Ever wish you had a winch?

For me, a winch is a "piece of mind" addition. Funny enough the only time I needed to self recover, I was in my parents drive way... However I usually travel by myself. Even with the additional weight of the camper I am much more comfortable heading out alone with a winch and the proper recovery gear to support the winch.

If you are stuck and alone, this gear is worth its weight in gold. I would not leave the pavement without it.

I have an older Warn MX8000 (now M8000) with 75ft of 3/8" dyneema (synthetic) rope.

I would recommend a larger winch than an 8000lbs unit. I had been given mine prior to the camper. However, I do believe it would be sufficient if only moderately stuck and for a short distance. I don't get to risky when the camper is on.

Haven't owned but I've seen a few in action. Slow but steady. I have the Engo in my truck with synthetic line. I went synthetic more for weight savings than safety. I have a Warn winch on the Jeep. I went with synthetic for safety. Totally different uses. I've very conservative with the truck, not nearly so much with the Jeep. The Jeep is much less likely to get stuck. The big reason the Jeeps winch gets used more is I'm normally with other vehicles. Much safer to try something that might get you stuck when you have other vehicles along.

Still, even when you're taking it easy stuff happens. Once had a culvert collapse on me. Absolutely no way to know they hadn't installed it properly.

Jon&Sue_DeArman said:
Try a 6-8 Ton Com-along w/ a roll of cable or strapping; easier to store and a lot more versatile. Remember, you're not winching your truck up a tree.

I use a come along, you can move it to any corner of the vehicle and it will work even if you battery is dead. Very handy little tool. For my next rig, which will be 3/4 or 1 ton I might get a which, but my current ride is 1/2 ton and I can't afford the weight.

A good tow strap is always handy as well. Even if you can't use it my yourself it can help somebody else rescue you.

For remote areas buy an E-perb device (Spot or Delome make good ones). Press a button and somebody is coming to get you.

I have a Warn VL 10,000 mounted on a Westin mount. I luckily haven't had to use mine. Besides piece of mind; on a few occasions I've gotten the Kubota tractor and RTV stuck on a muddy slope here on the land. I figured next time I do that, I'll have a way to get them unstuck. Been avoiding getting them stuck though. There were a couple of trails out west one being a nail biter coming into the back of Capitol Reef NP where I almost had to use it, but luckily didn't. I need to take an actual course on winching somewhere nearby in Appalachia.

ckent323 said:
Does anyone have experience with hydraulic winches (e.g. milemarker)?
A friend has a MileMarker on his PSD. Since those have Hydro-Boost brakes we were surprised to find out that it has a bias. You can not hold your foot on the brakes and winch with it. As his truck is a manual sucking that Samurai off being double high-centered on a large log was way more work than it should have been.

My thoughts are...I travel in the back county so much alone {hunting, ATV riding, Fishing & camping}and it's like a spare tire...I will most always have one!!! Great insurance!!!
I have one on my ATV as well...can't count the times I have used it over the years!!!
I have thought what I paid up front comes back to me when I sell my rig in the end!!

I have a 12000lb titan in a power wagon winch bracket on my 2500. Bought it as insurance for a silly getting stuck situation as opposed to a license to go where I shouldn't. I've got a few little ones now and figured it was cheap potential insurance if I was back in the woods with them versus trying to walk out miles with young'ns. *knocks on wood* haven't needed it yet. I have the pull ratings noted down for each wrap of cable as it decreases the more cable that is still on the spool. I've got a pulley as well to double back the pull which doubles the pull rating so I don't nessesarily need to pull 70-80' of cable off to get to that 12000lb wrap, if instead I anchor to something 20' away I'll have 40' of cable off and lets just say for giggles since I can't recall that is a 8000lb pull based on how many wraps are on the drum it'll pull the truck with 16000lb of force due to the pulley configuration.

img_110744_0_49300202bbf146f5bb562fd3a9e4ba48.jpg

img_110744_2_9dc85602a681bd55ed4ef016bbb5465c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom