Extra Fuel Carry Options?

Area45

Advanced Member
Planning a trip up through Canada this summer and I'd like to carry 10 extra gallons. Did some searching but I was wondering if there were any options I was overlooking.

Considering a roof rack with fuel cans up high, but worried about the extra weight on the roof. 10 gallons is roughly 75 pounds plus fuel cans, carriers and rack. That seems like too much weight up there.

Leaning towards the Adventure Trailer carrier mounted on the back wall that Magellan did. Looks like it makes sense to only do one side though due to the window, but I could probably be ok with blocking the window.

Anyone using the 3 Gallon Roto pax options?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You'd definitely have to unload to raise the roof if you did that. I agree two is problematic.

Having decent fuel capacity in the truck sometimes it holds water or gas for the Jeep instead of diesel. I wonder if rotopax makes a version for water?

Your door opens up to the right and blocks the window? Mine opens to the left. So I guess I may have to block the window. I didn't think about that.

Rotopax does make water containers as well as fuel containers. I have a 4 gal rotopax fuel container and a 2 gal water container that I mount on top of the box on my Aluminess rear bumper/ I also have 1 gallon versions of each that I can carry on my motorcycle.

My window is blocked on the inside by a cabinet anyway. Please don't ever ask to look at it, especially if you're a cabinet maker.

We use the AT carriers, one each side. They work well. We don't have a window on the back. I moved the door stop/holder to avoid the door conflict. I've since converted to the Scepter MFC cans which I like better that the steel ones shown.
IMG_4093.JPG

takesiteasy said:
We use the AT carriers, one each side. They work well. We don't have a window on the back. I moved the door stop/holder to avoid the door conflict. I've since converted to the Scepter MFC cans which I like better that the steel ones shown.
How are your holders mounted? A plate under the wing similar to other campers? Looks good.

About 5 years ago I traveled all over western Canada, all the way to Inuvik in the NWT, then down to Alaska. 13K miles in 4 months. I carried a 5 gallon can of diesel on the back of my truck the entire trip and never had to use it, nor was ever worried about fuel . Finally dumped it into the tank when I got home. Canada is actually pretty civilized and fuel is not a problem, albeit very expensive. I wouldn't bother to carry fuel if I did the trip again. YMMV

Made my roof top carrier out of aluminum stock, attached to Yakima racks. I have 3, 2 gallon ... that said haven't had to use them either. BUT they come off in 2 minutes...no big deal. I like having them out of sight on the roof. 6 extra gallons can take me anywhere I gotta go.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 318
Drove the Alaskan Hwy in Winter about 15 years ago when 1/2 the gas stations were closed for the season. carried 5 gal of gas and like the above; I dumped it into the tank when I got home.

We have one of these mounted beneath the window on the right. When not used for fuel, we use it for half a dozen handy uses.
full

We mounted our own gas can and holder on the mounting bracket. 70 bucks total. (50 bucks for can and holder, 20 for extra parts)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWander The West1456679480.539244.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWander The West1456679480.539244.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 377
  • ImageUploadedByWander The West1456679555.140955.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWander The West1456679555.140955.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 369
malimish said:
We mounted our own gas can and holder on the mounting bracket. 70 bucks total. (50 bucks for can and holder, 20 for extra parts)
I like that setup a lot.

Where did you buy the parts from?
Or was this a custom order?

DrJ said:
I like that setup a lot.

Where did you buy the parts from?
Or was this a custom order?
Got the jerry can, carrier and 1/4 inch aluminum plate from Amazon. The spacers are cut from a long 1/8 inch x 2 inch x 48 inch aluminum strip along with galvanized nuts, bolts and washers are from Home Depot.

TEMCo 1/4 Inch 8"x12" 6061 Aluminum Tooling Flat Sheet Plate Bar Mill Stock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZRZG8MC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Nz10wb0GD6QJ4

Smittybilt 2798 Jerry Gas Can Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CLNYPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_FA10wbZZXQCVS

Scepter ECO Jerry Can with Child Resistant Closures (5-Gallon, Military Style) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT94TC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_4A10wbC2GG9G4

I like the extra jerry simply for peace of mind - I'm Canadian and do most of my travels here. You would be surprised how many stations are closed during the off hours. My tank only gives me 400 km. The Jerry helps me sleep well :) I mounted mine against the jack bracket and on top of an aluminium plate under the fridge. No need to pull out the fridge. AT Can Holder It can also carry the sceptre water can.

ntsqd said:
My next mod is one of these:

http://www.aerotanks.com/inventory/d60.html

Not as inexpensive as the fuel cans, but I don't have think about where to put the cans either.
d60.jpg
If they made those for Dodge Dakotas I would buy one.

I keep my Jerry can inside on the floor up against the front wall along with my water jug (7 gal) and grey water jug (5 gal). All three fit perfectly between the couch and the cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom