Do You Enjoy A Mystery?

If you'd like to look at Williamson Bowl on Google Earth -

36°39.207'N 118°19.486'W

these are not the coordinates of the location of the body.

Mysteries abound. Likely an interesting story if it ever gets figured out.

Taku said:
Mysteries abound. Likely an interesting story if it ever gets figured out.
The remains are old, possibly decades. It looks like a burial. It doesn't match a missing person case. A fractured skull. "No foul play is suspected." Who is it? Who did the burial?

My gal and I have climbed Mt. Williamson years ago, I often think about discovering something or body out there. We use to make 9 day backpack trips completely off trail and thought how would anybody find us.

I lost my favorite doctor, he went solo from the rest of his group and fell after summiting a peak. Took days to find him.

Modern day tracking devices now help, but my PLB only works if I'm alive and can activate it. The ones that long track and send out coordinates updating regularly intervals is what I would like if we were still doing these off the grid routes.

Edit to enlarge text...Tablet makes it too darn small!!!

Looks like mystery solved. The body found in Williamson Bowl is believed to be that of a Manzanar internee who was part of the "Manzanar Fishing Club". A group of 10 or so took shelter overnight from a snow squall on July 29,1945 and the next morning one member of the party was missing. His body was subsequently found and was laid to rest at the scene.

Authorities are awaiting the return of DNA testing to confirm the identity.

Full story just posted by the Associated Press outlets.

Foy

Wow, such a historic and unexpected twist to the story. The guys in the Manzanar Fishing Club were darn tough to climb up to that fishing hole. Foy, thanks so much for posting this!

ski3pin said:
Wow, such a historic and unexpected twist to the story. The guys in the Manzanar Fishing Club were darn tough to climb up to that fishing hole. Foy, thanks so much for posting this!

Whoa, I'll say they were some tough individuals to get up there from the internment camp! If I'm seeing the grounds correctly, the lowest lake in the bowl and the one directly feeding Williamson Creek has a pool elevation of 11,600'. The lower end of the Manzanar footprint on the same digital topo is at 3,880'. So 7,720' of elevation gain in around 10 miles! That's Mr. Ski3pin style hike-in fishing!

Foy

I remember being a small boy when my Dad pulled over at Manzanar and told me the story of the internment camp. This was in the late fifties, early sixties, long before it became an NPS site. World War II was still foremost in my parents' generations minds, but I remember my Dad questioning if internment of U.S. citizens was right. Everybody on my Mom's family side was German, having immigrated in the late 1800's.

Stories like the one above help personalize the entire event, especially for me when it includes tough climbs to high mountain lakes.

Thanks Ski. One of these days we are going to have to get there.
I've read a lot about Mazanar.
When I worked some of my costumers ,store owners in Watsonville
were part of the internment.A few of them would talk about their experience there.

I even talked with several born there. Very interesting stories.

Some of the Japanese from Watsonville were luckier than most as they returned to
their before camp lives and properties.

Sharon's good friend and team teacher's family was there.

A sad time in our history,but we seem to repeat our mistakes.

Frank

I visited the Mazanar site on my first trip west from Virginia...during college back in the stone age.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom