Dual-purpose rear floodlamps

JHanson

Those of you who opted for the extremely bright Grote LED rear floodlamps on your newer FWC might find this of value. I turned ours into extremely effective remote-controlled reversing lights with a $25 product.

Those of you who opted for the extremely bright Grote LED rear floodlamps on your newer FWC might find this of value. I turned ours into extremely effective remote-controlled reversing lights with a $25 product.

Nice write up at OTT (fixed it)
And good discussion about the evolution of the auto light bulb choices too.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks for the comments Andy.

But . . . not OJ! No longer associated with them. Roseann and I run the Overland Expo and Overland Tech and Travel.

You could and its better than the stock lights, but I found I need light to the sides far more than I need light directly behind me. I have these wired directly (not quite directly, it does use a relay) to my backup lights. Really puts the light where its most useful.
bumpstepSmall.jpg

Old pic, placement is correct but a more rugged light is now used underneath.

I recently installed this 10W LED floodlight for work lighting (ambiance lighting is done with a string of warm white LED Xmas lights). I have considered driving it with a relay off the reverse lights as well. Making the connection to the camper is the point of contention. Currently there is only a high current pair of wires, and I'm not sure that I want any more inter-relatedness between the truck and the camper.
IMG_0560_zps168ac9db.jpg

Thanks for this idea Johnathan. Makes me happy that we ordered our Fleet with the LED lights back there. Having them controlled remotely is definitely something to consider.

Not to hijack this thread but did you do anything with the rear view camera in the JATAC? I find myself using it more than I thought I would but can't figure out a place to relocate it so it is usable with the tailgate removed. Thanks

-steelhead

Not to hijack this thread but did you do anything with the rear view camera in the JATAC? I find myself using it more than I thought I would but can't figure out a place to relocate it so it is usable with the tailgate removed. Thanks

Not yet, but I'm planning to. I'm going to see if I can mount it right under the camper door in the area where the camper overhangs the bed of the truck slightly. It won't be indexed with the guide lines in the mirror screen anymore, but should still be useful. I was dubious of the camera until the first time I hitched up a trailer alone and was able to nail the ball under the tongue precisely.

I got a new one and screwed it to the wood under the camper. You can't tell it's there unless you're looking. It's not an OEM camera (I wanted to leave the original in the tailgate, and I couldn't find a way to secure an OEM camera to the camper easily, but you could if you build your own bracket). I also got another Tacoma camera/tailgate wiring harness and spliced into that so it still displays on the rearview mirror (so basically I didn't mess with any of the original parts).

Thanks for the idea about a second camera. To clarify, is the tail gate camera out of commission after splicing in the new one?

The old camera is still good to go if I put the tailgate back on. The wiring harness has a plug that you just pull out when you remove the tailgate (they call it "quick release" or "plug and play" or something, it's very easy to unplug), and I got an extra one of those for maybe $40. So the original camera/harness is unharmed. I wasn't sure how the splicing would go, so I got the extra harness to be safe and left all of the original stuff alone.

FYI the extra wiring harness I got is the tailgate harness.

I got a new one and screwed it to the wood under the camper. ... It's not an OEM camera ... I also got another Tacoma camera/tailgate wiring harness and spliced into that so it still displays on the rearview mirror (so basically I didn't mess with any of the original parts).

A question/request for camper101 (and continuing the hijack, sorry): Could you tell us please which camera you got and how you wired it in (and where you got it)? I'd read the OEM camera was 6v and third-party cameras were 12v.

Thanks!

First off, I love the idea of using the rear floodlamps for a backup aid and this is on the to-do list. Thanks for the great write up.

Continuing the hijack. For the Tacoma the backup camera part number is 86790-04010 GP-KD5301RC and they can be found on EBay for around $30-40, supposedly the dealer is charging $700. The wiring harness part number is 82182-04011 and you can get that from Olathe Toyota for $40 (includes shipping). I'm still figuring out how/where I want to mount it, but having a complete second unit is a nice option. Hope that helps.

Bob

For the Tacoma the backup camera part number is 86790-04010 GP-KD5301RC and they can be found on EBay for around $30-40, supposedly the dealer is charging $700. The wiring harness part number is 82182-04011 and you can get that from Olathe Toyota for $40 (includes shipping).

Thanks, Bob. This is very good information to know. Have you tested the set-up even though you haven't mounted it yet?

The eBay listing at the Round2Store now seems to be $50 + $5 shipping. That's the only seller that google turned up, though lots of results pointed back to the same seller.

Several places with names that claim to to be selling genuine parts, such as here and here, are selling the wiring harness for just over $30 + shipping.

I just finished installing my aftermarket backup camera last week, works great so far.

I used this camera:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P3PSR6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with this LCD i mounted in the center console (in the little "hole" the nissans have that is the size of an ashtray):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MPRFJQ/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i also had to get an extra long RCA cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDJXMQ/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i ran it alongside the stock harness all the way to the front / zip ties on the frame etc... then up through a hole I found in the firewall.

Wired the monitor power to an ignition source + a little custom switch.
Wired the camera power to the license plate light in the back (easy source to find power). It's always on when the lights are on (so during the day I flick the switch when I'm backing up). I chose to do this instead of the back-up lights because 1) it was much easier to access/do it this way and 2) now I can use it on demand and not just when I'm in reverse... (oh also, I put my camera inside the trailer hitch, as I'm not using it right now, but it can be easily relocated)

Just another experience/way to do it if people find it interesting..

I started writing a post on this earlier and got sidetracked, so here it is below (a little late as you may have already gotten the info you wanted). Apologies for the hijack, I suppose somebody can move these if that's better...

The camera is a cheapo off ebay for like $15, but I guess you could spend more and probably get a little more. Mine has worked since October, and it's been through plenty of weather so far. I have an identical one sitting around for when this one dies (for $15 why not?). Actually I think this is it: http://r.ebay.com/JsgKPY, maybe the price went up a few bucks.

To make the camera work with the rearview mirror, you have to splice into the Tacoma's system somehow -- unless you run wires up to the cab. I wasn't comfortable messing with my brand new truck (I'd never done anything like this before) so I got an extra wiring harness. An old email says that it's part 82182-04010 from ToyotaPartsZone.com, price $30. When you take off the tailgate, you easily unplug this wiring harness from another set of wires in the frame of the truck (instructions are in the owner's manual for removing the tailgate -- it's so easy that even I got it on the 1st or 2nd try...). I believe this part is the same for all 2nd Gen Tacomas, but I'm not sure.

The camera is a 12v camera, so I powered it from the reverse light. Then, you've got to connect the camera's video to the wiring harness. There are 4 wires in the harness, 2 for power (which I didn't use -- the Tacoma camera is 5v or 6v as opposed to most backup cameras which are 12v) and 2 for video. My camera's output is Yellow Video or RCA, so I snipped off the yellow plug and connected the two wires inside to the appropriate wires in the wiring harness. Plug in the harness, put it in reverse, and ideally you've got video. I got the colors of the wires off TacomaWorld.com:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/226770-backup-camera-help.html

You can also get an OEM Tacoma camera and skip the splicing, but I didn't know how to mount that as easily as the eBay camera, and I wasn't sure if it'd stay dry if it wasn't in a well-built housing. And those cameras cost $60 or so, so I didn't want to learn with more expensive parts.

Note that the gridlines are in the Tacoma's mirror (in my case at least) so if you buy a camera with gridlines, you'll have 2 sets. They also won't be perfectly straight unless you are perfect at installation.

I don't know which RCA wire goes to which wiring harness wire at the moment. I can try to dig that up if you have a hard time finding the answer. Basically one is positive video and one is negative video, and I had no clue what that meant at the time, but I probably made a note of it somewhere and could figure it out.
camera2.gif

Thanks camper101, that's interesting. I also didn't know the grid lines were in the mirror (or the mirror's video interface, I guess.) Maybe there is a similar camera without gridlines as the one you link to has. How did you deal with the double grid lines?

Here is the wiring list taken off the TacomaWorld post you linked to:
1- CY- (WHITE) CAMERA VIDEO NEGATIVE
2- CY- (RED) CAMERA VIDEO POSITIVE
3- CGND (BLUE) CAMERA GROUND "SHIELD"
4- CB+ (BLACK) CAMERA POWER

If I remember my electronics correctly, standard composite video is a 1 volt signal, so it probably doesn't matter what voltage the camera requires, so your solution probably works very well.

Sounds like the Toyota harness is not really needed, if one could find the appropriate connector.

Bill, I just ignore the extra set of lines -- so far they haven't blocked out whatever I'm about to back into. I was a little disappointed when I first saw that I had 2 sets, but I really don't notice. I only pay attention to the set from the camera since they're colored and they seem to line up with where the camper ends.

I looked at the camera in the link below at a car stereo store today. It flush mounts in the bumper and comes with its own drill bit. I plan to take a closer look to determine if it can be connected to the 2nd gen Tacoma wiring to the rear view mirror. I really liked the sample mount in the store - secure and out of the way.

http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/rearview-camera-cam22/

I've created a new post on back-up cameras. I copied most of the back-up camera posts (consolidating some multiple posts for clarity) from above into this new post which is intended to be a FAQ thread. Hopefully by putting this info in its own thread it will be easier for others to find and to add to. I also added a couple of links to off-sites posts.

Please consider adding to the new thread instead of continuing to hijack this one :LOL:

If any of you have an objection to my having copied your posts to the new thread, please message me and I'll take care of your concerns. Hat-tip to steelhead who got this whole thing going and sent me some of the other links, too.

Back
Top Bottom