eyebolt supports and LED runner lights

Skeeter

Just wanted to share some pics of our new setup. I had eyebolt supports installed on all four corners of our Tacoma. I had them welded to the frame at a local shop. They give the truck floor much needed support and they feel very secure. They are 1\4" flat steel that has a few simple bends and a hole for the eyebolts that the turnbuckles are attached to.
gallery_1723_284_163105.jpg

The front and back are almost the same.
gallery_1723_284_204212.jpg

I also installed cheapo running lights on the rear so I dont get ran over on those midnight travels.
I got them at Wally world for 5 bucks each. When I was replacing my rear lift and choping off the rear lights, it made sense to add them.

gallery_1723_284_512286.jpg

I took the whole setup and did a quick shakedown trip just North of Payson, AZ.

gallery_1723_284_150716.jpg

I installed a simple solar setup that I can plug into when I arrive at camp. Im using a Rouge MPPT controller and a 65 watt Kyocera solar panel that has a 25' wire. I will do a write up on the electrical when I get home.

gallery_1723_284_518313.jpg

So far, I really like the setup. It is very basic, but suits our needs perfect. The V6 Tacoma has much improvement pulling the camper over the 4 cylinder Ranger, but the Ford seems to be a much beefer truck. The whole setup, truck,camper and equipment was less than 11K!

Nice looking rig. I especially like the LED running lights, and are considering adding those.

Great job on the supports, our Tacoma bed was failing at the I-bolts until I added 3/16 x 3 x 6 steel plates under them. I think your solution is even better. And yes, I'll bet you enjoy the V6 power and torque over a 4 banger. I did give a little thought to the after market turbo on my truck and may still look into it for pulling the Casita. Any thoughts or reviews on that unit on a Tacoma? All the Best.

I agree, these are a good addition for some extra peace of mind in mounting the camper.

Here's some early photos of what I did.

Passenger Rear Camper Mount Bracket

PassengerRearCamperMount.jpg

Passenger Front Camper Mount Bracket

PassengerFrontCamperMount.jpg

Drivers Rear Camper Mount Bracket

DriversRearCamperMount.jpg

Drivers Front Camper Mount Bracket

DriversFrontCamperMount.jpg

A little more work to build with angle iron, using both sides of the angle iron for some extra strength. Angle iron is 1" wide x 0.120" thick (light, but strong when used this way) and the flat stock is 1.5" wide x 0.25" thick. Just "angle" cut the angle iron pieces to be shorter than where the bolts will be, make sure the angle iron sits flat on the ends ("angle cut") for the truck bed and the frame rail, then weld both sides on the flat stock at a 90 degree angle to each other (end), mark where the holes should be and drill 'em.

I was lucky in that I was able to use existing holes in the frame rail.

The only tough bolt on the frame rail to work with was the Drivers Front (last photo above - bolt in the bottom right corner of photo), as the gas tank was right next to the frame rail and it was tough getting the bolt in the hole from the back side of the frame rail (not too much space behind there).

I also used the Quick Tie system, where I can remove the eye bolts pretty easily when I want to use the truck bed for some other purpose.

QuickTies002.jpg

QuickTies003.jpg

After the camper mount bracket photos were taken above, I changed out the Quick Tie standard eye bolts for longer ones, the new ones grab the insert threads a little better than the standard ones do.

Nice setup Skeeter for sure. How did you wire the leds? Did you pull out the furnace for some reason?

I tore out the inside and replaced the rear lift. At that point, I had complete access to the rear wall. I wanted a shell model that was light as possible, so I traded the orginal 3 way fridge and heater for a fantastic fan at a RV salvage yard. The LED lights were very easy to install and cheap. I got them at Wally world for about 5 bucks each. We use a little buddy heater that works perfect for out needs. Nice brackets ak! Im surprised that the factory doesnt supply those.

Back
Top Bottom