DV Christmas Break 2017

Lighthawk said:
Arrrrrrr! If only there was some white whale I could harpoon and get us out of there!
While the windshield wipers could have been slapping time to remove dust, where's the dirty red bandana? I love a good harpoon in capable hands although some could consider that just Cheap Tricks.

Sorry, :(
Paul

great story, pictures and writing! I love hearing about good and kind folks too.

The missing bolts are a bit disconcerting. Did you have the truck serviced some time ago, and someone "forgot" to install 2 out of 4 bolts? Or was this possibly even a factory oops? Have you checked the other side???

Now thats an adventure. Glad you had good friends to help you out.

Makes me think. I carry spare bolts and stuff for the Jeep. I need to start a metric collection for the truck. I always have a minimum number of tools but maybe I should be grabbing that extra heavy set. Why do we carry so much "stuff" under the seat? Just because something like this could happen. Soon as the rain stops I think I'll give my trucks bolts a check. Due for a grease job anyway.

I have a little trepidation waiting for part four. Not a great feeling when you're limping home wondering if your repairs will hold.

Andy's story should get us all looking at some of these things.
I replaced my CV shafts right 2012 left 2016.
Reason for replacing was the boots were split.
Did them myself very easy and saved a bun ch of money.
Now the next sunny day I'll have to go under and check for tightness on all bolts.
Frank

Vic Harder said:
great story, pictures and writing! I love hearing about good and kind folks too.

The missing bolts are a bit disconcerting. Did you have the truck serviced some time ago, and someone "forgot" to install 2 out of 4 bolts? Or was this possibly even a factory oops? Have you checked the other side???
Vic, you picked up on the source of the problem: missing bolts. We found there were only two out of four 17mm bolts on the drivers side and three out of four on the passenger, where the lower control arm bolts to the steering knuckle. I kick myself for not noticing.
But, to blame others, I can say I had the front Bilsteen shocks were replaced just before this trip, however the mechanic didn't notice the missing bolts, possibly due to the fact they did not want to put truck/camper combo on the overhead rack. Previous to that, it's been 50k miles since the first Bilsteen shocks were in stalled in 2010, when it's possible the bolts were missed.

The third option, which I suspect, is that the first set of Bilsteens were cranked up to level 5, which gave a very rough ride when dropping over a compression, like driving off a curb. The shock would "top out" and it was a hard hit. If I were more expert, I might have readjusted the shocks, but instead adjusted my driving. Since those bolts only torque at 43#, it's possible the hard hits loosened the front bolts. New shocks are at level 2.5, and I don't have any rubbing, even with 18" wheels.

I now have eight new bolts, two new lower ball-joints, one upper ball joint (on the side that broke) and new CV boot on the side I didn't replace. I'm also nine hundred dollars lighter. :unsure: And, I'm now carrying four extra bolts in my mechanics kit.

craig333 said:
I need to start a metric collection for the truck. I always have a minimum number of tools but maybe I should be grabbing that extra heavy set. Why do we carry so much "stuff" under the seat?
Craig, after finding myself under-gunned on my tool kit I've decided to build a more complete kit for the truck. I ordered a Craftsman socket/wrench set with both deep and standard sockets to replace my spotty thirty year old kit. It was 311 pcs for $189, and I'm using some Lisle magnetic socket organizers and a wrench roll to organize the kit. Craftsman makes an inexpensive truck box that is 22" x 8" x 4" which will sit in the footwell behind the driver's seat, which will hold most of the sockets sets, plus the tool roll will fit in the storage under the rear seats. I thought it was better to make small kits, rather than a bulky tool box. I'm carrying full sets of 3/8" and 1/2" metric sockets, plus ratchet wrenches in metric and some standard SAE sizes. I now own the 35mm socket for the spindle and I've got a 1/2" breaker bar I use for tire lugs. I also picked up a new set of Craftsman screwdrivers, again to replace my thirty year old collection and stop moving tools from the truck to the garage. The goal is a complete set that lives in the truck and I don't need in the shop. If I don't help myself, I may help someone else with my kit someday. I've invested just over three hundred bucks, and intend to use this set for another thirty years ;)

Good plan. I carry a bunch of tools too when I roam, and like the idea of having a separate set that lives in the truck.

I doubt very much that the bolts worked themselves loose, if they were ever torqued correctly. The torque rating of a bolt is designed to stretch the bolt so it lives under tension once installed. Bigger bolts = more torque. Under torque a bolt, and it could work itself loose, over torque it, and it will snap. Proper torque, it stays put.

Great report with great writing. Really enjoyed it and as people are saying, nice reminder to make sure essential tools are carried for emergencies. Thanks!

Final chapter to the saga is complete.
Thanks for following along.

Appreciate the comments about carrying a dedicated set of tools in our rigs.
And the intrinsic good in people that comes closer to the surface, as we are reminded how much we depend upon each other.

Hi Lighthawk couple
Thank you for sharing your trip and adventure to SV hot springs area, has been a great read, made so by your gift to put pen to paper. As well as the photographs you took.Those who have visited the area can appreciate the feeling of breaking down ot there. To say it as a remote place just doesn't do it justice. Kudos to those who helped make your return a success.

"The next day we said our goodbyes and dropped the top. It was time to return to civilization, although we couldn’t find more civilized folks than the ones we were leaving. Our drive home was uneventful and we had no more truck issues."

I particularly liked this comment, Happy New Year to you both!

Russ

Andy your thoughts about the shop not noticing the "missing" bolts due to not wanting to place the truck on a lift
Is possible.
Before out 2016 Alaskan trip I had the truck serviced at the Toyota dealer,one I have used from the time I bought the truck used.They did a full "oil change" service and overall check,but failed to see the torn CV boot.Which to me was very obvious.
I have trust in a shops work BUT I still do a check when I get the truck back.
Not much to do but check things out before trips I guess.
All worked out for you which is good.
Frank

Happy ending to a good story. I'll second the comments about it being nice to hear about helpful folks going out of their way. The question of what tools to take and what spare parts to bring is one that has befuddled me since I got the camper. I do take a good selection of tools but chances are good I still would not have the one I need. It's a pain moving them from the truck and back. I don't want to have duplicate sets at my age even thought that would be handy. Also- how many different bolts can you reasonably take? I liked your idea of cannibalizing bolts from other less sensitive locations, assuming you could find one to match.

At the end of the day, I think we all are dependent on the kindness and help of others when things go south. I'm glad you had a good experience. Thanks for the report!

When you need the tools the money wont' seem like much. Still amazes me people think a camry is an acceptable vehicle for this terrain /boggle. I know its done all the time but....

Good to have all the help you did. Even if they aren't mechanics its good for morale to have someone else nearby.

This doesn't help my love hate relationship with cell phones :) I'd sure be reluctant to give out my credit card number over the ham radio (but I'd probably risk it). I've debated for a while now whether to purchase a cell phone booster.

Been meaning to purchase a unit bearing for the truck as I'm now on my third one. Not easy to replace but one manages when one has to!

Really got me thinking. I watched a youtube video of the bearing replacement and I see why the shops want so much money to do it. I've thought about the locking hub conversion for my truck before but its expensive. It will also eliminate a weak point and be much easier to service in the field. I think I'm going to take a ride over to S&H and have a chat with the guys.

Andy, great story. I hope we never experience anything close to what you did. Thanks for sharing and glad all worked out. jd

Just finished your great story.What a great group you camped with,
sure made all the truck issues easier to cope with.
Nice to hear your Christmas wasn't spoiled and the food/drinks sounded very tasty.
Thanks Andy for spending the time for a great report and sharing it with all of us.
Frank

Thank you for such a great write up. This is something that will stick with me in those times when things go wrong a long way from nowhere, as they inevitably do. Also makes me want to give the springs another try as the last time I did (maybe 17-18 years ago) we were coming in from a week of just the two of us in the outback and felt a bit of an unwelcome vibe from the regulars. Probably more a reflection of my state of mind than theirs.

Back
Top Bottom