to fill in the slight gap.
Works nice to help keep out dust/rain/critters from sneaking into that area.
I also have fitted 4" tubes along the length of the camper to hold walking sticks and fishing rods.
Since my Bobcat was made to fit onto my first truck a Ford Ranger there is room between the side of the bed and camper.
You could put plastic tubes 4" or 5" in that space there are a lot of things that can be carried there.

Look closely on the Tundra you can just see the insulation foam and also the plastic tubes.
On the Ranger you can see the tubes hanging over the bed rails.

The same tubes are on the Tundra but due to the wider bed they are hidden .
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Frank
IMG_4278.jpeg DSCN5651.jpg

DSCN3290.jpeg [attachment=38253:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-13 Window Awnings - All Terrain Camper Discussions.jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-06-13 Window Awnings - All Terrain Camper Discussions.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 240
When I had my Hawk on a F150 the camper sat one inch above bed rails, on my F250 Super Duty the gap is about like yours just because of the height of the bedside. I like the gap, it allows me to store large items between camper and bedside in front and to the rear of the wheel wells.

bfh4n said:
Why did you raise it two inches? You would have plenty of clearance above the bed sides and above the cab without the raise.
He covered this in the first post

Back
Top Bottom