Eagle/Ranger bed mod.

Tomas Tierra

Contributors
We got sick of the downstairs bed set up sticking out so far when it was in use..A friend of mine who has an Eagle FWC modified his bed to raise the level so it would meet the hieght of the window sill.Pushing the small cushion against the window Therefore eliminating the need for the bed to stick out so far, and creating a taller storage space under the couch.I will utilize the same cushions and maintain the same bed size. The only down side I can see is the sitting hieght of the couch will raise about 4 inches.

I have torn out the right side of my camper to copy his mod..before I continue I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had done similar and cared to share thier ideas..I have learned the hard way about doing the mod and then presenting it here, someone always has a good idea I should have incorporated..

The clean slate...Pic #1

The new bed hieght(un-completed)...Pic#2

New bed tommorow!!

Attachments

• DSCN2638.jpg
    DSCN2638.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 888
  • DSCN2640.jpg
    DSCN2640.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 909
I like the idea... the only downside I see is that you're sleeping right against the window now. I like the idea of more floor space and storage space though! I wonder if you could create a barrier of somesort on the edge by the window so you aren't potentially pushing against it all night sleeping.

I don't have a bench. It was removed by the original owner and I've gotten used to not having it.

But after sitting in an Eagle with the bench this weekend, I like the idea of having one more and more. The additional storage will be worth the small sacrifice in floor space.

I'm going to be very interested in what you come up with. I hope you'll be keeping detailed measurements and notes.

Tomas,

I don't have a bed down below but can sleep on the couch. I have four bottom cushion and one shorter back rest.

I do like you idea of more storage but don't like my feet not touching the ground. With your kids down on the bunk you need to be able to move around.

What if you place the back rest up against the window, could even put a spacer to move away from the window. For the seat you can make flip up spacers to mach the height of the back rest. You have the seat cushion with the plywood bottom?

To make the bed you could lay down the back rest. Flip up some spacers or blocks on the seat cushion, and have a way to lock the two cushions together. Just a thought.

FYI--

I've been using the couch design published in this thread for seven months now with no problems. The only thing I want to change is to add a little backward tilt to the seat when in couch position.

The outboard cushion is about 2 inches away from the window in bed position. I sawed off the almost useless folding card table legs and mounted them to the wall to give the right tip to the backrest when in couch position.

I intend to replace the plywood arms with oak some time this spring||summer and will add tilt to the seat at that time.

CJ8-I will have to get used to sleeping against the window..conensation was my biggest concern..

I have already seen the mod in action in my buddy's Eagle
(Wino that's you!! now join up and take some credit!! Are you going to lurk allyour life??)

Patrick, I'm tall, My feet will still touch the ground.
There are factory spacers for the back rest that set it at an angle. I will modify these to be removeable when I sleep downstairs, that's right, I sleep downstairs..The cushions will lock together with a tight fit against the window..

It will all make more sense when it's done and in place..need another day off! It's March,pretty sure I'll be eating those words and whining about to many days off soon enough..
TT

Mark, Your mod is lookin sweet!!
Edit: Mark, on further review of your mod,I don't think it would work on the skinnier Ranger and Eagle models..That is very ingenious however..

This is a great Idea and was thinking of doing it myself......until I realized that the height of the bench really has a lot to do with use when the top is down. If i sit in my Hawk with the top down, i can fit with the stock couch. If i raise it to window level, I cannot sit with the top down.

A lot of time when travelling, I will get in back and sit or take a nap on the bench. Nice not to have the top up.

I would like a system that allowed me to put the bed to window level yet keep the couch at normal height. i think someone had one, but I never saw it finished. Would give you the best of both worlds, though storage might be an issue - - you might not get more of it..

Interesting, though.

dave

Yeah Dave your right.

And it was a big consideration when contemplating my mod..I couldn't sit comfy on the couch with the top down anyway..Your Hawk is a taller animal..
It is inconvenient with the top down, but with four of us to sleep(and two of us getting bigger every day),I am thinking about the end of the trail and comfort for all..

I guess I could go buy a big four door somethin and get that Grandy for sale in Sacto but( insert whinning here ).....

Been there too, but solved it for me

This is a great Idea and was thinking of doing it myself......until I realized that the height of the bench really has a lot to do with use when the top is down. If i sit in my Hawk with the top down, i can fit with the stock couch. If i raise it to window level, I cannot sit with the top down.

A lot of time when travelling, I will get in back and sit or take a nap on the bench. Nice not to have the top up.

I would like a system that allowed me to put the bed to window level yet keep the couch at normal height. i think someone had one, but I never saw it finished. Would give you the best of both worlds, though storage might be an issue - - you might not get more of it..

Interesting, though.

dave

Hey Dave,

I had the same idea and solved it for me a few months ago.

This is what worked for me:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10568#post10568

For the final setup, after doing the post, I used spring loaded hinges like the ones for the roof mechanism. Ben sent me two of his hinges and they work like magic. I removed about half the springs (the roof is heavier than the couch) to make them work smoother.
Another detail that is not visible on the pictures is that the backrest and the seat cushions are joined together with some fabric.
Now I just have to lift the two seat cushions and the support boards spring into position to form the bed.
To bring it back to the couch position I have to fold first the two support boards down and lower the seat cushions on top.

It's kind of difficult to explain the whole movement, maybe I should just take a video and post the link to it here.

I used this bed now a couple of times and it just works.

Once you find your solution let us all know and post some pics.

cabezon23:

wow, that is cool. Don't remember seeing this thread....I don't know why....
I know, gotta use the bed down with top down. Nice way to nap and take a quick bite to eat. Also looks more stealth with the top down.

With the seat in the normal factory position, I store a lot of stuff up behind the backrest near the window. Nice and out of the way. Will miss that.

I like your idea, but a video sure would help../

dave

Here's how it came out...

Just finished the bed mod..

Throwing crap in to go up the coast in the AM but thought I would chuck a few pictures for you enthusiasts..

The foot print is the same, raised the hieghth to that of the window sil..

Ok-She is loaded and ready to take up to the Lost Coast and beyond for a couple of weeks.I am absolutely extatic with my new amount of storage!

I got the Lat./ Long. Fisherman. Make the weather nice would ya..

TT

Awsome

Tomas tured out nice...A lot more storage. Good work.:thumb: Let us know when you get back how it worked or changes you would make.

TT-

What is the seat height now? Is the couch still comfortable to sit on or do you feel like you are sitting there like a little kid w/ your feet dangling. :)

I'm looking at making this mod as well and that was the one thing I was curious about.

Thanks,

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom