eastern Nevada, southeast Utah via the western desert

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty
In September we went to as many places over 8,000 feet as we could fit in while traveling though eastern Nevada into the western desert of Utah and on to southeast Utah. The high points, often literally, were Angel Lake, Wheeler Peak campground, the House Range and the Henry mountains of Utah.

We pushed ourselves to hike nearly every day and to do that hiking up mountains and down canyons as often as possible on unmarked trails. That is, doing our own route finding. It was very hard at times for us, but very fun and fulfilling. Not too bad for a couple of 69 year old people that live at 200 feet above sea level!

Attached is a link to some of the highlights -- I will keep adding to the album over the next couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoy the views and brief descriptions:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awg_pics/albums/72177720302457889

Happy trails!

Tony

Thanks Monte. They will keep dribbling out for another week or so. In between dealing with house painters, appliance technicians, pilates classes, etc.

It was a lot of fun.

The basement metamorphics in the Rubies are amazing! Looking forward to more as you have opportunity to post.

Foy

Thanks Foy. I think the metamorphic core complexes of the Rubies and the Snake ranges, the Cambrian to Triassic sediments of western Utah and the laccoliths of the Henrys would have warmed your geologic heart!

Wonderful photos... very inspiring to get out there and take it all in! Thanks for the report!

Foy said:
The basement metamorphics in the Rubies are amazing! Looking forward to more as you have opportunity to post.

Foy
That brings to mind Norman Macleans’ quote from A River Runs Through It.
The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.

Thanks Rob! Sometimes it is sparse, lean and featureless. Other times it is like drinking from a firehose, there is so much barraging your senses.

Steve, great quote. It seems to me nothing puts a person into a realistic appreciation of their significance like walking among 3,000 year old trees and lichen growing on 100,000 year old landforms carved into 30 million year old mountains composed of rocks more than a billion years old.

AWG_Pics said:
Steve, great quote. It seems to me nothing puts a person into a realistic appreciation of their significance like walking among 3,000 year old trees and lichen growing on 100,000 year old landforms carved into 30 million year old mountains composed of rocks more than a billion years old.
:)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
That brings to mind Norman Macleans’ quote from A River Runs Through It.
The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.
Thanks for the observation that Maclean used "basement" in "A River Runs Through It". I'm ashamed to say I haven't read it, only seen the film. I did read Maclean's nonfiction about the Mann's Gulch fire, however. I'm tickled to know he used "basement" properly in the novel.

Foy

You had me at Angel Lake - but that's because I grew up fishing there, the closest lake to Wendover, always good for stocker trout, and when you're a kid that's all you need - well that and a marshmallow over the fire at the end of the day. Lot's of good memories there, thanks for the pic, they are all great!

Tony thanks for taking the time to share your photos.
Your photos of Angel Lake bring back the memory of out stop there in 1981.
The night we spent there was like camping in a huge wind storm, but a beautiful place.

Last time we stopped there was in 2012 but the lake campground was closed for the season
so we spent the night at the lower camp.Still a beautiful place just different.

The photos on Monument Valley are beyond words.

Thanks again for sharing.
Frank

Occidental -- thanks so much. We were surprised how warm it was at the lake. We were also surprised at the 4 pm to 6 pm heavy influx of Burners looking for an overnight stop, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom