Easy mods

Myfotos

Having only had my Fleet shell a few months, I'm still trying to figure out how to make it more comfortable and workable. After the first morning of stepping down onto the chilly floor, I did some measuring and went to Home Depot to buy some indoor/outdoor carpet. At a couple of feet wide, it was fine for the main hall area and I cut an extra piece to fit between the seats of the side dinette. That piece also provides a cushion when I store the table upside-down and make the dinette a couch instead. Also had a little rug that I bought at REI several years ago, so that is easy to shake out.

One issue I've had while traveling is what to do with the wet towel after taking a shower. I've been draping it over the passenger seat so it dries while driving, but haven't really liked that option. Bought an over-the-door towel rack at Amazon which fits over one of the two, small cabinet doors. The piece that goes over the door is wider than the width of the door, so may end up straightening and re-bending the "hooks" to make it fit tighter, but I think it will be okay for the time being.

Another issue I had while traveling is where to keep the paper towel roll. It fits fine in one of my storage boxes, but was a pain to always have to open the box. Found a holder at Amazon this week and am planning on drilling two holes into the bottom of one of the small cabinets and have it hanging right above the small waste basket I have next to the door (in front of the fire extinguisher).

Thanks to all who have posted ideas to make living on the road easier.

Bill

Ummm, Bill. Before you start drilling for the paper towel holder we just use a 2' or so lenght of double faced velcro (hook on one side and loop on the other) and run it through the paper towel tube. It sticks together and keeps the towels from unrolling while we travel. (We keep the roll in the (dry) sink.)

Then at camp just hook each side of the velcro to the built in velcro that runs around the tip of your Fleet. Voila- instant paper towels and no drilling required! (I think I got this idea on WTW.)

Steve

I affix a lightweight plastic paper towel holder, with velcro on the back, to that two-inch velcro stip just below the ceiling. The roll, still in the holder, comes down for travel, either in the sink or atop the stove.

This has me thinking again of other uses for that velcro stip. Maybe an aluminum strip with hooks on it. Or one of those hanging travel toiletry organizers, re-purposed for holding other stuff.

Two-inch velcro is quite strong in shear!

- Bernard

Here's what I did and it works great, plus it's simple.

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Search "Velcro Hooks" and go to Interior Mods thread started by erod in around 2007 for an example what can be done for hooks etc. Sorry I couldn't get the link to post.

Not showing but asking :) My wife and I want to take our 5yr old granddaughter on a long weekend trip with us to the beach. We have a Hawk with a porta potty. My wife and granddaughter will sleep on the bed and I will use the rollover side dinette bed. My question is... has anybody rigged up some sort of curtain for the bed? It would come in handy if child goes to bed before us and... when one of us wants to use the potty out of her inquiring eyes ;)

Any ideas would be great!

XJINTX said:
Not showing but asking :) My wife and I want to take our 5yr old granddaughter on a long weekend trip with us to the beach. We have a Hawk with a porta potty. My wife and granddaughter will sleep on the bed and I will use the rollover side dinette bed. My question is... has anybody rigged up some sort of curtain for the bed? It would come in handy if child goes to bed before us and... when one of us wants to use the potty out of her inquiring eyes ;)

Any ideas would be great!
You might be able to run a thin rope across and secure at the velcro for the thermal liner on both sides. Your wife could make 2 curtains that have a hem for the rope. I can't remember how far the front wood piece that is snapped to the roof extends toward the rear. If it is close to where the bed ends when extended the rope could pass over the top. Another idea would be to have the curtain back where the porta potti is and hang from the same velcro. Just a thought. jd

Thanks Longhorn but you are under the impression that my wife sews ;) :). I know she has friends that do so I will have her ask. Maybe something like bungee cord instead of rope? I need to go out and see what I maybe able to fasten to. Any idea if RV places may sell already made curtains?

My ATC has the Velcro for the Arctic pack hanging down on a flap. I have used binder clips to attach things to it. Two binder clips across from each other with rope/elastic between and "drape" something over the cord would be easy enough to rig without sewing skills. The fleece material they make blankets out of at Joann's does not ravel. The lighter weight the better since it is a flimsy attachment point.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

My Hawk has, from factory, an aluminum corner piece where I store Porta Potty made to protect from bangs and dings. However the corner under my Refrigerator did not. My last trip, at some point, either my cooler or storage box must have dinged the corner. To protect it on future trips (this weekend
) :) I added an aluminum corner piece. Looks good and should protect well.

Attachments

• 20160729_092543.jpg
    20160729_092543.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20160729_092707.jpg
    20160729_092707.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 171
XJINTX said:
Thanks Longhorn but you are under the impression that my wife sews ;) :). I know she has friends that do so I will have her ask. Maybe something like bungee cord instead of rope? I need to go out and see what I maybe able to fasten to. Any idea if RV places may sell already made curtains?
I have an "outhouse tent/changing tent " that is easy to set up and take down. Plus keeps things more private and no smells or other things anywhere close where we are cooking food.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Did this one yesterday. Noticed there is an unused outlet where the fridge plugs in so installed a countertop cord pass-thru for a small power strip to sit on top of fridge for chargers/laptop/etc. $2 at Home Depot (in electrical dept). Watch the gas line.

img_148562_0_18a30cdf7917f4c8b04bddd0eacde532.jpg

img_148562_2_d7034421ce3ae0c0626d0ef35a906e47.jpg

img_148562_4_270db65bd9fce86b2087565088c90a40.jpg

img_148562_6_ff82ca9976a240e44e38ec7aef19dcb1.jpg

XJINTX said:
My Hawk has, from factory, an aluminum corner piece where I store Porta Potty made to protect from bangs and dings. However the corner under my Refrigerator did not. My last trip, at some point, either my cooler or storage box must have dinged the corner. To protect it on future trips (this weekend
) :) I added an aluminum corner piece. Looks good and should protect well.
Nice. Did you just drill holes and use the existing factory hardware?

Yes, I used the front screws and washers that were there. Not real hard to match up and drill holes in the aluminum. The other side had no screws so just drilled and added, I think, 5 screws to hold in place.

Dynobob, thanks for this post. Nice to know / realize there is an extra outlet there! Did you remove the front cover to access it?

Back
Top Bottom