Exploring the Bradshaw Trail in late December 28. - 31st

RC Pilot Jim

I saw some pictures of Blair valley (Anza-Borrego SP). One of the repliers on the "Long Time Lurker" post mentioned the Bradshaw Trail. Bradshaw trail stimulated interest in doing the Mojave trail again (last time I did it was mid '80's)

That got me thinking I wondered if there was any interest from the 4WD community in doing either the week between Christmas and New Years or January some weekend. I have a guide book on both trails put out by the "Friends of the Mojave Road"
December dates:
If we went late December I was thinking Monday December 28th departure....returning mid-day the 31st as we are busy with family the 25th - 27th and a New years party the 31st. 3.5 days very doable for Bradshaw....Maybe not enough time for Mojave as the Trail starts north of Needles?

Open to all ATC and FWC or open to everyone with a camper and 4WD.

Anyone interested in squeezing in a desert trip before the El Nino rainy season hits Southern California?

We'll be in the area between Christmas and New Years rock hounding around the Houser geode beds. We're heading out I-40 on the 20th rock hounding on the way to Santa Fe, NM for Christmas. From Santa Fe we'll head back via Chaco Canyon and Canyon de Chelly on our way to the geode beds. We like the area a lot this time of year especially my 7 year old.

I have been over this road several times easy graded road for the most part. I am interested, as I am no longer employed and can go anytime.

W6 and Looky,

I'm also retired and have an itch to do more exploring in the desert either base camping (we have a Suzuki Samurai) or just with the 4WD truck and camper with others as it is safer with more than one rig.

Another Trip would be the "Mojave Trail"
which I haven't done since the mid 80's. I have a guide book on that trip too

We don't have a two vehicle and usually boondock. There are a couple of tight spots for a full size truck like trying to get to the opal mine from the West and a wash getting to the South geode beds. It would be nice to have smaller 4x4 to explore the area. A good topo will show you the 4x4 roads, single dotted line. The Bradshaw trail is pretty benign but we've always been in the area when dry. Not sure what it will look like if we get El Nino rain. I carry TREDS just in case.

I would like to do the Mojave Road also, not sure if I can talk my wife into it unless there's some good rock hounding or abandoned sites along the way so I need to research more.

All,
If we went late December I was thinking Monday December 28th departure....returning mid-day the 31st as we are busy with family the 25th - 27th and a New years party the 31st. 3.5 days very doable for Bradshaw....Maybe not enough time for Mojave as the Trail starts north of Needles?

Hey there! Great idea to plan a group trip. Unfortunately, I'll be out of the country until January 6th, campervanning around New Zealand. I had mentioned to another friend to get back out there after the rainy season to catch the wildflower bloom. Let me know how this trip goes and I'd love to make it next time!

RC Pilot Jim said:
All,

Sadly I can't make it during the week...

Camel racer said temps in December can be in the 20's-30's at night, so we decided to push Mojave back to March
And fo focus on the Bradshaw trail this month.

If your interested in that trail on those dates send me an email to fwctravel@ yahoo.com.

We are using address as a repository as Stan sent an e blast to the FWC owners announcing that trip.

Trip is open to anyone that wants to come.

Pretty much awesome... Bradshaw Trail 1.pngBradshaw Trail 10.pngBradshaw Trail 9.pngBradshaw Trail  8.pngBradshaw Trail 7.pngBradshaw Trail 6.pngBradshaw Trail 5.pngBradshaw Trail 4.pngBradshaw Trail 12.png

Back
Top Bottom