External or Internal mounted gas struts (roof lifter thingies)?

wetcoast said:
Having ignored 4wc suggestion to remove snow before lowering the roof once, I would recommend anyone with loaded racks get gas struts!
slightly off topic - When I was camping just outside Salt Lake City last fall, it snowed about 2" overnight. We were packing up for the day, loading up the truck, kid, supplies etc. I had the doors of the truck open and hopped into the camper to drop the top just before leaving. I ended up putting a significant amount of snow inside my truck as it slid off the roof!! Lesson learned, shut doors before lowering roof with snow on it.

I have been tossing up the idea of shocks as well. With the kid, we seem to carry more and more crap. I was looking into a car/ski roof pod. I was thinking of putting them inside. I have seen a few neat removable pins which would allow the shock to slide out in just seconds. Will have to ponder the idea more.

Question on internal vs external struts.

It looks like most people remove the struts once up for the internal mounts and obviously the external struts stay there all the time. Without the struts, all the pressure of the roof is on the end boards and the rivets that hold them together. As the roof gets heavier, it seems like this could be a weak point. Having the external struts seem like they would take some of this excess roof pressure off the end boards and rivets.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick

I have watched the comments on the threads about the roof struts from the start of the thread by the "saints" years ago.
This was one of the first mods I did to my camper back in Jan of 2010.
Mine are outside and IMO I like them there.
One question I have about the inside mount is,can you mount them for the rear panel?
I don't think I have seen any interior photos of a rear mount.
Seems IMO you need them on both the front and rear.One reason like Rick pointed out it taken some pressure off the lift panels when you have some load on the roof.
Just some thoughts.
At any rate they make the raising of the roof so much easier.
Frank

I'm so happy with my adjustable speaker stand and a small cordless drill, I have no desire to install the struts

I am wondering the same thing as Frank. It is a bit harder to raise and lower the roof now that I have a kayak and ski box full of fishing gear up there. I am worried that the wood insert for the hand crank won't tolerate the extra load over time (it already bends more than I like when lifting).

Is it possible to add the inner lift struts to the rear as well as the front?

Jason

If you have lifting struts already and the load seems greater than you prefer try different lifting struts that have a higher lb rating. I know if I get to the point where I carry a load on the roof I can always order a new set of lifting struts at a higher rating.

Back
Top Bottom