Done something really stupid?

Moose Dog's story is somewhat reminiscent of one about my longtime friend Stuart and his father Don. Stuart and I were geology school classmates at Appalachian State, where field skills were emphasized to the nth degree. Stuart's father was in the middle years of an exemplary career teaching geology at one of the most rigorous universities on the East Coast while his son and I earned our Bachelors' degrees. Stuart went on to earn a Masters and immediately began what is now a nearly 40 year career in oil and gas exploration and years ago reached the top of the heap--Exploration Manager--at his company. Don by that time was a retired Professor Emeritus.

So, Don enjoys researching, finding, and photographing old grist mill sites. Now well into his 90s, his only driving is the 2 mile jaunt across town to his University office, a trip he makes daily M-F. So son Stuart does the driving and navigating on their field trips. For most of the last 40 years Stuart has worn a jacket and tie to work in a high-rise in downtown Houston, so his field work has been limited to finding his way to the day's lunch spot where he negotiates participation deals with other explorationists over linen tablecloths and real china. But having the latest and greatest of digital devices at his fingertips is a requirement inasmuch as he must be able to receive and respond to drilling status reports 24/7/365. Alas, Stuart's handheld devices are loaded with communication applications and drill log imaging apps, not land navigation apps, so only the phone's elementary GPS is available, and he but rarely needs to use it.

A couple of years ago, Stuart flies to NC to spend a few days with Don and they've got a grand loop of central and western NC grist mill sites to find and photograph. All is well until they get into the nether regions of Caldwell County among the vast network of deep gorges draining the south side of Grandfather Mountain. The county road and Forest Service road network displayed on Stuart's screen doesn't match what they're seeing on the ground and Stuart correctly surmises his iPhone has become useless as a land navigation tool. They spent nearly 3 hours fairly bewildered and uncertain of their position. What to do?

It was a Saturday in March and Stuart figured I'd be at my office (correct). He further figured I'd have my DeLorme NC Atlas and Gazetteer on my desk among all of the tax forms and client documents (I did). He further figured I'd have online USGS topo map access at the 7.5 degree quad sheet scale only a few clicks away on my desktop computer (once again correct). So Stuart phones me from 200 miles to tell me he's "a little turned around" (we NEVER use the term "lost") and requests my perusal of some map imagery of the area around Edgemont, NC and a few words on how best to get back to Lenoir. In a few minutes, I figured out where they were and suggested a couple of routes out of the woods.

Thus ended the embarrassing "turned around" experience of two individuals who were once among the finest field geologists ever produced by East Coast universities, but were decades distant from keeping maps and map skills at hand. But the conclusion of that experience begat a new era of ribbing between Stuart and yours truly. Stuart is now known only as "Magellan". Even Don calls him that sometimes.

Foy

Daniel Boone was said to have responded to the question "have you ever been lost" with "I was never lost, but I was once bewildered for 3 weeks".

I was turned around once. Had the bad fortune of being with Dirty Dog, the creator of Wander the West. It was he who gave me the Magellan moniker.

Ted said:
I was turned around once. Had the bad fortune of being with Dirty Dog, the creator of Wander the West. It was he who gave me the Magellan moniker.
Most likely I was subliminally recalling Ted's nickname when I blurted a reply to Stuart upon receiving his call. "What's the matter, Magellan, did your little toy phone get you turned around? Where are your maps?". He'd had it on speaker and I could hear Don guffawing in the background.

Fear not, Ted, your name was used with the greatest of sincerity and goodwill. Apparently both you and Stuart have earned it.

Foy

Cayuse, are you channeling my Dad? That sounds like one of his philosophical lines ..hahaha...

FYI when they were, um, bewildered at Lake Serene he missed his flight back.

There's another story, " Tent on Fire at 25000 Feet " but not so relatable to us here, except the survive the stupid part!

Good stuff folks ! Funny tho, that these 'lost' stories are usually about someone else ... not that it's ever happened to me :ninja:

He's one on me...

Back in our courting days my girl and I used to do a lot of winter camping. This particular time we visited a provincial park that had no winter services but left some large parking lots open for overnight camping.

We arrive after work to find no one else there ... yippie ! Drive to the end of the lot and park, well, not quite the end as there was a ski trail head nearby so I left a little bit of space. We set up and get all comfy and cosy. Then an RV pulls in. Guess where he parks ?! And the second the motor shuts off the tunes turn on, kids pile out, shrieking and merriment ensue etc. That's okay, it gets dark soon, mob goes inside. Generator starts up, music turns up.

Was it all done on purpose, IDK. Did it tick me off and set me up to do something dumb, you betcha.

So, we decide to move. I try to lower the top but have difficulty - I should mention, at the time we carried the spare tire on the camper roof, back near the door. The trick to lowering was to first push up to unload the weight of the tire, hold it, pull the folding panel out over centre then lower the top in a controlled manner. Wasn't happening. Drive with it up. Relocate further away. Settle in again. Go to bed.

It gets cold - I think the LPG ran out. Can't sleep. So I figure it would be a lot warmer if the top was down. Try again, struggle, get ticked of again. It's just too heavy and I'm too tired.

I go outside to try to pull off the tire... faint sound of music in the night air... but it's too high up and the roof rack lip is impeding it. It's pitch black, well below freezing and prob my hands cold too, LOL.

Dumbness kicks in. I climb onto the truck hood then up onto the camper roof. Spread eagle, I inch rearward toward the offending object intent on pushing it off. I'm almost within reach when I hear it, the dreaded 'crack!'. And the rear of the roof goes down quickfast. Now it's easy to move the tire off. :cautious:

Fortunately the damage wasn't too bad. The rear folding panel was toast and there was a hole or two in the vinyl. Could have been worse.

Later, lying in bed, it occurred to me that the tire could have been pulled off with a rope (which I had) tied to a tree (lot's around) and by driving forward. Or I could have simply waited until morning and tried in the daylight and when better rested. But no, I was was too busy thinking about the RV guy.

Granted, the damage wasn't really his fault but blaming him makes me feel better.

Now the policy when we are out is - stay calm.

klahanie said:
We arrive after work to find no one else there ... yippie ! Drive to the end of the lot and park, well, not quite the end as there was a ski trail head nearby so I left a little bit of space. We set up and get all comfy and cosy. Then an RV pulls in. Guess where he parks ?!
We call it the magnet affect. Wherever it is that you park, whether to take a photo or spend the night, the next visitor feels compelled to snuggle right up against your rig. I've had people park so close behind, on an otherwise empty side of the road, that I couldn't open the back door. :oops:

Good advice to stay calm. We've also learned it's easier to move than try to modify the behavior of others. :p

Holy catfish Batman, note to self: don’t set and forget a retrieving bumper on the cowl of the truck when Fritz the Wonder Dog is loose. I now have a form of dog induced pin striping.

I'm on a roll.....

Forgot to latch the top down on my 2013 FWC Fleet and my newly installed lifts really work well and fully extended the front roof while driving down the road. No damage...but I'm sure I provided amusement to several folks. Made it home and opened up the fantastic fan while unloading. I failed to close the vent after lowering the roof and proceeded to drive into my garage. The weakest link on the lift arm works! Sheared...now needs replacement. Must be all this heat! On the positive side while the fantastic fan is opened up I found the heat sink on the speed controller that several of you have posted about. I think I'll replace it with a switch rather than the power sump.

For the longest while I have been unable to contribute to this thread....just could not think of anything. :sneaky: .

Oh.....okay.

Another of our favorite campers of all time is our Canadian built Box Tent, a fiberglass unit that fits in a pickup bed, has a solid roof that cranks straight up and side fold out tent portions....it rocks.

On a two month trip north to south in the Great Basin we were driving through an immense valley when an obvious thunder boomer filled the western sky.

As we knew what to expect, we just sort of dawdled and enjoyed the sky and distant rain.

When the blow reached our side of the valley the top of the camper violently raised to full height and both matresses with bedding blew about three hundred feet into the scrub...and small cacti.

The top settled down smoothly and we retrieved our bedding within an hour.

There was not another living human in that valley and somehow it all seemed a bit surreal.

The camper was not designed with any sort of hold downs but some long ratchet straps did the trick for the rest of our trip.

BTW, we still enjoy the little rig and now have it mounted on a strong 4 X 8 trailer.....been to Baja twice with it.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom