Dometic Buys Zamp

Wallowa

Double Ought
Wonder how this will affect Zamp products? May be old news but I just heard about it...

I believe Dometic is based in Sweden...

If true, not good. I've had terrible customer service from Dometic and especially when they acquire a company (fantastic fan).

kmcintyre said:
If true, not good. I've had terrible customer service from Dometic and especially when they acquire a company (fantastic fan).

Yes, Zamp is made in Bend Oregon and my roof panels [160/170w] and portable [80?] are Zamps...they always were there for technical advice and support...hope that does not change.

Zamp must have done something right back in the day. They seem to be standard plugs on Four Wheel Camper and some other RVs we've seen. Our 90W portable has been great (but I wish we could have waited for the lighter weight version now available). Way more expensive though.

Like it or not, like the small farm, BIG business is the order of the day....by the way who bought FWC a few years ago?

I guess it does not matter in terms of the products if the quality stays the same or improves...businesses are meant and need to show a profit, just hope the Zamp products don't suffer...

The connector Zamp uses is an SAE documented design, not a proprietary one. They just reverse the polarity for reasons known only to them.

Too bad they collected Front Runner, am betting that they won't be semi-local much longer.

I dislike SAE plugs because they flip the polarity each time one is used in a circuit. One has to be very careful if using SAE extensions- you can start out with the protected pin as positive but then on the other end it is the non-protected pin and vice versa.

The connector Zamp uses is an SAE documented design, not a proprietary one. They just reverse the polarity for reasons known only to them.

Too bad they collected Front Runner, am betting that they won't be semi-local much longer.

Of course they are bulkier but I have pretty much standardized all my 12VDC connectors to the Anderson style mostly 50A but I do use a few 350A ones on very high draw items like winches.

Before other options were commonly available they were the go-to for higher power polarized connectors for 10 ga. & smaller wires. Since I would be making any such extension the polarization would be maintained.

Back
Top Bottom