Dodge Dakotas?

Brewskier

Advanced Member
Hey guys. I'm getting closer to finally buying a used truck. I have come across quite a few Dodge Dakotas and Dakota Sports that can be had for very cheap ( less than 5k). They have quite a few miles, usually (120-170k), but hopefully these are dependable long lasting trucks that can go upwards of 300k with no major issues. Does anyone here have one? How are they? Do they have good or bad reputations?

I'm looking for a V6 version, but most have a V8. Still, I hear they do decently on gas, even for a V8.

I was initially looking for a Tacoma or Tundra, but the frame rust issue became too scary of an issue. I don't want to risk it. The Nissan Frontiers apparently have a horrible turning radius, which might be a problem on certain trails. Ford Rangers don't seem like they will be able to carry the weight well enough. Dakotas seem like the best solution at this point.

Thanks in advance.

A buddy of mine has one. I'm not sure of the mileage on the clock, but gaswise it is mucho thirsty. Ten maybe eleven mpg, and that is with the V6 automatic.

Junk.

A buddy of mine has one. I'm not sure of the mileage on the clock, but gaswise it is mucho thirsty. Ten maybe eleven mpg, and that is with the V6 automatic.

I love the full size, but the Dakota is full of issues. Last one was my son's, a late model (2008 or 09), engine and steering suspension issues, never did get the rated mpg, dealer could not fix it, was traded in on a full size 2010 RAM 1500, he has been happy as a clam since. Great mileage, more capacity, more comfort, and not much bigger really. He is not alone in his issues.

Ouch, I was afraid of this. They're selling cheap, there must be a reason.

I know most people here like full size trucks, but I just have a feeling they wouldn't be able to go to some areas I go to in Death Valley. A mid-size seems like the way to go, but every one I've researched has issues.

Back to square one :(

Thanks for the warning, though! I'll stay away from the Dakotas.

As echoed, ram trucks are fine, dakotas not so much. Look towards the other brands for the midsize market.

I have no idea where you are located, but in my area, MN, you can get original Tundras for a decent price. They are about the same size as a current Tacoma and many have the frames replaced. Would you be afraid of a Tundra with a recent frame replacement?

Check out this truck
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/2932866881.html

I would take this truck over any Dakota for sure probably cheaper/better to own in the long run if you consider fuel, maintanence, resale, etc.

It is really hard to beat the reliability of those toyota tacoma trucks.

The used prices are high when you are buying, but the trucks hold up well.

Pay now, or pay later.

:)

I would not be worried about Tacoma rust. Get your local Toyota dealer to check on the serial number to see if the truck is covered in the program (ie has not been in an accident or reclaimed after junked). When rust showed up on my 1999 Tacoma, Toyota bought it back at 80% of what I had paid 8 years earlier.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I understand what you are saying about the Tacomas, but unfortunately the dealerships (who would be able to help me with the potential rust issue) want too much for Tacomas. Even ones with 180,000 miles are 10k! I would almost have to buy one through a private seller, which would leave me SOL if the rust issue should present itself. How does Toyota handle trucks that were bought used?

The Nissan Frontiers look nice, but they are expensive, as well. Too bad I can't find a used Suzuki Equator, those look nice. Analysis paralysis!

The search continues!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I understand what you are saying about the Tacomas, but unfortunately the dealerships (who would be able to help me with the potential rust issue) want too much for Tacomas. Even ones with 180,000 miles are 10k! I would almost have to buy one through a private seller, which would leave me SOL if the rust issue should present itself. How does Toyota handle trucks that were bought used?

The Nissan Frontiers look nice, but they are expensive, as well. Too bad I can't find a used Suzuki Equator, those look nice. Analysis paralysis!

The search continues!

I bought my Tacoma used and not from a Toyota dealer. I had no problems as far as getting my local dealer to check it out and they handled all the details of getting it turned in (and getting me a check) when time came to junk it. Toyota paid me nearly $12,000 for a 1999 in 2011. But before you buy a used truck from any source have your dealer check out the serial number to make sure it is covered. Some trucks were junked and then rebuilt; they are not covered.

One last question,

There's a really nice 2004 Ram 1500 I found for $6,000. It has 158,000 "highway miles", new tires, new brakes, 4x4, looks awesome. Is that a good deal? How many more miles before I start having some serious engine troubles?

One last question,

There's a really nice 2004 Ram 1500 I found for $6,000. It has 158,000 "highway miles", new tires, new brakes, 4x4, looks awesome. Is that a good deal? How many more miles before I start having some serious engine troubles?

Anyone?

No idea. New vehicles well cared for can go many miles. I'm not sure what the target design life on those engines are. However with any motor it just takes a bearing or such internally taking a crap. However if you like the rest of the truck keep in mind you could always replace the engine if it ever crapped out on you. More than anything though with a truck that has 158k on it I'm be wondering about trans life, assuming it has an auto trans, over the engine.

One last question,

To quote Dodge advertisments from back in the day "Does that thing have a Hemi?" I don't know much about the reliability of the Hemi's, but I do know something about the 5.9L "Magnum" engines.

I had a '99 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L (360 CID) engine. It was the columination of a long line of Dodge 360 engines and was the least of my worries when I traded it in. The only problem with the engine was the intake plenum gasket and there were inexpensive after market fixes for that. In fact there was very little I was worried about with that truck except for the fuel mileage, which was about 13 MPG without the FWC, 9-11 with the FWC.

I traded it for $3,500, so $6000 for a 2004 doesn't seem unreasonable.

One thing about Dodge trucks is that they have a very good turning radius.

[Edit] I wasn't comfortable carrying my FWC Hawk on the '99 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, but it was such a good truck that it took me 5 years after I bought my Chevy K2500HD to carry the Hawk, that I finally traded it in for something more economical.

Back
Top Bottom