Driving a FWC with roof in wedge mode?

RicoV

Just got back from 3 weeks of camping up in the Mogollon Rim area of east-central AZ. Simply as an experiment in time-saving when driving to a few nearby attractions, we put the FWC Grandby into 'wedge mode', i.e., the front of the roof was lowered and then locked-in firmly using just the front hinges (pic below?). After several such trips in the area it seemed that we weren't stressing the roof in any manner, even at 60 mph highway speeds of short duration and on a few moderately bumpy dirt roads, and it saved a bit of setup upon our return to camp. But I gotta ask: does anyone see any possible problem(s) with what we did for these short excursions? Thanks,
Rico.

No answers from me... but a question: "..an experiment in time-saving". You mean saving the time it takes to drop the rear half of the roof? :unsure:

I'd like to see the pic -- bet it looks cool, if nothing else! :)

I mean, its just a couple minutes..

I think it would stress something.. but I am no engineer....

I would ask FWC if you want an honest answer. It takes me longer to lower the front, since I have to make the bed somewhat, the back takes only 30 seconds or so, maybe less. I sometimes only pop the back end to load groceries, get a beer or make lunch, but that only takes seconds.

My question is, "Why would you want to risk damage"? My wife and I are always dropping the top. It takes us no more than 5 minutes to drop the top, raise each corner to make sure the soft sides are tucked on their folds, latch the roof, and take one walk around to make sure everything is latched. So when you are use to going through a drive-in, or back country roads at under 9' and you rip your roof apart is saving 2 minutes worth it?

Hate to see what would happen if from latches released at 60MPH. I agree the time savings do not seem worth the risk but whatever floats your boat.

I would not do that, but it is your camper -- you get to do anything you want with it! Happy trails!

Were you trying to get down air pressure on your rear tires for better traction ?

NASCAR drivers have been doing that for years.

Great idea.

Heh heh . . . great replies, thanks! I'm thinking I'll rethink the time savings angle, probably not worth it. So much good help and commentary on the WTW site, and I appreciate being part of it.
Rico.

As others have stated,"it's not worth it IMO".
There are too many things on our mind and it can be easy to forget you only lowered the front .
Then get it damaged by catching it on a low clearance area.

We can get distracted while lowering and forget something.Then the next thing you know boom
big problem.

I do use the "half pop" at a stop to maybe make a coffee of some food thing .But would NEVER
travel like that.

Once I did forget to lower the whole roof but caught it before leaving the camp.
Frank

Well, I have driven in wedge mode accidentally, but in reverse. If you lower the lid, but forget to latch them, air pressure as you drive pushes the front up, but not the back. Felt pretty foolish.

Supposedly you can drive with the roof up, but really why? It is not that difficult to do it fully. Heck, that was the whole reason I bought the ATC/FWC in the first place.

Hi RicoV

On the other hand tilting the roof in camp to angle ones solar cells toward the south is an excellent idea.,,it is very nearly the optimum angle for capturing solar emissions especially in Oregon around the 45 parallel.......................but, not, ummm, while driving.

: ) Be patient, we are a pretty friendly group of folks : )

For those who wanted a look at what I was testing, I'm trying (again) to attach that pic, think it's working

Attachments

• fwc_grandby_wedge_mode_travel.JPG
    fwc_grandby_wedge_mode_travel.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 93
While cleaning the truck/camper I moved from the driveway to the lawn with the top up and snagged the only tree in the yard. It's going to cost you over $2k to replace the fabric even if the tear is only toward the back.

RicoV said:
For those who wanted a look at what I was testing, I'm trying (again) to attach that pic, think it's working
I still think it's a cool look. :cool:

camelracer said:
....It's going to cost you over $2k to replace the fabric even if the tear is only toward the back.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bseek said:
Well, I have driven in wedge mode accidentally, but in reverse. If you lower the lid, but forget to latch them, air pressure as you drive pushes the front up, but not the back. Felt pretty foolish.

Supposedly you can drive with the roof up, but really why? It is not that difficult to do it fully. Heck, that was the whole reason I bought the ATC/FWC in the first place.
I am a member of that club as well; did about 10 miles at freeway speeds before I realized and sheepishly pulled into a turnout to fix it.

As expensive as these campers are, I personally would not even think about traveling in one without lowering the roof all the way and latching down the hatches.

Back
Top Bottom