Dry Fall?

Roger

I am planning on visiting Tuckie Mine in Death Valley pretty soon. I have a 4WD high clearance truck, but I am baffled by "several 3 to 4 foot dry falls." I am guessing these are dry water falls?
I am thinking 45 to 60 degree climbs going into the canyon?
Can anyone enlighten me here?

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry%20Roads.pdf

Thanks

roger

... I am baffled by "several 3 to 4 foot dry falls." I am guessing these are dry water falls?

http://www.nps.gov/d...try%20Roads.pdf

88 views and everyone is as baffled as I am? Guess I'll have to make to the trip now! I will try to take pics of a "dry fall".:eek:

Roger,

I've never done the Tucki Mine trail but I Googled it and it doesn't sound like you would have any problem. One report compared it to the Lemoigne Canyon trail. That trail is slow because it is rocky but it's not difficult. I've found that if the NPS lists a trail it's usually passible with a high clearance 4x4 vehicle but any of these canyons can change with a good rain.

I completed on July 6 and it was pretty awesome! It was a slow in, took about 45 minutes to go the 9 miles. Lots of brush but nothing too technical. I still don't know what a "dry fall" is even after doing the trail!

Thanks,

Roger
tuckie mine trail tight spot.JPG

Roger,

I've never done the Tucki Mine trail but I Googled it and it doesn't sound like you would have any problem. One report compared it to the Lemoigne Canyon trail. That trail is slow because it is rocky but it's not difficult. I've found that if the NPS lists a trail it's usually passible with a high clearance 4x4 vehicle but any of these canyons can change with a good rain.

I have a 4WD high clearance truck, but I am baffled by "several 3 to 4 foot dry falls." I am guessing these are dry water falls?

Sorry, Roger, I just noticed this post. Yes, dry falls are only wet falls in the rain or flash floods. Some are lower angles but others might be 90 degrees but perhaps filled in with rocks and dirt, either naturally or by humans. After rain or floods, there might be big changes.

Didn't you find anything like that on your recent canyon drive?

Stew,

I guess a couple of area could have been dry falls, but there were definally not any 90 degree ones. I think, at most, there was maybe a a couple of 30 to 45 degree falls in a narrow part of the trail and right when you get off the paved road was the deepest dip/wash. I guess I was expecting something more sinister!
Either way the truck handled it fine. The kids enjoyed the bumpy roads and exploring the old ruins.

Thanks!

Sorry, Roger, I just noticed this post. Yes, dry falls are only wet falls in the rain or flash floods. Some are lower angles but others might be 90 degrees but perhaps filled in with rocks and dirt, either naturally or by humans. After rain or floods, there might be big changes.

Didn't you find anything like that on your recent canyon drive?

Back
Top Bottom