Do I need to install anything in my truck to put on a camper?

kevg

Do I need to install anything in my truck to put on a camper?

I've got a Ford F250 3/4 Ton 2014 SRW SuperDuty SuperCab XLT 4x2 6.75" Short Bed 6.2Liter V-8 Engine

Before putting on a camper, do I need to install anything in the truck or will it just "pop in" and latch on? I've already researched the campers that I could put on (based on my GVW, GVWR, GAWR, wheels, etc.), but it's a bit of a haul to the sales lots, so in case I buy on the spot, I'd hate to be unprepared.

Thanks.

As Buckwheat mentioned, you will need a way to secure it to the truck, plus you will probably want an electrical connection.

The tie downs differ greatly, so a little research in advance would be wise.

Thanks for the quick responses. Any recommendations for tiedowns? Do they depend on the camper?

You will greatly improve handling and ride comfort by installing load leveling air bags or overload springs over and above what ever towing/camper package that came from the factory.

Consider a rubber pad, (I have a 1/2" rubber mat recycled from old tires) where your camper will rest on in the bed of your truck. Even though you secure the camper with tie downs/buckles, the pad helps to prevent annoying squeaking noises and the camper from sliding or shifting, which will reduce stress on your camper and your tie down system...not to mention your nerves.

Enjoy...

well the good news is that you have a truck with a payload of 3600-3700lbs. so with the right tie downs you are good to go.. i prefer the torklift frame mounts.. they will do the job for most campers. FWC,ATC use the truck bed for mounting.. good luck!

kevg- Other thoughts:

I"m not sure what you mean by a 'sales lot' but if possible, call the seller and ask what options you have if you buy the camper.

- The seller may be able to deliver, perhaps for a fee or you may be able to negotiate delivery into the deal. (That assumes, of course, that you have a flat place to put it at home!)

- If the seller routinely sells truck campers he may be able to install tie-downs for you. And if he doesn't do the work himself, he may be able to recommend someone locally to do it (if so, talk to that person for details on what you would need to provide)

Be sure the specific camper you are interested in buying will physically fit on your truck. When I was considering one I contacted FWC and asked whether the year and model Hawk I was interested in would fit my truck and even then was advised it should in theory but the only way to know is to measure the camper, measure the truck and figure it out.

You may find that the camper dimensions all seem to fit but for the 'wings', i.e., the portion normally sticking out over the sides of the bed. You may be able to remedy that by building a platform under the camper floor. A temporary fix for that is a sheet of 2"-thick foam insulating board from your local Lowes or Home Depot.

Maybe my tolerance for sway is higher than average, but I've never felt like our '96 CTD's 3/4t suspension needed anything besides better shocks. I even had the under-ride type over-load leaves flipped upside down so they're less in use than stock. Ask my wife, I'm not shy or timid about twisty-curvy roads. There have been plenty of times that I've wished for a softer, not stiffer, rear suspension.

I brought our camper home with ratchet straps:
i-thGfLHn-M.jpg

It now has turnbuckles front and rear, though how I did that is non-typical & not std. The black looking bar visible in the pic below spans from jack mount to jack mount and has turn-buckle tabs on it within the bedsides. The rears are shorties that go from the jack brackets to bed stake-pocket anchors. They're faint, but visible too in the pic below.

i-kWbgXgn-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom