Eagle and 'city water'

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
At a couple of the state parks I camped at on my recent trip the only available sites were full hookup, so I thought I'd give city water a try. I learned two things:

1) I guess I don't understand the concept since after I hooked up the water I still needed the pump to get any water pressure. Is this correct or do I need to switch some valves to get pressure from the water line?

2) the water connection on my Eagle is just above the hot water heater, and I almost melted my hose before I realized it, so I'd say the city water connection is pretty useless on my rig for any application that involves hot water. ;-)

It was nice running off shore power and topping up the batteries, though.

Connecting to shore water is the only system I haven't tried, but guess I should to see how/make sure it works. I have the pressure regulator.

Whenever shore water is available I top off the water tank before leaving instead of connecting directly.

I had much the same experiance when I tried "city water". The hose did not melt, but it was very unhappy. The cover door for the water inlet - which I left open (like an idiot) melted slightly.

I was at a small campground and their water was "brown" (perfectly healthy, just some tannins in the water from tree leaves). I thought the city water hookup would be separate from the water tank, but it is not. I ended up filling my water tank with brown water, which took a few cycles to drain out.

Stalking Light said:
At a couple of the state parks I camped at on my recent trip the only available sites were full hookup, so I thought I'd give city water a try. I learned two things:

1) I guess I don't understand the concept since after I hooked up the water I still needed the pump to get any water pressure. Is this correct or do I need to switch some valves to get pressure from the water line? <snip>
Charlie, no to running the pump. If you're on city water, that's your pressure source. Something is hinky if you have to run your pump. Now that I've said that, I'm going to go out to the Grandby and confirm. On all/any of my RVs, I've never seen a situation like you're encountering.

Regarding the hose, I'd rig a tie off to keep the hose away from the WH exhaust.

The hose is directly above the hot water heater. I'd have to make a copper 'L' to get it up and out of the way, not worth the effort. I'm not likely to encounter the city water hookup very often so I'll just use my tank and pump, especially since I'll have shore power if/when I have city water. I am glad I noticed before I melted my hose through, although I should have seen the potential problem when I first hooked it up. :oops:

I was surprised city water didn't provide any pressure, but I checked the valves and they were set like in the manual.

Something must have changed since I bought my Granby on 05, since it came with water connections to hook up to"city water". I have only used them a couple of times-both in Or. State Parks and I have had no problems with pressure or melting hoses. The water pressure is provided by the hook up not your pop-up. A few years ago, I got tired of filling up my water can at the pump and then dumping it into the tank and I picked up a RV water hose that can be used to fill up the tank or hook up to city water. Again you should not need to use your own pump to pump the water and Steve is right- go to any RV place and pick up the connection and it probably would not hurt to give FWC a ring and get the right size!

Smoke

If your camper is hooked up to a water source, and you have a water pressure regulator hooked up, and the hose is turned on, you should be able to open the sink fauctets inside the camper and water should come out without turning the electric water pump on ?

I'll try this again at home and see if I can get pressure without the pump and then maybe I'll look for a brass connector to get the hose out of the heater blast zone. ;) If not I won't worry too much about it, thanks for the suggestions.

This is where my water hookup is in relation to the hot water heater:

IMG_0782.JPG

Get a water filter if you plan to fill up at different sources. I got mine at Walmart, same as at the RV center but much cheaper. Pressure regulator is nice also. I have seen water pressure in excess of 60 psi before at one place.

Stalking Light said:
I'll try this again at home and see if I can get pressure without the pump and then maybe I'll look for a brass connector to get the hose out of the heater blast zone. ;) If not I won't worry too much about it, thanks for the suggestions.
Why not loop a bungie cord around the hose & hook it to your top rack cross bars to pull out of the way of the hot exhaust?

Paul

PaulT said:
Why not loop a bungie cord around the hose & hook it to your top rack cross bars to pull out of the way of the hot exhaust?

Paul
I could do that, but I probably won't run into many more situations where I camp with city water. The places that I did camp at that had it also had showers, so no real need to be hooked up I was just playing around. Just glad I didn't melt my hose or start a fire the one time I tried it. :) If I do use city water again it will be cold only.

My 2 cents - you bought the "toys" they should all work.

The 90* elbow you can buy at Walmart or Ace Hardware or Camping World. It keeps the supply hose from "crimping". Make sure you use the regulator as some of the campgrounds have over 100 pounds of preasure which will blow out your connectors.

As Stan advises hook up the hose, regulator, , turn on the sink faucet (to let the air out) turn on the hose valve and water preasure does the rest. You only need the pump when you are pumping from the water tank.

RC Pilot Jim said:
My 2 cents - you bought the "toys" they should all work.

The 90* elbow you can buy at Walmart or Ace Hardware or Camping World. It keeps the supply hose from "crimping". Make sure you use the regulator as some of the campgrounds have over 100 pounds of preasure which will blow out your connectors.

As Stan advises hook up the hose, regulator, , turn on the sink faucet (to let the air out) turn on the hose valve and water preasure does the rest. You only need the pump when you are pumping from the water tank.
Did all that the first time, no joy. My supply hose has a spring around it to keep it from crimping but doesn't help with the melting. :cautious:

I'll try again at home when I get a chance and see if I get pressure from the main..

I've never hooked mine up to city water. May have to try that today. Luckily my camper has the exhaust in the rear. No worries about melting anything.

Back
Top Bottom