East of the Mississippi FWC owners chime in

Hey Dusty, your making me look like a slacker :oops: I got mine at the end of April and just now finishing the interior build. Had it out a couple of times, but just for hunting in Northern Minnesota.

Guess it is about time to document my build.

Dan T: I don't know what PO did, but all I had to do is move the wheel well notches back so the camper would slide all the way onto the truck. Used lots of butter. I only have about 1/4" on each side.

jim

Attachments

• left clearance.jpg
    left clearance.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 108
  • right clearance.jpg
    right clearance.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 113
JaSAn: I didn't mean to call you a slacker! :D I just had a serious deadline I was working against. Your camper looks more finished than mine. I just got it weather tight for my trip. I haven't done anything to it since I got back in mid October.

Is your interior done? If so, please post pix, or better yet a build thread.

Dusty: Just funnin' ya. I know how a deadline can motivate.

I have hated to write reports since high school. But I'll start a thread of the build of Sköldpaddan ;)[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

jim

P.S. Not much snow in Minnesnowta right now.

JaSAn: The motivation came from the fact that if the camper was done enough to use, I wouldn't have to sleep on the ground or in the truck, both of which add up to a miserable night for me.

Your build looks great!

P.S.: shhhhhhh! Don't tell the snow god he/she has been slacking!

Attachments

• 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 141
Hey All,
I'm hoping someone can do a little Recon in Shenandoah NP to see if there is a suitable place for an eastern rally.

The following youtube videos are good examples of the rally seen for those who have never been to a rally.

Here is a link to Shenandoah National Park map.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf

Big Meadows Campground, in the middle of the park, claims to have group sites but I can’t find them on the campground map.

The following campgrounds have group sites which are worth checking out. It might work out well to reserve individual sites and one groupsite for a central hangout area
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/loft_mtn_camp_combined.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/mathews_arm_camp_combined.pdf

There is also a private group site called Dundo Group Campsite just south of Loft mountain which I believe has been converted into a picnic ground only. I’ll call the park and find out if that’s a possibility.

If anyone knows of or is driving through the park please pass along any info.
Dan maybe you can do a bit of scouting on your way home with your new camper in March ?
I may have an opportunity in April. The sooner we nail this down the more likely reservations will be available.
Keep Hope Alive
Thanks All

I will be east of the Mississippi some time second week of March. Looks like Hwy 40, or close to it into Tennessee. Then North to Baltimore. Sometime in the 4th week we will be headed south all the way to Key West. If you see our Tundra and Hawk, flash your lights and give us a wave.

P1130307.jpg

billharr said:
I will be east of the Mississippi some time second week of March. Looks like Hwy 40, or close to it into Tennessee. Then North to Baltimore. Sometime in the 4th week we will be headed south all the way to Key West. If you see our Tundra and Hawk, flash your lights and give us a wave.

P1130307.jpg
If y'all are in my neck of the woods feel free to holler if you need anything. You can even setup here on the farm. I-40 runs right through this area. Dan

Buzz and Sherri from west TN. We have a 2007 Grandby mounted on a 1998.5 Dodge 2500. Bought the camper from Sean and Diana Dempsey in Eagle, WI. Great folks!

We are retired so we travel with the Grandby about three months of each year...touring the USA and Canada. We hardly ever see any other FWC's east of the Rockies, but we see a lot of them when we are out wandering the west. We enjoy wandering the west the most.

Attachments

• IMG_1961.resized.JPG
    IMG_1961.resized.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 112
It's apparently official, the following is a quote from MLO's Facebook page.
"Big News! Four Wheel Campers will be a Vendor/Sponsor at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival, Aug. 13-16th. We will be wrapping a Four Wheel Camper Owner Rally into the event. Finally an event for all of you east coast FWC owners to attend and enjoy together!"
I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but it sounds like the first annual FWC east coast owners rally is less then 6 months from becoming a reality.
Pretty cool, thanks MLO.

buzzman said:
Buzz and Sherri from west TN. We have a 2007 Grandby mounted on a 1998.5 Dodge 2500. Bought the camper from Sean and Diana Dempsey in Eagle, WI. Great folks!

We are retired so we travel with the Grandby about three months of each year...touring the USA and Canada. We hardly ever see any other FWC's east of the Rockies, but we see a lot of them when we are out wandering the west. We enjoy wandering the west the most.
I've only ever seen one other FWC in the southeast in Alabama on my way to Louisiana last Xmas. If they go up for sale on CL in the east, they sell fast.

DanT said:
It's apparently official, the following is a quote from MLO's Facebook page.
"Big News! Four Wheel Campers will be a Vendor/Sponsor at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival, Aug. 13-16th. We will be wrapping a Four Wheel Camper Owner Rally into the event. Finally an event for all of you east coast FWC owners to attend and enjoy together!"
I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but it sounds like the first annual FWC east coast owners rally is less then 6 months from becoming a reality.
Pretty cool, thanks MLO.
Dan, You are correct! Finally a Rally for all you East Coast FWC Owners. By that time we should have a new crop of 20-30 owners who have recently taken delivery of their FWC's! Can't wait for the event.

Adrian here, from Cleveland, Tn, about 20 miles north of Chattanooga. I have fleet 4wh camper on a 2010 Tacoma. Enjoy traveling and canoe camping. Did hike to the legs went bad on me. Dan I love to take part in four wheel camper east getting started. Planning on attending the East Cost Rally by Overland.

Hey Adrian, we're glad to have you! I understand the knee thing. I can't hike as far anymore with the lack of a meniscus in both knees. It's one of the reasons I bought my FWC Hawk so I could drive to the middle of nowhere,- everywhere and still be able to camp in comfort, plus enjoy the beauty that the world has to offer from a standpoint so few people will ever see.

Hi, I'm Linda, currently in Raleigh, NC. I have a 1999 Grandby shell on a 2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab since April 2008. Most of our extended family is on the west coast. We don't get camping as much as I like, but our son should only have one more year in college, so hopefully that will change. Probably won't make the Overland Festival, that is about the time college starts and the shell becomes the 'moving van'.

DanT and 100 acre....
I am under 2 hours away and just visited MLO for the 1st time yesterday. If you pick you campers up on the weekend and I can get away, I would like to come see them and meet you. I am chewing on the bit yet because I don't have my truck. I am just following all the cool folks on this site and trying to learn all I can:)

Back
Top Bottom