Done something really stupid?

I've seen roads where the surface was dry, you could even walk on it and not know it couldn't support a truck.

I'll take a strap any day over digging with a shovel!

CougarCouple said:
Hello teledork
You must be living right, that's awesome someone came over to help. Maybe the shore looked looked dry, but I bet you check next time!
Being stuck short time waaaaaaay better than long time.
Russ
You can bet I'll check next time but as Craig333 said - it may have supported me but still grabbed the truck. And I have some gratitude to pay forward. Apparently the guy in the Excursion loves to rescue people. His kids sat on the rocks eating ice cream.

We've had bear issues in the neighborhood, including a friend having the back half of his RV ripped open by a bear.
Consequently, I've been parking our truck/camper inside the garage at night. The clearance is very tight, and I've had to modify my garage door lift to accommodate the height of the Hawk, plus Fantastic Fan and solar panel.

It was dark and even though I jumped up on a nearby ladder, I did not see the fan lid was raised. I back up slowly, always. Yet, I heard a crunch. So did SR. She came right out to see what had happened. A shard of plastic was in the driveway. I wrestled with the lift arm as she tightened the knob inside and we were able to lower the broken lid enough to back into the garage.

Question: What do most folks upgrade towards from the basic 3 speed Fantastic Fan. I would like a slower, quieter speed, and don't really care about remotes.

Lighthhawk,
Perform this google search regarding the quieter speed issue on the fantastic fan. I did this mod and works great.

pwm fan controller site:wanderthewest.com

TrapperMike said:

Question: What do most folks upgrade towards from the basic 3 speed Fantastic Fan. I would like a slower, quieter speed, and don't really care about remotes.

Lighthhawk,
Perform this google search regarding the quieter speed issue on the fantastic fan. I did this mod and works great.

pwm fan controller site:wanderthewest.com

We have the variable speed fan with remotes. They work fine but the remote function is a pain and drains the battery whether the fan is on or not. The rain sensor function is nice.

If I had it to do again, I would get the simple fan and do as TrapperMike suggests.

Don't know if this counts, but I now have acorns inside my front fantastic fan. They fell in from the tree I parked under previous two days. Hm.

(I'll climb up there tomorrow and fish them out)

No need to climb on your roof. One possibility is to open the lid fully, turn on the fan, and tap each acorn from inside. Usually, objects will bounce high enough to be hit by the fan and ejected.

Another way is to pry the screen off and clean from below. Wipe down the fan blades while the screen is off. Then snap the screen back into place. It will seem as though you are tearing it apart when prying off the screen.

Search for "video fantastic fan screen removal" if you need encouragement.

Paul

Hi Paul,
I saw that there's a little tab for pulling the screen off, but it definitely was snug and I was worried I'd break some plastic tabs, especially not knowing how exactly it's held on! I'll look for one of those videos - after I try the ejecting acorn thing. I didn't think of that. I thought they'd just get crunched. Ha!

thanks!

Keys. Glasses. Essential for driving. And I lose them over and over. I keep my truck key in my pants pocket so that I will always have it. Twice on my last trip, I packed up the camper, lowered and latched the top and reached for my key. No key. I thought it must have fallen out of my pocket when I was walking the dogs. It must have fallen on the ground when I reached into my pocket for a poop bag. Several kind people helped me search. No luck. Finally I raised the camper roof, searched the camper and gear. Keeping my key in my pocket works well until I change my pants and leave the key in the dirty pants pocket.

Anyone have a good system for hiding a key on the outside of the truck or camper?

I hide a key to the camper in the electric cord compartment. Inside the camper is a spare key to the truck. Even if don't have the compartment key (ch751 so someone probably has one) its easy enough to just pop it open. Its not the most secure system but if someone really wants in keys aren't going to stop them.

No worries for lost key for us. I carry a AAA plastic card key in my wallet.

AAA.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think they offer this service anymore with the new generation of "smart" keys.

hoyden said:
Don't know if this counts, but I now have acorns inside my front fantastic fan. They fell in from the tree I parked under previous two days. Hm.

(I'll climb up there tomorrow and fish them out)
LB the screen should just pop off easily then just snap back into place. Just go easy with it and you should be OK.

Frank

I have a hide-a-key magnet box. I seal it tight with gorilla black tape and put it under the truck in a spot on the frame. nearly invisible. (I also undercoat the truck so it is camouflaged). I have only had to use it once in 15 years. I hide a set of camper keys in the spare tire jack box. The new spare keys aren't cheap but having one hidden in case beats walking miles out!

I see myself a lot in this thread ... on the keys I twice locked us out of the vehicle in front of the same restaurant - on separate trips Now I do the carabiner on the belt thing plus one on a wrist band plus the wife wears a complete set around the neck. And still I worry ...

Don't know if this one has been posted yet ... I once bought a brand new fibreglass canoe from far out of town. On the drive home I decided to go to a self car wash. This was a long time ago so it wasn't one of the modern huge open cinder block types, instead it was a converted building with overhead doors. Not really tall doors but taller than the "truck" itself. Driving in I thought I heard something bad happening but continued on anyway. Once inside my mistake was obvious. I was the tallest vehicle in there !

The overhead door appeared mostly undamaged - fortunately it had a rubber weather seal on the bottom edge. The canoe I couldn't check because it was too high up but was still secure. So I proceeded with my washing while nonchalantly letting air out of the tires. Left a little soap on the boat to squeeze thru the out door and all was good except for the symmetrical scrape on the hull where it had compressed. Leaving a mark that looked like a water line.

That was the first time the boat got wet.

I bought my Hawk with the vent only with no fan. Then I had buyers remorse and decided to put the fan in my self basic 3 speed. The hawk comes with the fantastic vent so all I did was buy the complete 1250 vent and stripped out the fan part. You don't have to get on the roof and cut out the old one. I was able to do everything from below except for securing the fan to the old vent frame with 4 small screws. Easy job I got the complete set up off Amazon for 125 bucks. Love it by the way, well worth it

This story isn't me, but my Dad's and it is so worth telling. To paraphrase his better in-person recollection:

My Dad and his two best buddies got together for a mini reunion. The three of them were 'old school' mountaineers and climbers in the most extreme sense; they put up first ascents in the Karakorum and Antarctica. One of them held five falling men on K2 - we'll call him 'The Eagle' -one did the west traverse of Everest - ' WT' for this story, and my dad tended to be the expedition leader. Around this time they were probably in their 70's and the three of them figured they had 150 years of mountaineering experience.

These three clowns decided to go for a simple day hike to - wait for it - 'Lake Serene'. Nothing to it. Just a few easy miles.

First they found that the trail was closed, but being who they were this didn't stop them one bit. Off they went bushwhacking. Then they got lost, but again, dauntless, they kept. Going. At one point WT was scrambling ahead up some steep incline, the others called out out to him. " It eases off after the next 15 feet!" WT hollered. Yup they kept going.

The Eagle said they'd run into a logging road which they could follow out, and sure enough they finally came to a clearing. Tramped down earth with a couple of beer cans strewn about. It must be the logging road....where is the exit....ah no. It was a helicopter landing site.They were scampering around the helicopter logging backcountry.

So they started bushwhacking down. The hours wore on, it was starting to get dark, they had brought no extra food or warm clothing or anything of extra use because all they were doing was hiking to Lake Serene. HA!

Further motivation to return in one piece was amplified by the fact that if these particular three had to be rescued, they would never, ever hear the end of it. Finally at dark they found their car, completely exhausted. They marveled that out of their combined 150 years of mountaineering experience, they managed to do literally EVERYTHING WRONG on a hike to a place with such a ridiculously gentle name.

On the drive out my dad said, " I'm never going out with you guys again!"

" Oh yes you will!" Retorted WT.

Dad: " And why is that?"

WT: " Because you're STUPID!"

Ahh friends.

I begged my Dad to submit this story to a magazine, my argument being it would make virtually everyone feel better about stupid stuff they've done. He never did so I'm sharing it here for all to enjoy.

Moose Dog, you get a gold star for that one! Give your Dad and his buddies a platinum star. The conversation at the finish sounds, oh so familiar! :)

Back
Top Bottom