DV Christmas Break 2017

Andy another fine report. I hope to get to DV early February. Will have to crawl under the 2005 Tundra and torque some bolts before I leave. I did change one front axle before one of my cross-country trips. Boot cracked and I did not like how the CV joint felt.

Dang Andy, cant’t think of a worse place or conditions for that to go down in. Bright side is the proximity to saline and all the fine folks who inhabit it. Way to keep your wits about yourself, focus and get ‘er done. Your tale sent me straight out to my driveway and under my truck!!
And well done Russell, Lawnmower man delivers! Sorry we missed ya’ll out there this year.

ski3pin said:
How will our intrepid adventurers weather this storm and challenge?
What a well told tale! You got us all playing the "what if" game on how we would tackle a major breakdown in remote areas, both with planning and strategies for parts and repairs.

With a xmas like this, what did you two do for New Years? :)

And by the way, you beat us to that canyon! Good job!

ski3pin said:
What a well told tale! You got us all playing the "what if" game on how we would tackle a major breakdown in remote areas, both with planning and strategies for parts and repairs.

With a xmas like this, what did you two do for New Years? :)

And by the way, you beat us to that canyon! Good job!
Glad we could be of service and get everyone out there under their trucks, checking for loose or missing bolts. :oops:

After a Christmas like that, we came home to some other adventures of getting our gas turned back on, then decided to take it easy for New Years.

Someone put a bug in my ear about that canyon, a few years ago. ;)
It would be a cool loop to descend that and walk back up Dedeckera, but that might be a long ways.
I was intrigued by our view of the Lost or Hidden Dunes on the west side of Eureka Valley, and that's now on the wish list.

To all,one other thing to check while looking for loose bolts.
The neoprene covers of the CV joints.They get small cracks and may be hard to see.
Once they split the grease starts coming out and the joint drys up.
Get your hands dirty by feeling and squeezing them. The split is usually in the "valley"of the cover.
If you find they have splits in them it's a fairly easy job to do yourself. I went for the whole shaft replacement.
You can just replace the covers but you still have to take the shaft out to do that.At less then $100 per shaft it's good insurance.IMO
Google the Youtube video on replacing the front CV shafts.
Frank

Andy if you're interested in the Hidden Dunes it is pretty amazing. The hike from the well is fairly easy and I couldn't find any defined trail when I was there a few years ago. I got to the area late at night and camped. Woke up and headed out. I was the first footprints that day. Wrapped it up and met up with friends at Eureka Dunes in the afternoon.

Lighthawk said:
Final chapter to the saga is complete.
Thanks for following along.

Appreciate the comments about carrying a dedicated set of tools in our rigs.
And the intrinsic good in people that comes closer to the surface, as we are reminded how much we depend upon each other.
Andy, did you end up putting new fluid in the diff? You didn't mention that in your write up... If you did, I would also consider draining again after a bit... look for sand/metal shavings as it drains... maybe stick your finger in the hole and check for the same. Getting ANY sand in there would not be good.

Vic

Good call, Vic. I wasn't keen on having an open port to my front differential during an all night sandstorm :(
I wiped the old axel before inserting it, but who knows how much grit may have blown in there.

Truck was serviced at the mechanics when we returned. Diff fluid was changed out. We also replaced both lower ball joints, since they are a common point of failure and the CV boot on the opposite side. All eight bolts to steering knuckle were replaced and I carry an extra set of four bolts now.

Love it! Great story, good lessons, and made me miss DV and SV that much more!
'Thanks for the most entertaining and well-written trip report!

Hay Lighthawk
Just a thought you could carry a couple small tubes of locktight blue would probably be ok for those, red is a little tougher. They sell one time use tubes or small bags at Auto parts. Also an aluminum can. You can cut the ends off and cut it so it lays flat if it’s easier to carry. I have used slivers, or inserted a wrap in wollared out hole to get a screw or bolt to hold. Also stop by a hardware store and get a length of pipe that will slip over the handle of your ratchet for added leverage. (You can break the internals in the cheap ones so be careful)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom