Exterior Gas Strut Roof Lift Assists

newtofwc

Advanced Member
I don't plan on adding anything to the roof that would increase its weight. In your opinion, are the exterior struts worth the weight, added complexity, and expense?

Yes, but I have interior struts. Personally don't think I'd like them on the outside.

Weight is negligible, there is no extra complexity once they are installed so the only thing would be expense. I used the strong arm method before I put my solar panels on and after the panels went on could still put the back up without assistance but needed the speaker stand jack for the front, sooooo wish i had put the lift assists on as my first mod and then just put stronger cylinders on when I added the solar panels it really does make it that much easier.

I have the 30# lift assists and put them on just prior to installing 2 100 watt solar panels on the front of the roof. Before the panels were on when I lifted up the back panel the front panel would raise all by itself. Now with the panels on, the back comes up easily but the front requires a little more oomph. I'm considering upgrading the front lift assists to 60#.

Yep you can go on ebay and get everything you need for $100 or less for front and back.Off set brackets worked the best for me,just a little FYI and as far as instillation goes,pretty easy ,I think it was 2 holes per bracket an if you don't have any weight on the roof 30lbs is plenty..

Yes, I would definitely have them installed. With the overall price of the camper it's a drop in the bucket.

I have 60# struts interior and 40# struts for the rear which I mounted on the side. No room to mount on the back above door. Works very well, low cost mod and NO back strain...I can push/lift both ends using one arm...First the rear goes up and then the front. Well worth the install.
(On top, I have 100 watt panel, Yakima rack system with three bars, two fantastic vent/fans and a Yakima basket).

We a
NorCalHawk said:
I have 60# struts interior and 40# struts for the rear which I mounted on the side. No room to mount on the back above door. Works very well, low cost mod and NO back strain...I can push/lift both ends using one arm...First the rear goes up and then the front. Well worth the install.
(On top, I have 100 watt panel, Yakima rack system with three bars, two fantastic vent/fans and a Yakima basket).
Our Grandby is almost identical, less one fan. I'm going to remove the interior struts and replace them with externals.

NorCalHawk said:
I replaced my 60# interior struts with 100# struts.

Our first (1999) Hawk didn't have struts. My wife couldn't lift the top. Our 2010 Hawk had the interior struts. She could lift the top, but the struts were in the way of accessing the sleeping area up top. Last year, when I visited the Woodland factory for some unrelated work, I saw the exterior struts. I had the interior struts removed, and the exterior struts installed. The top is now much easier to lift and, more importantly, we don't have the interior struts taking up valuable sleeping space.

After having both, I highly recommend the exterior struts over the interior struts.

This is interesting, but confusing. I had been looking over the new order form on their website and it has as an option "Exterior Gas Strut Roof Lift Assists – $ 325.00". There's no mention of interior struts. Is that because they are standard for the interior. Assuming it is standard, does the exterior order replace the interior, or is in addition to them?

newtofwc said:
This is interesting, but confusing. I had been looking over the new order form on their website and it has as an option "Exterior Gas Strut Roof Lift Assists – $ 325.00". There's no mention of interior struts. Is that because they are standard for the interior. Assuming it is standard, does the exterior order replace the interior, or is in addition to them?
Interior struts used to be used but not any more, there are no struts unless you order the exterior ones - which I also recommend. The only way to get interior struts is if you install them yourself.

Thanks. I guess they know what they are doing. I however would think the struts would be better inside. Less moisture and gunk to degrade them. Less chance of snagging on a low hanging branches.. Oh I forgot, you don't have long tendril like branches in the west... :cautious:

Back
Top Bottom