Don't use DEET!

Squatch

Don't spray DEET on the plastic parts of your camper!

I knew that! But have sprayed it on tent screens in the past without issue so I took the chance.

We were in the Outer Banks of NC. They have a small problem with "No See 'Em's" down that way. They were getting in the camper and causing trouble so we sprayed the screens with "Deep Woods OFF". It worked great for the little nasties. But the plastic of the roof vents on the screen door weren't crazy about the stuff. it left a mottled look to them.

These pics were taken after we got home and gave the camper and all these surfaces a good cleaning. The screens seem fine with no issues. But the vents speak for themselves.

We will try something different next time. Not sweating the little damage. The vents will likely be swapped out for vents with fans in them soon.

My prescription fishing sunglasses have flip-down plastic polarized lenses and they came with a specific warning to avoid getting DEET on them. DEET will etch plastic. Bummer about the vent roofs, but it sounds like you are taking it in stride.

FWIW I've used DEET to help remove pine pitch from my truck (not on plastic surfaces) and rubbed a small amount on the headlights to remove some of the oxidized haze (but don't use too much, or you etch the headlights!!!).

highz said:
FWIW I've used DEET to help remove pine pitch from my truck (not on plastic surfaces) and rubbed a small amount on the headlights to remove some of the oxidized haze (but don't use too much, or you etch the headlights!!!).
Finally a use for all of my old DEET cans!

Kolockum said:
Finally a use for all of my old DEET cans!
Well, be sure to only rub a little on the headlights and wash it off afterwards, then give the headlights a coat of wax. My friend used too much DEET on his headlights and they ended up worse than before because of etching.

Sun block can cloud plastics also. We have a few nice clear plastic tumblers with cloudy hand prints burned into them.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great and this is stuff we spray on ourselves!
Highz,did it work on the pitch on the truck/camper?
I am trying to find something that will get the pitch off my rig.
Frank
Fortunately, our skin is not made of plastic :giggle:

Frank, DEET works best on pitch that is still sticky or on small spots. Once it has hardened, the best use I've found is to spray it so it seeps under the edges, then try and pop off the pitch glob with a credit card. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It will still remove hardened pitch little by little with a lot of elbow grease, but maybe there is something better out there for this than DEET.

Oh, and some people worry it will damage the clear coat on vehicle paint. It hasn't been a problem on my old rig, but maybe it would be good to test a spot that isn't noticeable.

I've always used Coleman fuel (white gas) on pitch and no problems with the finish. Deet can sure do some interesting things to plastic. Those No-see-ums are nasty. Happy camping, Bigfoot Dave

If you ever find olive drab, (OD) DEET also known as mil spec DEET, (Because it is Mil Spec) be even more vigilant. Just putting the stuff on your clothes will soften or melt a BIC pen in your pocket and turn foam earplugs to mush. On the up side in concentrated form you can start a fire with it, cut any amount of crud from a rifle barrel and it will certainly repel mosquito's both small and large, bugs, reptiles, and small mammals.

Holding your breath and getting a good dousing of dark diesel exhaust seems to help repel mosquito's too. Both are pretty extreme measures and not recommended for general use.

I've lost more than a few fly lines to DEET, but sometimes it's all that works on black flies. I've had good luck with Cutter Advanced on mosquitoes and gnats. I use RAID Flying Insect spray around my camper.

DEET is nasty stuff, I try to use as little of it as possible. Watch out for the rubberized grips on binoculars and cameras, too. It does very bad things to them.

Shadyapex said:
DEET is nasty stuff, I try to use as little of it as possible. Watch out for the rubberized grips on binoculars and cameras, too. It does very bad things to them.
I worry about getting it on camera lens coatings, so I try to not use it.

Back
Top Bottom