electrical sparking from turnbuckles

bike4mee

While tightening a loose turnbuckle in the rear wheel well it touched the corner of the camper. An electrical spark was arching across from the camper to the turnbuckle. Hummm Can't imagine this is normal grounding. All systems are working fine, no blown fuses. Any idea where this electrical discharge is coming from?

Not sure how that would happen. The metal turnbuckle anchor point in the camper would have to be touching metal inside the camper in order to be part of the camper's electrical system. Did only one turnbuckle do this?

bike4mee/Vic

"While tightening a loose turnbuckle in the rear wheel well it touched the corner of the camper."

"
An electrical spark was arching across from the camper to the turnbuckle."

Thoughts:

- the turnbuckle as described is common with the truck body. ==> I am interpreting initially it is not touching camper metal.

- Touching the turnbuckle to the camper body results in an arc, Therefore it appears to there is a difference in potential between the truck bed and the camper.

Questions:

Is the camper electrical system connected to the truck electrical system? If so how?

Is the camper grounded with a wire or some other mechanism to the truck bed?

Does the camper have a house battery?

Does the camper have a solar system?

I am wondering how things are grounded in the camper.

If there is solar is it grounded to the camper or the truck?

Is the camper grounded to the truck cargo box or chassis?

A thought.

Using a voltmeter measure the voltage between the cargo bed and the camper.

Maybe try disconnecting the camper battery and try this again to see if the same thing happens. Then try to repeat the sparking with the camper battery reconnected.

Perhaps Vic or Rando or ntsqd will suggest other tests or measurements to try.

I only saw this happen on the one turnbuckle. It didn't happen a second time I touched the metal corner of camper to turnbuckle. It was like it discharged and was done.

The camper is connected to the truck with a 6ga black wire from truck battery to ground bar under the cabinet.
I don't see a ground wire attached to the camper. Is there supposed to be one?
I have never seen a ground wire attached to the truck bed. Is this common?
I have a solar system and the truck alternator charging system. 2 ways to charge the single AGM camper battery

I believe the camper is grounded to the truck with that 6ga wire to the truck battery. Everything works fine so I am wondering why arching?

The single connection from truck battery to ground bar should be adequate.

Some people have written about running a separate ground from the camper to the cargo bed and I wanted to check. I was in no way suggesting that it should be done.

My questions were intended to get a description of the electrical charging systems and stimulate some thinking based on that info.

I think it might be instructive to use a volt meter to make a measurement from the camper to the truck bed with the same conditions (whatever was/was not connected) as when you saw the arcing. If there is no potential difference then it is a head scratcher.

If there is a voltage present (even a volt or two) then I would look at the camper battery and solar cables very carefully to see if there is a wire that is in contact with the camper body somewhere (insulation worn through or a metal connector body touching).

Howdy

Were the truck lights on by any chance ?

Any which side turnbuckle were you adjusting....drivers side ?

David Graves

The engine was shut off so no lights
It was the drivers side rear turnbuckle that goes near the camper
I'm liking the static discharge idea, not sure how it would build up enough for a visible discharge thanks all

bike4mee said:
I'm liking the static discharge idea, not sure how it would build up enough for a visible discharge thanks all
Is the camper sitting atop a rubber or synthetic pad laid in the truck bed? Or maybe atop an OEM plastic bedliner? If so, perhaps normal "wiggling around" under way could build up a static charge.

Back
Top Bottom