Exterior Light Fixture problem

gsbfree

Contributors
I just realized my exterior light fixture by the door has stopped working. Before you begin to chuckle at an accountant trying to figure out electrical things let me explain what I've done to trouble shoot.

- I checked the bulb...it's not blown
- I've tested the other exterior light on the passenger side window...it works.
- I've tested the fuse...it works
- I swapped bulbs with both exterior fixtures...same results, light by the door doesn't work, light on the side does.

gallery_1240_226_65814.jpg

So the obvious has become not so obvious and I'm at the end of my trouble shooting abilities.

Any suggestions what to check next? I'm hoping to have it working before we leave Friday afternoon for the three day holiday....Stan, any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

I recently had similar problems. Those outside lights are prone to water infiltration. If you rule out the bulb and fuse, check the connections from bulb to point and the switch for corrosion.

I just realized my exterior light fixture by the door has stopped working. Before you begin to chuckle at an accountant trying to figure out electrical things let me explain what I've done to trouble shoot.

- I checked the bulb...it's not blown
- I've tested the other exterior light on the passenger side window...it works.
- I've tested the fuse...it works
- I swapped bulbs with both exterior fixtures...same results, light by the door doesn't work, light on the side does.

gallery_1240_226_65814.jpg

So the obvious has become not so obvious and I'm at the end of my trouble shooting abilities.

Any suggestions what to check next? I'm hoping to have it working before we leave Friday afternoon for the three day holiday....Stan, any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

If the light fixture needs to be replaced, consider upgrading to this model (Thin-Lite DIST-160I8A) for about $32.

They are available at All Seasons RV and Marine in Bend, Or.

thin-lite-exterior.jpg

I purchased one for a Ranger II project and have not installed or tested, but it appears to a good quality light.

Remove both light fixtures and switch locations. If the one by the door now works and the one on the passenger side doesn't, you know the fixture is bad. If the one by the door still doesn't work, you know it is in the wiring somewhere.

do you have a meter? i test lamp?

test for power at the switch in the fixture.

a lot of times the metal button INSIDE the lamp socket can get a little corrosion on it.

Along with the other suggestions posted, I would check the ground wire.

I'm not at work to be able to post pictures for you, but there should be a wired screwed in to the frame.

Unscrew, clean, screw it back in.

If a rear light is not working, it is usually corrossion or a bad ground wire.

Just keep tinkering and I think you will get it.

I have no experience with the porch light but one of my rear floods goes out from time to time and as DD says the connections get a little corroded, sometimes just a little tightening/cleaning is all that is needed.

I second Stan. Every time I've had a problem its been the ground. Unfortunately they don't run a separate ground wire but ground to the body. Its thin and kinda iffy for a ground.

I'm pleased to report this accountant type has solved the non-working light fixture problem. Not sure exactly what fixed it but I think it was most likely cleaning the bulb's contact point and the fixture contact point itself. I was quite surprised by the amount of corrosion the bulb had on it.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions....very appreciated! Headed to Jackson, WY tomorrow for some Memorial Day festivities....and we'll have lights :D

Back
Top Bottom