DIY Jack Mount for Jerry Can and Camp Gear

SmashRocks

Advanced Member
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum but I wanted to share some pictures of what I have come up with for mounting a jerry can, axe and shovel to my camper. Ive also mounted a sunseeker using angle iron off of the jack mounts as well. All of this has proven to be really sturdy and 10x cheaper than more traditional methods.

I also purchased a trashroo that's been amazing. I hate hauling trash bags inside my camper. Let me know if you are interested in the details and I will try and figure out how to post more pictures.

Attachments

• JCanandAxShovel.JPG
    JCanandAxShovel.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 920
full

I hang it on the door and take it off once I set up for camp so the door opens and closes easier.

@SmashRocks - thanks for posting. I also just made a mount for the 8ft Sunseeker using the jack mounts. Curious to see how you went about it. Not sure how sturdy mine is. Haven't really tested it yet.

I'm also in the process of building a mount for the Trasharoo as well. Similar to how CougarCouple mounted theirs: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/16712-trash-a-roo-mount-for-four-wheel-camper-likely-would-work-for-any-truck-camper/

Might have to swap it for the axe and shovel mount that you are proposing though... Decisions...

Sorry for the late responses everyone, I guess I dont get an email when people reply to my posts.

Jerry Can:
_8"x12"x1/4" thick plate of aluminum
_1 1/2" x 1/4" thick aluminum stock cut to the length of the jack bracket as shims in order to bring the plate of aluminum away from the camper siding about a 1/2".
_Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder
_Frontrunner Jerry Can for water with spout

Axe/Shovel Holder:
_12"x16"x1/4" thick plate of aluminum
_1 1/2" x 1/4" thick aluminum stock cut to the length of the jack bracket as shims in order to bring the plate of aluminum away from the camper siding about a 1/2".
_two sets of Quick Fist clamps
_ #10 screws with lock washers for mounting clamps
_Aluminum tread plate that I bent and attached with some kind of machine screws I had in my garage. I added a 3/4" nylon spacer between the trade plate and aluminum plate to align with the axe head once it was clamped in.

Just align everything up and drill your holes to match up with the jack brackets.

Get some longer jack bracket bolts to account for the 1/4" plate and two 1/4" shims and tighten everything down.

Vic Harder said:
i’d be inclined to add some support from underneath the camper overhang too. it would stop oscillation
Hey I’m interested in this thought. I have a 5’ bed and a swift camper which overhangs a bit. My turnbuckles come loose a fair amount off road so I’ve put metal tie wire to secure them. Can you explain what you mean by oscillation? In reference to the camper or what?

this was in reference to the shovel/axe and rotopax holder. By having it only supported on the jack mounts, you could get oscillation in the holders, potentially weakening the holder and/or jack mount over time.

Folks who have mounted fuel can holders in this location have also supported it from underneath by attaching a piece of 1/4 plate alum, day 4" x 12" long and screwing it into the wood overhang (part that goes over the truck bed rails) and then into whatever they are trying to support. I had a 5 gal fuel can hung on that way for 5000 miles and it worked fine.

Vic Harder said:
this was in reference to the shovel/axe and rotopax holder. By having it only supported on the jack mounts, you could get oscillation in the holders, potentially weakening the holder and/or jack mount over time.

Folks who have mounted fuel can holders in this location have also supported it from underneath by attaching a piece of 1/4 plate alum, day 4" x 12" long and screwing it into the wood overhang (part that goes over the truck bed rails) and then into whatever they are trying to support. I had a 5 gal fuel can hung on that way for 5000 miles and it worked fine.
it seems extremely sturdy now but I agree, longevity of the jack mouth itself may be compromised. Will definitely look into this. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom