DIY Camper Build From Scratch

Well apparently my photos are too large or something as it will only let me post one at a time or even not one. Definitely the most frustrating part of this site is the difficulty in posting photos ugh! I used to be able to select the size of photo, but I can’t see that that is an option anymore?

IMG_4512.JPG

My hat to you good sir! Awesome progress, you should be using it by summers end at this rate!!!

Wyo1,

It’s looking really really good, congratulations on getting it this far! Very impressive given this camper is completely scratch, home built, but looks like the real deal. I’m excited for you, and know the feeling when it finally starts taking shape. Keep up the good work, and sorry about the picture posting headache. I’m not the best one to walk you through it, I consider my side marginal at best. Maybe someone can PM you and have a phone conversation to see if they can help you out. I save my photos from my computer to the WTW gallery and then attach them to the text from there. I haven’t figured out how to post them full size like others can do. Thanks for posting the photos and giving the update today!

Poky

Nice shed, think it needs a "Wyo's Camper Factory" sign just under the retro porch light!

Camper progress is excellent, everything looks to be top notch from the floor pack on up to the lifters and liner. Nice to know Merlin, in addition to your tig-wielding weldor friend! I suspect they were appropriately rewarded for their efforts;)

I usually resize pics to 640x480, then I can get a half-dozen or so per post. I use "Gimp", a Free/Open source/Multi-Platform program. I've also used "Irfanview", a similar but less complicated program. I'll usually work through my pics and resize the ones I plan on using before composing the post.

Keep up the good work!

Poky,
Thank you for the encouraging words. Without a doubt following your rebuild has been my biggest influence on tackling this project. You showed me that there is nothing overly complicated to these campers and totally within my craftsmanship abilities. At this point I’m mostly just excited to get the camper to the stage of being a shell!

Wuck,
Thanks for the help on posting pictures! I’ve definitely got to find a more efficient way of posting them, as I’d like to put a lot more photos with my posts. The details of my build may help others, as so many on here have helped me.
My friends Merlin and Adam have both been rewarded handsomely indeed for their contributions. Gotta keep them happy, because I still need their help yet to finish the last of the sewing and welding haha!

It’s been a long winter, but I finally got back to work on the camper recently. I had the roof frame welded up last fall and began by wiring and insulating it. Then covered the bottom side with the roof liner. After that I installed the lift panels. I must say, PokyBro’s little clip idea for the spring loaded hinges worked great! Finally I was ready to install the whole roof into the camper body. It went really good, however my first attempt resulting in the roof being about 1/2” to high. Unfortunately it wouldn’t close tightly. I didn’t take into account the total thickness of the lift panels. I then re-installed it 1/2” lower and it the closed perfectly.
I decided to put the one piece aluminum roof skin on last so I didn’t dent or damage it. That was fairly straight forward and I used VHB tape to attach it, that stuff seems to be pretty sticky!
The next step was putting on the sideliner, it was just a hair tight on the roof, but fit on the body perfectly. I am very pleased with the end result of the sideliner and how it went on. I then had to trim the roof metal and bend over all the edges. Next was installing the top trim piece that I sourced from FWC. Still need to and sealant to the top seam, but that’s tomorrow’s project. Then I went ahead and installed the insert trim on the camper body and trimmed the excess sideliner material. I also used a foam type “gasket” that I got from sailrite that is much the same as what FWC uses. Now I need to finish all the trim work, install the door and side window, as well as access doors for water, fridge, shore power etc. Its been a long time coming, but this thing is really starting to come together and actually look like a real camper. Lots of work to do on the inside, but once I have all the exterior done I will actually have a functioning shell that I can at least sleep in.
I created a photobucket account in hopes that I can post pictures easier. Will see if it actually works...

Holy Cow! Makes me smile big time....what doggedness! It looks terrific and I love the surrounding in the background. I don't have to tell you to keep up the good work ... I'm sure it will happen. Look forward to more photos as the progress happens.

Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone! There are a few small little things on it that aren’t quite perfect, but I think anytime I build anything I always focus on the smallest of flaws. My hope is when it is done no one will know that it isn’t a factory built camper...except I think my interior will be better than a FWC. I’ve got a trip planned to the red desert in a few weeks so I want it to be at least weather tight and useable.

Back
Top Bottom