Exterior Led

bsharp007

I'm looking to replace my exterior amber incandescent bulbs with led bulbs and was wondering if anyone could recommend a led bulb they're happy with and maybe a website. I'm also considering replacing the exterior high power flood lights with leds as well. I'm guesing this will require replacing the entire lighting housing? But I'm hoping I would just bolt them onto the existing spots. And was wondering what type of led flood lights (brand and model) FWC is currently installing in their new campers and how well these work compared to the older halogen type I have.

Thanks!

I'm looking to replace my exterior amber incandescent bulbs with led bulbs and was wondering if anyone could recommend a led bulb they're happy with and maybe a website. I'm also considering replacing the exterior high power flood lights with leds as well. I'm guesing this will require replacing the entire lighting housing? But I'm hoping I would just bolt them onto the existing spots. And was wondering what type of led flood lights (brand and model) FWC is currently installing in their new campers and how well these work compared to the older halogen type I have.

Thanks!

Not sure if these would be bright enough for the exterior, everyone likes different light levels.

http://amzn.com/B003TKI4VU

At least a good place to start maybe...

:)

On another thread on WtW, these LEDs were mentioned. I bought the 250 lumen ones to replace my exterior amber incandescents, since it looked like they would fit the fixtures well (they do). They light the exterior as much as I want. I honestly can't remember how bright the incandescents were, so I'm afraid I can't compare them.

I replaced the Halogen rear flood light on my camper with an LED. Just pull the housing and check for the bulb type. I think mine was type H3. Lots of them on e-bay. It provides plenty of light for my uses. I knocked one of the lights off the first month I had my camper and never replaced it so that tells you how much I care about the rear lights. Same with the porch light, rarely used, I just used an LED sized for the socket and kept the amber lens.

Dsrtrat

Thanks!

Take a look at the SuperbrightLED website, plenty ideas to start off with.

Thanks for the advice, I went with 2 of the 300 lumen bulbs to replace the original incandescents on the exterior. A little pricey at 50 bucks for 2 bulbs but I'll report back with a review. As far as the exterior halagen flood lights my research showed that no led replacement bulb comes close to the original oem FWC flood lights as far as brightness. But if anyone has real world experience I would love to hear it.

On another thread on WtW, these LEDs were mentioned. I bought the 250 lumen ones to replace my exterior amber incandescents, since it looked like they would fit the fixtures well (they do). They light the exterior as much as I want. I honestly can't remember how bright the incandescents were, so I'm afraid I can't compare them.

I think I saw where FWC is now offering optional LED rear flood lights. Can you comment on that, Stan or anyone who has purchased these? Brand, wattage, opinions....

I think I saw where FWC is now offering optional LED rear flood lights. Can you comment on that, Stan or anyone who has purchased these? Brand, wattage, opinions....

They do but they're very expensive, $395 vs $165 for halogen.Price List

Exterior led light comparison. The led bulb is much brighter to my eyes.

Attachments

• LED1.JPG
    LED1.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 180
Led with the yellow cover attached. Still brighter, but uses 1/10th the power. Well worth cost imo.

Attachments

• LED2.JPG
    LED2.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 154
Anyone know why my porch light works only when it wants to? I've made sure the bulb fits in the socket well; I've checked both switches and everything else works. Just a simple circuit right? So how come sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?

Most likely a bad ground. They just ground it to the camper frame instead of running a separate ground wire. An iffy proposition at best. Try giving the mounting screws a twist and see if that fixes it.

Anyone know why my porch light works only when it wants to? I've made sure the bulb fits in the socket well; I've checked both switches and everything else works. Just a simple circuit right? So how come sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?

Mine was always so intermittent -- right from the start and mostly not working -- that I gave up on it long ago.

Most likely a bad ground. They just ground it to the camper frame instead of running a separate ground wire. An iffy proposition at best. Try giving the mounting screws a twist and see if that fixes it.

I'll check this, thanks Craig. And I might as well put in an LED bulb while I'm at it.

I tried a few and decided on the sensibulb because:
- not too bright
- angle wide enough and e=in every direction, it doesn't look weird.
It was the most expensive though.
I would highly recommend the sensibulb for inside, but for outside it's a bit over doing it.

See my test pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101661136245789812800/LEDS?authkey=Gv1sRgCKX8yfXr2oKH_wE#

Herve

I'm not sure which Revolution bulb you used in your test, they make several different bulbs, to compare apples to apples. I went with the 300 lumen Revolution and do not think it is overkill for the outside. It's slightly brighter then the oem FWC incandescents. But uses 1/10th the power, that's good isn't it?
As far as the interior lighting I went with the Kaper II Led lights, this is what FWC is using for their Led lighting upgrade package. Easy install but not as bright as the original incandescents that I removed. For the same price I should have just replaced all 4 of the incandescents with the 300 lumen Revolution bulbs. This would have at least been as bright or brighter then these crappy Kaper II's and just fit into the existing light fixture.

IMO these suck: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/LED-Interior-Pancake-Light-p/55-6625.htm

I tried a few and decided on the sensibulb because:
- not too bright
- angle wide enough and e=in every direction, it doesn't look weird.
It was the most expensive though
I would highly recommend the sensibulb for inside, but for outside it's a bit over doing it.

See my test pictures here:
https://picasaweb.go...KX8yfXr2oKH_wE#

Herve

I tried the Revolution 1141-250NL. They were pretty bright and because of the shape of the bulb, it would illuminate one side more than the other. Not a big deal unless you are very OCD about your camper ;)

For interior lighting, I will keep my recommendation of keeping the FWC incandescent light housing and just replace the bulbs with sensibulbs. Yes, expensive, but less than the FWC LED package! And you end up with better, warmer, lights.

See more details here:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5019/

Herve

I'm not sure which Revolution bulb you used in your test, they make several different bulbs, to compare apples to apples. I went with the 300 lumen Revolution and do not think it is overkill for the outside. It's slightly brighter then the oem FWC incandescents. But uses 1/10th the power, that's good isn't it?
As far as the interior lighting I went with the Kaper II Led lights, this is what FWC is using for their Led lighting upgrade package. Easy install but not as bright as the original incandescents that I removed. For the same price I should have just replaced all 4 of the incandescents with the 300 lumen Revolution bulbs. This would have at least been as bright or brighter then these crappy Kaper II's and just fit into the existing light fixture.

IMO these suck: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/LED-Interior-Pancake-Light-p/55-6625.htm

Does anyone know what the base type for our bulbs is? 1142, 1156, 1157? I can never remember. Thanks.

I know this is an old post, but is exactly the the group I am looking to ask a question. I want to replace my rear floods (factory) with something that is not wicked bright, or is dimmable. In fact, I would like it to be able to change the color so that it isn't ridiculously bright, but could be used for backing up if needed. I have found these lights and wonder what you all think, seems the right size (though I would prefer it there was a way to recess them) and is rated to be used underwater.

https://www.amazon.com/RUICAIKUN-Waterproof-Outdoor-Remote-Control/dp/B01N9HTUME/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2O2703XFVUVL8&keywords=rub+underwater+flood+light+12v&qid=1646158823&sprefix=rub+underwater+flood+light+12v%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2

Thanks from a newbie, just bought a finch, 2009, looks great in and great shape.

Back
Top Bottom