Dometic furnace sail switch rehash/update

What was emphasized was to use the new mounting block. Online, I see the mounting block for 82 is indeed quite different. So, I'm not certain the switch is different but the mounting block is.

Shawn, the person at Dometic with whom I spoke, said initially techs were re-using the old mounting block with the new switch but still having the same heater ignition problems.

https://www.amazon.com/33082-sail-Switch-Dometic-Bracket/dp/B0B5K1TWV9/ref=asc_df_B0B5K1TWV9?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80608063553906&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207595095564&psc=1

But, I'm not certain this bracket will even fit existing mounting hole.

Which brings my attention back to Rich's info directing us to 33081 rather than 33082. The mount (from Amazon link Rich provided) appears like will certainly work on model DFSAD12111.

I think I may have been misinformed - thus why I called back only to get the same info (from the same person) :oops:

I'm definitely puzzled (and kinda pissed) by these issues with sail switches even down to which darn part number is the latest, greatest.

And there's more... this is from https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-furnace-sail-switch-with-bracket-33081

Dometic Furnace Sail Switch With Bracket 33081

Atwood / Dometic Furnace Sail Switch With Bracket Upgrade Kit 33081

THIS PART NUMBER HAS CHANGED TO 36160.

IN-STOCK

Commonly confused with 33082 (different bracket & different applicability)

Kit Contents:

Sail Switch 33063 (flat blade style)
Upgraded Sail Switch Bracket (model applicability specific)

Maybe even Shawn at Dometic (and me) were "commonly confused". I can get two switches from this vendor, including shipping for $45.64.

Wow! My head is whirling! What exactly needs to be ordered to alleviate this issue with the heater? Which "kits" or switches should a person order to correct an issue with the heater in a FWC? Thanks... :cool:

"Which "kits" or switches should a person order to correct an issue with the heater in a FWC?"

Exactly! Why is this so difficult?

I'm now in agreement with Rich on 33081.

One thing to keep in mind. The huge Dometic company has been busy buying up RV supply companies almost to the point of a monopoly. Confusion over parts and service comes with that.

ski3pin said:
One thing to keep in mind. The huge Dometic company has been busy buying up RV supply companies almost to the point of a monopoly. Confusion over parts and service comes with that.
That's certainly true. Dometic has replaced numerous brand names including Atwood, the original manufacturers of the RV furnaces installed in the FWCs. They have displaced some refrigeration products as well, commonly found in boats and have gotten into the overlanding market as well with their portable 12v refrigerators (I guess they couldn't manage to displace Engel so they came up with their own version to compete).. Also, some of the overhead fans that are common in RVs were taken over by Dometic to name but a few. The original manufacturer's products, before all these takeovers were reasonably reliable. Dometic is a really big outfit and probably not as focussed on engineering or quality control as the original manufacturers were. Not really a bad company, just probably spread too thin with too many products that need to be properly supported and quality controlled.

As far as the sail switch goes, if you're having problems with the 33082 switch I'd opt for the 33081 kit as a replacement or a spare.
JD's link to the 33081 kit had a very good kit price point, significantly better than the Amazon price point.

Rich

I figured this would be a good time to do the exercise of removing and inspecting the sail switch in my furnace. My camper is a 2020 Grandby with the DFSD12111 furnace. FWIW, the sail switch and bracket look like the 33081 version (at least based on the photos on the Amazon links). I'm not sure the 33082 version would work without drilling additional mounting holes:

Sail Switch Bracket-cropped.jpg

Has anyone actually installed that 33082 bracket and sail switch in their furnace successfully?

Our furnace worked just fine for the first year or so at elevations above 9000'. However, recently it started clicking and turning on and off when running when at higher elevations. Removing the silver ducting solved that problem. However, I thought I should inspect the sail switch to make sure it wasn't dirty - it looked fine.

I may order one of the 33081 versions as a spare to see how it compares.

-Scott

Question always lurking when problems are discussed: How often has an issue actually occurred? Of all the heaters in FWCs used at altitude how often does the air flow past a sail switch cause erratic functioning?

Don't get me wrong; always good to have a "Plan B" available if your furnace stops working, especially at altitude in the winter.

I ordered a 33081 [$24 w/shipping] and will stash it in our '16 Hawk; cuz on ski trips at below zero I need a Plan B! :rolleyes:

I got lost in the numbers....could someone advise me which sail switch to buy to have on hand as a back up for my 2022 hawk?
Thanks

IDPaddler said:
I got lost in the numbers....could someone advise me which sail switch to buy to have on hand as a back up for my 2022 hawk?
Thanks
You should refer to post number 1. But here's a summary:

To start with, give Dometic tech support a call and have your furnace model number and serial number available. They will tell you which part number you should use for a spare. This whole discussion centered around Dometic furnace model DFSAD12111. If your serial number indicates that sail switch #33082 was installed, then Dometic says that you should swap that out with sail switch kit #33081, assuming you're having problems keeping the furnace lit, with the original switch #33082. Or you may simply want a backup spare in case #33082 fails.

Once again, call Dometic, to confirm the correct sail switch model number for your particular furnace. Based solely on what Dometic told me last year, I purchased a spare sail switch kit (#33081) for my DFSAD12111 furnace (which was installed in my 2020 FWC Hawk shell, which came with the #33082 switch installed). For sure, people have had issues with the #33082 switch, but not everyone has had a problem. I know for certain that I didn't. You don't need to swap it out if your furnace is running well. My furnace still has the #33082 switch installed and has worked flawlessly for over two years in all weather conditions as well as altitudes of over 10,000 ft. But if it fails I will replace the switch with my spare #33081 kit. Don't mess with it if it hasn't caused you problems. Rich

My apology for my hand in confusing this issue (my conversation with Dometic was different than Rich's). Yeah, it might take some dedicated study to follow the issues. Not a drive thru.

Just get the 33081 if you have model #DFSAD12111

J D said:
My apology for my hand in confusing this issue (my conversation with Dometic was different than Rich's). Yeah, it might take some dedicated study to follow the issues. Not a drive thru.

Just get the 33081 if you have model #DFSAD12111
JD - Checking the serial number of the model #DFSAD12111 furnace is important in determining the correct sail switch. For example, check out the following link: https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-furnace-model-dfsad12111-tune-up-kit

Their Tune-up Kit #2 Is Only Applicable To Serial Numbers After 72498929. If you call Dometic, they will confirm this.
The Tune-Up Kit #2 mentioned in the link Includes, amongst other part numbers, item #4524: Sail Switch #33081 (New P# 36160) (flat blade).

There are model #DFSAD12111 furnaces manufactured before s/n 72498929.that don't use the #33081 sail switch. So, before you order your spare sail switch #33081, make sure your s/n is after 72498929. I think you can find your serial number for your particular furnace in the paperwork packet of equipment and serial numbers (for your particular camper) that FWC provides you when you purchase the camper. If you don't have that packet anymore you'll need to look for the s/n stamped on your furnace.

Rich

ri-f said:
JD - Checking the serial number of the model #DFSAD12111 furnace is important in determining the correct sail switch. For example, check out the following link: https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-furnace-model-dfsad12111-tune-up-kit

Their Tune-up Kit #2 Is Only Applicable To Serial Numbers After 72498929. If you call Dometic, they will confirm this.
The Tune-Up Kit #2 mentioned in the link Includes, amongst other part numbers, item #4524: Sail Switch #33081 (New P# 36160) (flat blade).

There are model #DFSAD12111 furnaces manufactured before s/n 72498929.that don't use the #33081 sail switch. So, before you order your spare sail switch #33081, make sure your s/n is after 72498929. I think you can find your serial number for your particular furnace in the paperwork packet of equipment and serial numbers (for your particular camper) that FWC provides you when you purchase the camper. If you don't have that packet anymore you'll need to look for the s/n stamped on your furnace.

Rich

Paging Stan @FWC....perhaps FWC can provide when the furnaces they installed [year/month?] have s/n after 72498929 and would use the #33081?

Okay, but....

My model# is DFSAD12111 and SN:11295264. This places my serial number well before 72498929. My sail switch is most definitely a flat blade - suggesting it's part #33081.

There is too much discrepancy in available information.

FWC should add sail switch kits to it's new online store (including accurate part numbers for specific heaters).

J D said:
Okay, but....

My model# is DFSAD12111 and SN:11295264. This places my serial number well before 72498929. My sail switch is most definitely a flat blade - suggesting it's part #33081.

There is too much discrepancy in available information.

FWC should add sail switch kits to it's new online store (including accurate part numbers for specific heaters).

Hmmm..wrong switch? "furnaces manufactured before s/n 72498929.that don't use the #33081 sail switch"...I am confused...s/n 72,498,929 seems to be higher than your s/n 11,295,264; therefore your furnace was not made after 72498929?

Description 33082
Commonly confused with 33081 (different bracket & different applicability)
New pn= 36165
Kit Contents:
  • Sail Switch 33063
  • Upgraded Sail Switch Bracket
Description 33081

twood / Dometic Furnace Sail Switch With Bracket Upgrade Kit 33081
THIS PART NUMBER HAS CHANGED TO 36160.
IN-STOCK
Commonly confused with 33082 (different bracket & different applicability)
Kit Contents:
  • Sail Switch 33063 (flat blade style)
  • Upgraded Sail Switch Bracket (model applicability specific)
=========================================================
Same sail switch in both; difference is in the bracket ??????

<< Same sail switch in both; difference is in the bracket ?????? >>

That's how it looks to me. I don't actually have a FWC yet (it's on order), but I was curious about the furnace issues, so I looked around online and found the following points:

1. The Dometic furnaces in FWCs are "DFS" series, which are "small" RV furnaces. However, Dometic also makes the closely-related "DFM' series, which are "medium" RV furnaces. If you download the furnace manual posted at the FWC website, you will see that it covers both DFS and DFM furnaces.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Dometic-Furnace-Installation-Manual-DFSAD-12111.pdf?x15820

2. Apparently the DFS and DFM models both use the same sail switch, which is part 33063. However, the switch is usually packaged in a kit with different brackets, depending on whether it is meant for use in a DFS or DFM furnace.

3. The kit for DFS furnaces (the ones in FWCs) was traditionally part number 33081, which comes in a kit with a simple L-shaped bracket. The part number for the DFS kit is apparently now 36160.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-furnace-sail-switch-with-bracket-33081

You can see the sail switch and the L-shaped bracket in the DFS furnace diagram here:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-dfsd12-rv-mojave-propane-heater-furnace-12k-parts-breakdown/

3. The kit for DFM furnaces apparently uses the same sail switch, but with a completely different bracket, square with a hole in the middle. The part number for the DFM kit was traditionally 33082, but is apparently now 36165.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-furnace-sail-switch-with-bracket-33082

You can see the sail switch and the square-hole bracket in the DFM furnace diagram here:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-dfmd20-rv-mojave-propane-heater-furnace-20k-parts-breakdown/

4. At this point, my guess is that the sail switch from either kit 33081/36160 or kit 33082/36165 will work; the switch should be the identical part 33063 in either case. But if you want the bracket as well, then make sure you get kit 33081/36160. The bracket in 33082/36165 is designed for DFM furnaces and won't fit a DFS.

5. The sail switch was apparently redesigned at some point. The DFS furnace parts diagram has two options for sail switches: the newer 33081 and the older 31093:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-dfsd12-rv-mojave-propane-heater-furnace-12k-parts-breakdown/

But the 31093 sail switch looks totally different. Doubt that it is a factor unless your furnace is older:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-31093-oem-rv-furnace-air-flow-sail-switch-afs-series/

I know the issue of the sail switches had probably been beaten to death but I hate to be stuck without spare parts so I was going to get a 33081 as a spare. As I researched, iT seems like there's now another option, the 36160. I don't know if the just renumbered the 33081 to reduce confusion but...

Back
Top Bottom