EZUP VS. AWNING VS. UMBRELLA

tree

what do you use for shade? I go to a lot of races, so im thinking ezup. but I see the arb and smittybilt awnings might bolt right on. but I do have this nice mount that goes on my trailer or truck hitch for a swing out cantilever umbrella.

In my opinion the biggest difference is one has four corner poles, giving you a lot of territory under the canopy to set up your gear. The other has a pole in the middle which restricts how you use it.

Your criteria may be weight or space needed or it being a one-man/one-woman thing to set up or strike or just which is cheaper.

The umbrella needs a BASE to support it so add that weight to the package whereas the EZ-up can use four stakes in the ground to tie the legs to or you can tie at least one or two to your vehicle.

Some consideration for using them in high wind areas may be important also.

In the "Less Is More" category is a tarp of the size you want supported by the truck camper and a couple poles that are staked down in the ground. A little more flexibility on the ANGLE you want to tie it to on the poles is an option also. Plastic tarps are CHEAP once you get the poles, stakes, tie-downs organized.

Probably best suited to what your needs are also in terms of area covered as well....

I sold my ezup. but don't mind getting another. on the giant umbrella subject I was going to get a offset/cantilever umbrella. 10 foot span, and I have a solid mount that install in my hitch receiver. I also mounted receivers on each side of my trailer for bbq and flagpole mounts. so that would be my base. I don't want to buy an 800.00 fiamma awning, but the smittybilt 6.5x6.5 awning is tempting.

Or the $30 tarp awning.
I do like the idea of a hitch mounted umbrella holder. For me I'd need a swing out one and then the stability in high wind comes into play.

umbrella idea is out the door. I camp desert. windy. ezup as a backup, and smittybilt awning for my monthly trips

gets hot out here in so cal. I volunteer at the desert races, and go to some local short course races. so I have until this sunday to get one. big5 is out of the ezup I want. looking at arb/smittybilt awnings today after work.

tree said:
gets hot out here in so cal. I volunteer at the desert races, and go to some local short course races. so I have until this sunday to get one. big5 is out of the ezup I want. looking at arb/smittybilt awnings today after work.
If you need something asap check out the REI Alcove.
Mine withstood lots of wind and even rain in Death Valley.

I have an cheap EZup style that I use occasionally in campgrounds. I find them flimsy and hard to anchor.

I use umbrellas on the beach but they don't deal well with wind.

Around here we have bugs and skeeters to deal with. I have an old cheapy dept store screen house I bought in the mid '80's. it was bargain basement back then. But it just won't die. 3 or 4 times It has been through storms on the Outer Banks that flattened everything else in the campground. I'd like to find another. Not the easiest to set up by yourself. But works well overall once set up.

I bought a replacement ezup lastnight on sale for the races sat. I plan to add a smittybilt awning next week. I will post install pics

Back
Top Bottom