dodge horror

HERR42

i had a broken suspension strap on my transfer flow 48 gal aftermarket fuel tank and drove up to chico to have them fix it this morning. while i was waiting, a fella came in that was from arizona with a 2005 CTD 2500HD who was very unhappy.

he bought the vehicle new in '05 and had the tank installed at the same time.

he said that last year he began having serious engine problems and dodge replaced the CTD. a few months ago he begain experiencing the same problem and this time dodge told him that the cause was "rust from the welds" inside his aftermarket fuel tank. i think that the folks at transferflow were going to open it up....i.e. operate.

he said he was going to install a more sophisticated filtering system.

how could particulate matter make it through a fuel filter ? i would expect it to clog first. how could rust develop inside a fuel tank that holds diesel fuel?

Good question. I wouldn't think rust could get through the filter. The CTD is pretty reliable, first really unhappy person I've heard about.

Diesel fuel can absorb a lot of water which can be a problem in a steel tank. You would think though that the filter would keep the junk out of the injection system.
Dodge has a prefilter sock on the fuel module in the tank. If that plugged up the injector pump could be starved of fuel.
Dodge also had problems with electronic injectors. Not as bad as Ford or Chevy but there were some failures.

i had a broken suspension strap on my transfer flow 48 gal aftermarket fuel tank and drove up to chico to have them fix it this morning. while i was waiting, a fella came in that was from arizona with a 2005 CTD 2500HD who was very unhappy.

he bought the vehicle new in '05 and had the tank installed at the same time.

he said that last year he began having serious engine problems and dodge replaced the CTD. a few months ago he begain experiencing the same problem and this time dodge told him that the cause was "rust from the welds" inside his aftermarket fuel tank. i think that the folks at transferflow were going to open it up....i.e. operate.

he said he was going to install a more sophisticated filtering system.

how could particulate matter make it through a fuel filter ? i would expect it to clog first. how could rust develop inside a fuel tank that holds diesel fuel?

Destroying two CTDs in 5 years!!!! Unbelievable!!! I agree with Dodge that his aftermarket stuff is causing the problem.

Destroying two CTDs in 5 years!!!! Unbelievable!!! I agree with Dodge that his aftermarket stuff is causing the problem.

Can't blame the CTD for other Mfg'rs stuff....

Sure love mine...3 years and not a single repair..just keeps humming (rattling) along.

Can't blame the CTD for other Mfg'rs stuff....

Sure love mine...3 years and not a single repair..just keeps humming (rattling) along.

i cant believe they replaced an engine for no reason.
do you think they would do it if they knew it was not their fault?

i know those are really reliable units...but you have to wonder about their logic.

Back
Top Bottom