F-150 Regular Cab 6.5' box - Suspension Upgrades

Bill D

My current set up is a 2009 GMC Sierra regular cab short box 2WD with Firestone Ride Rite airbags, hauling a Hawk with kitchen (~1400lbs). It's been a great truck overall, as we mainly camp in National and Provincial parks.
That being said we have had a couple scares on ice. I may just be the KO2 tires but I want a 4X4 truck moving forward.

I'm looking at a 2020 Ford F-150 regular cab short box 4X4. Please don't advise me to move up to a larger truck. It's not an option for me or I'd happily be looking at a SuperDuty. My driveway parking space will not accommodate a super cab and we don't plan to move for at least another 8 years.

I need advice from you suspension gurus.

I've heard guys say the OEM suspension upgrade options are garbage compared to aftermarket. I'm considering a 5.0L V8 with the FX4 package along with the snow plow package (which also offers a heavy duty alternator).
It's only $1000 for those two options, but it's a wasted $1000 if that money should have went to aftermarket suspension products.

I'm not sure what to look for in aftermarket parts. I'd like to do away from the airbags forever as the camper will remain on the truck full time. With the OEM options I'll most likely need airbags. Maybe I just go with the OEM options and add leaf springs once I get the truck.

Advice.... thx
Bill

Edit: Perhaps I should have posted in trucks, truck accessories and mods. Feel free to move this post :)

Bill, it may just be your tires. In Edmonton, I'd seriously think about having a second set of tires/rims with studded snowies for the winter. Even with 4x4.

Are you going for the heavy duty payload option too? The FX4 option also gets you skid plates, which are likely more $$$ aftermarket. Plus at resale time, the FX4 seems to sell better here.

You can likely get springs locally. I haven't looked, but Standen's here in Calgary has been making springs for a very long time.

Don't get me started on your choice of Ford vs GMC though.... :D

I'd look at a GMC again if they made a regular cab short box. I think they discontinued it in 2018.
The heavy duty payload option is only available on the super cab and larger trucks. They use a beefier frame in addition to the suspension components. Otherwise I would get it. 1850 plus a 150lb driver (so 2000lbs) is the max payload for the regular cab short box.

Bill, looking at the order guide (US) I'm not seeing any RCSB suspension upgrade included in those packages - or any pkg for that config.

Me, I'd take the loaded rig to a local spring show and have them incorporate an additional leaf or whatever. Done that with two trucks and will do again.

btw I'm reading Ford's max payload rating as including driver and any passengers, not +150.

One thing I like about the 5.0 vs 2.7 is the higher RAWR It's more than the base rear curb weight + total payload. Gives a little extra capacity on the rear axle if you're ever over weight. The 2.7 would be easier to be over payload and rear axle. No biggie, just saying.

I’m in the exact same boat as you!

Presently own a regular cab GMC but now looking at a Ford because GMC discontinued the regular cab. I have garage spaces issues as well and an extended cab won’t fit.
My research indicates the regular cab 4X4, F-150 with the 5.0 has a payload of 1840 lbs. My opinion is that’s plenty of truck to handle your application without any upgrades. You may get some squat in the rear but airbags can correct that.

This is the route I hope to take when it’s new truck time.

I don't know your reasons for not wanting a super duty.

The last couple years all of the Ford trucks share the same cab. so the overall dimensions are going to be very close.

In many ways I like the idea of a regular cab 6' bed truck. Good luck finding one.

Check the payload ratings which are weight over a dry truck, ie payload includes gas, driver , passenger, and all the other stuff.

I found out real quick that I am very close to my GVW with me, 2 dogs, camper and 3 weeks worth of gear.

2011 F150, hd payload super cab, 8'bed, Granby shell. 2200lb payload rating.

Stay away from the short type of add-a-leaf, they're too stiff and will break the other leaves. Better would be to have a set of springs made to support the camper at a level stance. I see air bags as a band-aid. Saying that, I am considering them to get the truck to sit level under this heavy new to us camper.

There have been too many times to count where I used low range to take the load off the engine & trans. This on graded dirt roads, not two-tracks. Anyone who's ever gone over Hurricane Ridge out of the Carrizo Plain, up to Cerro Gordo, or west out of Silver Peak, NV can understand that. I see 4x4 as mandatory for off pavement explorations even if I'm not going rock crawling with the truck.

Machinebuilder said:
I don't know your reasons for not wanting a super duty.
It won't fit on my driveway.
We live in a townhouse with a single car garage. One side of the driveway is for the GF to pull her Jeep into the garage. I park on the other side of the driveway and it has a couple of decorative poles that support the building. I've already smacked into those poles a couple times with my regular cab short box over the years. As it is, I only have about 2 feet behind me when I park. With the amount of ice and snow we get cutting that down to inches would be a disaster.

We plan on staying here for another 8 years minimum.

Indeed regular cab short box trucks are difficult to find. There are about 4 in my city for sale. I plan to order a truck. I'm in no rush.

Ntsqd, thank for the tip on avoiding an add a leaf. I'll take your advice.

Dphillip said:
I’m in the exact same boat as you!
Presently own a regular cab GMC but now looking at a Ford

This is the route I hope to take when it’s new truck time.
I'll be sure to give you a though review.

I've been happy with my GMC but I'm over 150,000 miles / 240,000 km now.

I still may keep my black GMC as a sport truck. I have some nice 22" wheels and in my opinion it is a beautiful truck. I have another garage/shop for storage :cool:

One of the things I hate about the look of the Ford has actually impressed me from the inside of the truck. I hate the look of the bend in the lower portion of the driver/passenger side windows. It happens that the windshield has the same thing going on, but it's not noticeable unless you sit inside the truck. This bend gives the cab a vary spacious feel and great visibility. It's like having floor to ceiling windows in your home.

Bill D said:
I'll be sure to give you a though review.I
Please do!

I wish they put the 3.5 Eco boost in the regular cab but the 5.0 still has nice numbers. The payload and towing rates for the Ford are great!

Dphillip said:
Please do!

I wish they put the 3.5 Eco boost in the regular cab but the 5.0 still has nice numbers. The payload and towing rates for the Ford are great!
They do put the 3.5EB in the regular cab but ya gotta get a long bed.

I’m in the same boat. My current colorado is going away soon. I’m looking at full size trucks to haul my FWC (grandby being modded to hawk) and it’s down to basically a F-150 but the jury is out on the rest of it. I can have any size truck as my townhome has plenty of parking so it’s a non issue, but I don’t wanna daily a 3/4 ton for 20k+Miles/year.

F-150 regular cab has a 6400gvwr with a 5.0 in 4x4 it would be just on the edge. I don’t need a super cab. But the longer frame ups the GVWR.

I *believe* the FX4 package gives you a selectable rear locker. If so, a worthy option. The rest of the package is more or less throw-away. As to the SPP, a $1000 for essentially a bigger alternator, which in the grand scheme of FWC things isn't worth it IMHO. Now if Ford beefs up actual suspension components in the front (not springs or shocks) then maybe...

But the rear locker, yeah. You'll use that more than the 4x4 if you know what your doing off-road.

Remember too going back to your first post, you mentioned ice. Four wheel drive may get you going, but does zero for anything else.

I *believe* the FX4 package gives you a selectable rear locker.
But the rear locker, yeah. You'll use that more than the 4x4 if you know what your doing off-road.

Remember too going back to your first post, you mentioned ice. Four wheel drive may get you going, but does zero for anything else.

I'm pretty much sold on the FX4 package. Thank you very much.
I think that rear locker will come in handy.

The main issue I have with my GMC 2WD is the rear end wants to kick out to the passenger side on ice. I have an anti-spin diff and stability control, but it doesn't seem to help. I just about put the truck in the ditch on an icy mountain road a couple years ago. We were only doing 65 km / 40 miles per hour when some dude blew past us and startled me. The slightest movement in the wheel put us into a slide. I was able to keep the truck on the road but not over correcting. My off-road skid truck training came in handy, because I likely would have overcorrected otherwise.
We passed the dude that blew by us about 5 minutes later. He was in the ditch. I loved the look on his wife's face. Priceless. If she had a slipper, she would have hit him in the head with it. I'm glad they were okay.

Last year we were headed to our staff Christmas party (in Calgary) and we only made it about 1/2hr out of Edmonton before we turned back. The ass end kicked out 5 times.

I'm hoping the rear locker can be engaged on icy roads in 2WD when 4WD isn't totally necessary. It would be nice to keep the vehicle going straight, but if not 4wd will be awesome.

If it can't be engaged in 2WD it is probably some sort of electrical interlock and if they haven't already figured it out (re: Toyota "gray wire mod"), there will soon be a work-around posted on the net somewhere.

ntsqd said:
If it can't be engaged in 2WD it is probably some sort of electrical interlock and if they haven't already figured it out (re: Toyota "gray wire mod"), there will soon be a work-around posted on the net somewhere.
I just found this online:

• In 4x2, 4x4 Auto, and 4x4 High modes, the electronic locking differential will automatically disengage at speeds above 25 mph (41 km/h) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 20 mph (32 km/h)

So, it can be engaged in 2WD, but it would require a hack to operate above 25mph. It probably exists.

Edit: Looks like it exists :)

There's probably a home-brew method out there somewhere. The speed limitation is exactly what cutting the gray wire on Toyota's defeats.

I have a hawk on a 2011 Chevy Silverado and I put Timbrens on to help handle the load. Later on I added an anti sway bar plus heavy duty 3/4 truck type tires and am very pleased with how it handles with those modifications,

Bill D said:
I'm hoping the rear locker can be engaged on icy roads in 2WD when 4WD isn't totally necessary. It would be nice to keep the vehicle going straight, but if not 4wd will be awesome.
From what I have read, an open diff is best on icy road conditions. Limited slip or locked diff might cause one tire to momentarily loose grip on the road thus causing a slide/spin; typically going around bends in the road.

Back
Top Bottom