Ever wish you had a winch?

huckfinn

Advanced Member
A few times I did, in fact, wish I had a winch, just truck camping, and coming across people who were stuck and needed help I couldn't give them. Lots of "Sorry, man."

A few times, too, I backed off of a road I was not sure I could deal with if things went south. Prudence being the better part of valor, and all that. We often camp in Sierra National Forest (good climbing) and don't see another car for days. Sketchy cell service, 30 miles from a tow truck. Self-reliance.

So: do you carry a winch for your truck and 1000-plus pounds of FWC? Ever wish you did? If you do carry a winch, what brand and rating do you think is appropriate for your truck and FWC? It seems like Warn winches are the industry standard—any reason to look elsewhere?

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Mark

Note: Here's my new truck: in Wyoming on its inaugural drive from Boulder CO to the SF Bay Area. Boulder was the closest place to CA I could find an access cab with manual transmission. Jeez, I'm getting old.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 121
Kilroy,

For me, who has never had a winch, any basic principles (or common errors) that you would be good enough to share?

Mark

I installed a front hitch on my Tundra thinking that I might get one in the future. I was planning to do a receiver hitch mounted one so I could put it in the front or back. Problem is they are dang heavy to lug around.

Most winches rate their max. rateing with first layer of rope or cable, more layers less capacity. Had a 9500 lb. warn on my rock crawler, worked great. Get the rope if you can, easier on the hands. Through a blanket or something on the middle of cable on a hard pull incase something breaks. Helps on recoil . Mitch

I have a portable Warn winch that fits in a receiver hitch. Can use in the front or the rear of vehicle, comes in handy when you least expect it.

I have one mounted in my Aluminess bumper on my 2012 Tacoma. Like on-board air, its one of those things that you hopefully don't use often but it can make the difference between getting out or having a massively expensive tow.

If you're thinking to go places where you might need a winch, you need some education first. With no idea of your previous off-pavement experience I'll assume none and strongly suggest taking an off-pavement driving skills class or two. I knew that while I have enough experience to teach my wife how to drive off-pavement I also knew that I wouldn't be able to put it in a simple, logical presentation on the first pass. So I talked her into taking a class. My thinking is that she may be the person who has to get us out of where ever we happen to be, so she needs to know what to do.

As it happened a WTC Instructor friend of ours was also interested in taking a class and had done some research, which pointed her at Tom Severin. http://www.4x4training.com/

I asked an acquaintance of ours about him figuring that he was involved enough in the "Expo arena" that he might know who was good and who wasn't, and it turned out that he occasionally helps out with Severin's classes. I figured that it couldn't hurt so the three of us signed up, but I mostly audited the class.

With over 30 years of off-pavement driving experience I still learned some things from his intro class. Since taking the class I periodically put my wife behind the wheel and have her drive. The first time that I did that she was really freaked out. (Might have had something to do with the ~15 Early Broncos that we were leading, dunno...) She did more than fine and that experience really cemented some of the things that she'd learned in the class. She did so well that now she wants to drive on occasion, something that I'm happy to have her do.

That said, our new to us exploration/trails rig has an 8274 & rig-specific mount/bumper waiting for it, and our CTD has an 18k Superwinch that I really need to figure out a mounting method for.

Like K60N mines been used to help others more than myself. Classes are great. No matter how you think you know theres always something to learn. Granted the best plan is not to need it but stuff happens. Last time I used my winch was when I got the Jeep in a ditch and lost a bead. Maybe I could have changed it there but it was a whole lot easier after winching the Jeep into a better position.

Safety. Keep people away during winching operations. I don't care whether you're using steel or synthetic spectators have no business being anywhere near a winching operation. Have good tow hooks or other solid winch points. Nothing that may fly if a cable breaks, and never just toss a hook on a bumper (pulled my brothers bumper off that way when I was young and stupid). Theres more, carry a tree strap, don't hook back onto the cable etc.

fish more said:
I have a portable Warn winch that fits in a receiver hitch. Can use in the front or the rear of vehicle, comes in handy when you least expect it.
X2

We have 10.000# Warn with synthetic rope in a Multi-mount cradle that we can mount front or back. True, it is heavy. But when not in use it rides in the back of the crew cab snugly out of the weather (and way from casual thieve) and in the best spot for weight distribution. (Much better than hanging off my front bumper.)

Steve

PS While Sioux and I don't get crazy with our Ram/Hawk we travel alone in some pretty isolated spots. At over 60 years of age I really dislike not having "something in reserve". The winch is just one of our back-ups we hope we never need to use.

I'm a big fan of a winch. I second all the pro winch stuff here. Mine has saved me about once a year. And the cost of the winch is well worth the piece of mind. I would suggest getting more winch than You need. My Warn 9000 lb barely pulls my 1/2 ton and Hawk now days. Snach block is also a must have!

Well I have "the other type" of winch. Everybody is a Warn guy nust some of us cant afford them. I have a 8500 lb CSI hitch mounted winch ($250). Bought it for my jeep but transferred it to my truck. Pulled many people out not myself yet. Snatch blocks are key just make sure you don't exceed the limit on your cable.

kmacafee said:
I have one mounted in my Aluminess bumper on my 2012 Tacoma. Like on-board air, its one of those things that you hopefully don't use often but it can make the difference between getting out or having a massively expensive tow.
Which on board air model/manufacturer would you recommend? On our list for the year plus a winch. We have the Ranch Hand front replacement bumper that has a mount. Thank-you and happy trails and New Year.

Ya know, despite all the training I've had with one and being on both ends of the dang things to many times over these many years out in the back country, they still scare the "you know what out of me" every time I've around one. Yep, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread even with lot's of training those things can be dangerous. I don't remember where I learned it, but I'm the one you see who pops the hood of the truck when I use the inside cab winch controls or if he has a remote -I'm hiding behind the truck when I use it---got to keep something between me and that cable in case it breaks :p ! Seems to me that we had an interesting discussion here once on using one hooked up to a buried handy man to winch yourself out of the mud if no other trucks or trees were around. Still, having one and not ever using it, is a lot better than needing it and not having it. Smart driving and not getting into a jam where you need to use one is still the key to any back country adventures.

Smoke

I agree with Smoke on better to have it and not need it. I don't have one yet, I've never had one but always thought it would be a nice thing for that "just in case" time. I had a Warn carrier on my last truck but never got the winch. Got another Warn carrier (both used off of CL) on my current truck but haven't had the extra cash to buy one. Engo is what I'm looking at. Good reviews and about half the cost of a Warn.

I wish someone would make a crew cab with a super cab and a 10' flatbed so I had the space to carry all of the junk I need. LOL

Riverrunner said:
I wish someone would make a crew cab with a super cab and a 10' flatbed so I had the space to carry all of the junk I need. LOL
Dodge called it the "MegaCab".

The so-called "plasma" ropes (various synthetic winch lines) have far, far less stored energy in them than does steel cable. In the event of a break they are far less dangerous. Not a good reason to throw caution to the wind, but worth knowing. Downside to them is they're not great with direct sun exposure. So I'd consider it for a winch with a drum that is well shielded from sunlight, direct or indirect, but wouldn't consider it for one with an exposed drum. They do make and offer abrasion guards (the other Achilles Heel of synthetic lines) that are usually long enough to cover the top layer of line on the drum. I would not count on that being enough.

Back
Top Bottom