Drivability Camper on 2003 Tacoma

super doody

Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker. My wife has given me the thumbs up for a pop up camper. :D

I currently have a 2003 4x4 Tacoma 3.4l V6. I'm looking for some feedback from folks who have same truck with a FWC or AT camper. Does it feel under powered? How's the braking distance? I know the suspension and frame will need to be beefed up. Any other feed back?

I'm also thinking about the switching to a full size truck as well but I enjoy the mobility and MPG of a mid size truck.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Hi Jim, I have a 93' Tacomea TRD with a 96' FWC Ranger II. With just two people, it works out just fine. Braking and handling are fair and as long as you drive defensively. Suspension is an aftermarket custom spring set by Alcan that really improved the ride, I also installed Bilsteins shocks. For now, it satisfies our needs. The mpg is about 19 or 20 if im easy on the pedal. Im happy with our setup and since I bought my camper so cheap,($1100)! I do not think I will upgrade to anything bigger for some time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome to WTW, Joel

Welcome to the "cult"Jim.There a lot of members that have just the rig you have explained.I have an ATC Bobcat that was made for the Ford Ranger 3.0L V6. After many trips we felt that with the small V6 that the power just wasn't there.Last Sept we changed the Bobcat onto an 02 Tundra AC V8 and really like that setup.My MPG dropped about 2 miles to 15 MPG but we enjoy the extra room and power of the Tundra.
As stated by other members,the small 1/2 ton trucks are a bit over the GVW.IMO that is a personal thin. Like Joel said you just need to adjust your driving habits for the difference.
If you are looking new check out Marty at ATC he will work with you and their costumer support is the best bar non.
Frank

In my experience, the Bilstein 5100 shocks are the best for all around use with the camper on. A lot of folks go for the Deaver leaf packs. I added an extra leaf to my stock spring pack. (tacomas have notoriously weak leaf springs, if you didn't alredy know that.) Adding Firestone airbags will help you get the ride height back up to where it's supposed to be, and it also doubles as a leveling system when you're parked on uneven ground as long as you remembered to throw your bike pump up there in the roof box before you left home.

The 231mm Tundra front rotor/caliper upgrade and some SS lines are a MASSIVE improvement over the stock 1st gen Tacoma brake hardware. The job can be done for around $400 and only takes an hour or so.

Make sure to get a good set of D or E rated tires too.

Thanks for the feed back folks. I still trying to decide between keeping my taco or getting a full size truck. I'll be making visit to FWC first to check out the space and layout in person.

Back
Top Bottom