Extra Roof Vent Fleet - Recommendations?

Longbeard87

Advanced Member
Any recommendations on yes or no for the extra roof vent? Don't plan to do cooking inside just wonder if it helps to move a lot of air in hot environments. Thanks

We added it, and an extra fan, although you could add that yourself to save a few bucks. I haven't been camping in hot conditions yet, but it does give you the ability to make a nice breeze over the bed (front fan blowing in, rear fan blowing out). It is also useful for reducing condensation in the winter, and if gets too chilly you can close it without getting out of bed.

We don't have our camper yet, but we did order two roof vents/fans.
For the same reasons as Rando, create a breeze and reducing condensation.

My two cents...even in the short time we have used our Hawk the two vents with Fantastic brand fans that were OEM FWC have been of great help in regulating not just moisture but also temperature. Neither vent can shade the 160w Zamp roof panel.

Personally, I would have FWC install the fan to assure no leaks...just me.

Three fan speeds and as mentioned an "in or out" option...the low speed more than did the job and used by far less electrical power..just cracking the lids open an inch overnight all but eliminated inside condensation....

Vents are on my check list [4x5 card in front of speedo until moving] to close and verify, along with the seven roof latches...setting up or closing down...a walk-around circle check = peace of mind.

Never tried it, but blowing both vents into the camper with back door open while raising roof might aid in lifting it...slight positive pressure inside? On #3 fan speed it is a tornado.

Phil

I opted out of the second vent because I didn't like the idea of the light shining inover my head when I'm sleeping. I had an old shell model with just one vent and no fan and it worked ok. In our new Grandby, if I need flow through ventilation, it's simple enough to open a window and turn on the fantastic fan. My wife likes to sleep with a window cracked open anyway.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My vent has a metal top, no problems with light.

camper rich said:
I opted out of the second vent because I didn't like the idea of the light shining inover my head when I'm sleeping. I had an old shell model with just one vent and no fan and it worked ok. In our new Grandby, if I need flow through ventilation, it's simple enough to open a window and turn on the fantastic fan. My wife likes to sleep with a window cracked open anyway.
Besides...it is dark at night :D Our vents are tinted and if it really keeps you awake slip a piece of cloth in the frame...I personally like moonlight coming it at night..honestly the more natural light inside the Hawk the better...campers are caves.

Different strokes, different folks..

Phil

Spend the extra bank and get the7350 (with remote) model above the bed. Much more control of speed and not anywhere near as noisy as low speed on standard model.

Ditto to what others have said: The second fan above the bed is really good to have on warm nights. The OEM vent above the kitchen is also essential and should have a fan, too. With both fans blowing out, you can really clear hot air out of the camper quickly.

I had FWC install a plain vent above the bed. Then I bought a multi-speed Fantastic Vent, with a remote, and installed it myself. (The wires were right there, as promised). It gives a quiet, gentle air flow over the bed. It has a moisture sensor, which supposedly closes the vent in the event of rain. I haven't had the nerve to try it because a failure would be a soaked bed. Another company makes a vent/fan unit which they claim can be left open in the rain. It's called Maxx Vent, or something like that.

The Fantastic Vent remote is kinda klunky, but works OK so far. I ended up with an older model (bought on Ebay) and I think the newer ones have a better remote. In retrospect, I don't think the remote is worth much. I would just get a plain model and replace the 3-speed switch with a variable speed control.

- Bernard

We have the fan over the bed and the regular vent in back. Do you have to remove the old vent completely or is there a kit to allow installing from the inside. Just wondering if I have remove everything on the roof. If it is just retrofitting, that makes the job easier. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I have the fantastic fan over the stove. Am I to understand the wiring is there if I change my vent over my bed to a fantastic fan? Would be very interested in installing a 7350 (with remote)

longhorn1 said:
We have the fan over the bed and the regular vent in back. Do you have to remove the old vent completely or is there a kit to allow installing from the inside. Just wondering if I have remove everything on the roof. If it is just retrofitting, that makes the job easier. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
There is a kit that installs in the old vent, you don't have to remove it.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom