Exterior Sheet metal screws

5 Speed

Advanced Member
I ordered a large amount of exterior stainless steel screws and the supplier shipped me the incorrect length, they shipped #8 X 1/2 inches long and I ordered the 3/4 inch length. Would they work or should I send them back and get the longer? I wanted to get the roof exterior finished before I leave for a trip next weekend and don't think I will have the time to replace them if they have to send me another box. Not sure if there is really anything to grip past the first 1/4 inch. Opinions?

You definitely need 8 x 3/4 and some 8 x 1.0 for some areas. 1/2 will not do.
I recently did this, but I just used zinc plated steel Phillips head screws from the Depot.

You may want to consult FWC regarding screw material - back in my boating days I learned quickly that aluminum and stainless do not get along. Electrolysis causes a white powdery coating and eats away at the aluminum. Not so good for the camper frame.

I ordered a large amount of exterior stainless steel screws and the supplier shipped me the incorrect length, they shipped #8 X 1/2 inches long and I ordered the 3/4 inch length. Would they work or should I send them back and get the longer? I wanted to get the roof exterior finished before I leave for a trip next weekend and don't think I will have the time to replace them if they have to send me another box. Not sure if there is really anything to grip past the first 1/4 inch. Opinions?

I recently replaced the screws on my camper with stainless. 1/2 inch is too short.

If you go to a fastener distributor you should be able to buy the #8 hex head screws in stainless for about $6 per 100. Avoid the hardware and building stores as it will cost a fortune.

Joel

You may want to consult FWC regarding screw material - back in my boating days I learned quickly that aluminum and stainless do not get along. Electrolysis causes a white powdery coating and eats away at the aluminum. Not so good for the camper frame.

Galvanic Series

Of course,this is only strictly correct for low-oxygen seawater.

Still and all, good quality zinc plated (galvanized) screws might be preferred.

I'm still wondering about blind rivets, as used in truck bodies.

Back
Top Bottom