Electric/cable receptacle for Fleet shell

Myfotos

Last spring I bought a new Fleet shell with a heater, stove and two batteries. While traveling, I stayed at a few campgrounds with both electricity and cable for TV. The only way to connect was to run the cables through the almost-closed door. What I'm interested in is having a receptacle installed so I can plug in either a 120 volt or 30 amp extension cord (doesn't matter which one) into the outside and access 120 volt inside. Same type of pass-through for cable. I called both FWC and Campingworld, but neither was much help. Is there another way to go about this or does what I want make sense and is available?

Again, thanks for everyone's input when I ask questions. Definitely helpful for a newbie.

Bill

If you are close to ATC in Sacramento, they could probably do this for you. The standard arrangement is a covered receptacle outside. Inside a cabinet is a small 120V circuit breaker box. One circuit is run to a standard two plug outlet on a cabinet face. In our camper one 120 circuit is used for our chest fridge for cool down prior to a trip when the camper is plugged into 120V. The 120 outlet is handy for a small shop vac for clean up after a trip or plugging in a small electric heater to dry everything out.

Bill, if you're going to add an AC outlet, consider adding a converter to charge your batteries. ATC is using the Iota charger with a module that keeps batteries topped off once fully charged. In my opinion, worth the $.

Hello Bill,
I built my own Eagle shell. The most common way to do is as ski3pin suggested. But, this requires some expertise. You can buy one of these special outlets from Evergreen RV in Seattle area and have it shipped to you. The one in the photo below came from them and I installed it. Notice I had to make a pig-tail to make the outlet adaptable to standard extension cord.

The wiring comes in, goes to fuse box (I assume you have one?), and then goes to a 120 standard outlet in bottom left of attached picture. This requires some mechanical and electrical skills to do. This photo was taken before I built the cabinets making easy access to the fuse box.

A SIMPLER approach (if you only do this occasionally) is to run an extension cord through one of the 4 the little turnbuckle doors and out of the back of the truck between the side of the truck and camper. See photo. This assumes you have this space.

Good luck. Chris

Attachments

• Electrical4.jpg
    Electrical4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 120V Input.JPG
    120V Input.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 114
  • PassThru.JPG
    PassThru.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 113
I considered the same thing you are for my 89 Grandby but in the decided to hold off on any additional holes until I do the rebuild this winter. For the cable I bought a "holland electronics flat coaxial type f jumper" which works great. I cant seem to see a place to add a picture but they have them on amazon. It isn't a permanent install but it is a simple solution for the little I use the cable.

Guys,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll contact ATC and with your better descriptions, explain what I want. And Yukon, this weekend I'll check to see how easy the extension cord would be. And I'll check Amazon for the jumper, since as in your case, it would be only used periodically. Just figured it would be a "nice to have" when I've already paid for availability at a campground.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom