Drain plug

So I've been draining my hot water tank after every camping trip and my drain plug and knuckles are taking a beating. Is it necessary to drain the hot water tank after evevery tripnand where can I get a new plug because mine is chewed to heck. It's really hard for me to get the plug out due to design; is there a special trick to getting it out because its always a blood bath. #mypoorknuckles

What does everyone else do with water in tank?

I plan on draining mine once maybe twice a year. We go out for at least a weekend every 3 weeks or so. Just fill the water tanks before each trip.

Perhaps you can remote mount a ball valve for the drain? Given that it's hot water I would suggest plumbing in either heater hose or soft copper tube (with extra length for vibration relief).

Its been nine years, I suppose I should get around to draining mine. Still works just fine though I expect the anode no longer exists.

While my FWC is sans a hot water heater, the motorhome I owned had one. I drained it every fall when freezing temps were a possibility and I wasn't actively using it. Mine just used a regular PVC plug. I tried to fit a valve but drain port/cover clearance was not enough to allow it. Maybe a petcock like the old radiators used would have cleared?

Stan,you are the man!

Thanks

Craig 333, Holy cow nine years, I thought water is the best environment for bacteria.

Warm water, sterilization is considered anything over 160 degrees. We go way over that at work to achieve "kosher" temps. Not sure what the camper sees before it shuts off but I"ve never seen anything that would worry me.

Living in the north, I drain the entire water system in the fall and leave the annode plug out. In the spring I sanitize and charge the system, and it is good for the season. The water heater drain on mine is the annode plug which I wire brush and clean up annually. Maybe you have something different, beause I don't think the annode plug will get "chewed to heck". It is stout, and takes 1-1/8" socket. I replaced it once only because it was severely corroded when I bought the camper used (PO probably didn't service it like I do, because the annual corrosion of the annode is fairly mild). I suppose if I lived in a non-freezing climate I would drain and flush the tank(s) once a year anyhow (it's a steel tank). I see no reason at all to drain the water heater tank every trip. Think of how often your water heater at home gets drained? Have you ever seen the crud that comes out of one (sure it depends upon your water supply a great deal)? Ideally, one would drain it every year or so also, but I think most folks never worry about it.

I've had problems with the crud from the anode clogging the faucet so I drain and clean the tank regularly. I use a socket with an extension to remove the anode plug with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom