Dog heat safety

PaulT said:
Anyone considered a swamp cooler to cool your animal quarters? Less than 5 amps. Add another 100 watt solar panel to your roof & cool your camper & leave the dog in the camper. West coasters, for the most part, should be able to make use of a evaporative cooler due to our lower humidity.

Found this one: http://www.turbokool.com/

Probably, others exist. I have no experience with one. The logistics may be a pain, especially feeding it water. But 16 lbs and fits a14" roof vent which our campers usually have sounds intriguing. With a doughnut between camper & pickup, it might even keep the truck cool while you were out. Sorry for the hijack. I'll shut up know. :)

Paul
I have recently purchased a portable MightyKool. It uses water, not ice but will not cool a room as it requires vents and windows to be left open. It just blows cool air at you; noticeably cooler than just a fan. cost: $300.

I leave my dog in the camper quite often. The cab gets way hotter than the camper - the camper being insulated and all. I always leave the fan cranked too which of course helps. I'm not in the desert in the summer parked in full sun of course...

We rarely leave our dogs alone in the vehicle in the summer months or in warm temperatures. If we are forced too (like when we showed up at Mt. Rushmore to find out dogs were not allowed) we left them in the truck with the A/C running and a note on the window. We kept our visit short (unfortunately) and all was ok. Usually we choose our stops based on being able to take the dogs with us. When we are on the road, if grocery shopping or something, one of us will simply stay in the truck with the dogs whole the other takes care of shopping. We do our best to locate dog friendly places, stores, and pubs to visit when at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom