Door Lock on FWC?

Longbeard87

Advanced Member
Anyone have problems with their door lock? Referring to the mechanism that is built into the door, not the deadbolt. Mine has a red handle on the inside.

We had a situation where the locking mechanism got loose inside and were unable to unlock the door. Fortunately happened when two people were inside so they could open the emergency window. I was able to crawl in the window and disassemble the lock, find the issue and get it open.

Just wondering if anyone else had problems. I think road vibration loosened the internal linkage screws and the link actually fell apart.

That issue could end an expedition real quick.
If that were to happen, how would you go about breaking into your camper while in camp?

Didn't realize it was/has happened to others. This is a 2017 camper. Looks like some locktight may have prevented the problem.

I had a problem with my dead bolt. My dead bolt came a bit loose and wiggled out. When it did the lip of the dead bolt grabbed the door striker plate. I was locked out and about ready to start cutting when I slid the dead bolt and it freed it up.

gs6YzDr.jpg

Seems to me I wrote about this problem with my 05 Granby a few years ago (couldn't figure out how put the thread in here) too ! One of the screws came loose on the lock mechanism, and the thing then jammed up the works and me and my trusty pooch "Bob" got locked inside the camper one nice cool morning on the Modoc NF! Had to crawl out the emergency exit and could not get at the problem from there and open the door :oops: and had to crawl back in thru the window and attack the problem from the inside ( had to take the door apart)!! Did I mention, I just had back surgery a few months before and my doctors said I could go camping if I took it easy-well-I blew that all to hell! Anyway, got it opened up and had to put it all back together (a two person job). and ended up with a new locking system where I used only the dead bolt to lock and unlock the door-never used the other small lock again! We had one interesting discussion here on what happened and will try to get the post date from the site data system!

Anyway, got her fixed and everyone on this site started to tighten all the door screws as part of the regular maint. procedures! I got tired of the whole locking thing and had a lock smith replace the whole lock/dead lock mechanism with a one lock does it all system! Did learn from him never to use WD-40 on locks but instead use TRI-FLOW superior lubricant instead!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom