End of summer?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Labor Day weekend, this coming weekend, is sometimes called the unofficial end of summer...and here in Central Oregon the weather is hinting that way -- according to the forecast:

(
gallery_2431_332_14364.jpg

(screen-capture of the Weatherbug app on my phone)

Today and tomorrow are still "summer", but this weekend, Sunday just 66°, is like early fall.
Fine with me, really...most of my favorite camping spots are too hot in the summer -- good riddance. ;)

Yep-cold at nights- warm in the day---Fall must be on the way! Looks like i'll hit 60 degree weather on my way north early next week .Somewhere I read there is a fair chance of having some snow here this winter-maybe the currents in Pacific favor a wet year with snow-boy do I hope they are right.

Smoke

Those look like perfect temps! I am not a lover of temps > 80, but that's me but why I love Fall and Spring!

More signs that "winter is coming!"
I drove over the Santiam Highway today (which crosses the Cascade Range between Central Oregon and the Willamette Valley), and a few miles west of Santiam Pass, at about 4000 feet, I saw that vine maples are already turning color! :eek:

I did not stop to take photos, but to show people what turning vine maple in the Cascades looks like, here is an uncredited photo that I found on the Oregon Fall Foliage website:

proxy-falls-leaves.jpg

Again, this is NOT MY PHOTO.

Kind of amazing that it's already turning before August is even over...though I don't know when it usually turns. When in full color, the contrast against the dark lava rock is stunning.

Yay, camping time will begin in earnest for us. Fall through winter is when we get out the most!

It passed 80° yesterday here, but this afternoon it's only in the high 60s.
It feels like a change of seasons...and put me in the mood for hot tea in the afternoon.
Twinings Darjeeling.jpg
So I did.

I know that people drink hot coffee all summer long -- indoors, anyway...but I never think of hot tea except when it's cooler.
When I'm camping, especially in cool/cold-season camping, herbal "tea" is my standard evening drink.

We've had a string of high pressure - hot days here. We are ready for fall, cooler nights, and the prelude to winter. This year has just flown.

ski3pin said:
We've had a string of high pressure - hot days here. We are ready for fall, cooler nights, and the prelude to winter. This year has just flown.
You sure said a mouth full there Ski.
It's already Sept. where did it go?
Christmas is just down the road.
Better get those letters into Santa before the time fly's by and it's too late.
Frank

Not all of us are ready. I've barely had the kayak in the water. The dog probably disagrees with me though, he likes that cold white stuff.

I heard an interview with a meteorologist on a Sacramento newscast this morning that said the predicted El Nino event will not be significant and California will most likely have a fourth year of drought. :(

ski3pin said:
I heard an interview with a meteorologist on a Sacramento newscast this morning that said the predicted El Nino event will not be significant and California will most likely have a fourth year of drought. :(
Damn -- that sucks. :(
Maybe they'll be wrong...

Another sign of end of summer approaching: I don't leave the windows in my house wide open at night.
With lows now in the 40s a lot of nights I just leave a couple of windows open a bit.

Starting to drop into the 40's at night in the Sacramento Mts., too. But the sure sign that autumn is approaching is the Huntsman spiders are starting to move indoors. Mice will be next.

Back
Top Bottom