F-150 under Keystone limps back to Bama

John D

Wednesday afternoon, or 4 days ago, the F-150 under the Keystone limped back home. We had endured fuel starvation the entire trip, changing fuel filters more than 10 times, all the way to the Olympic Peninsula and back to Alabama. The trip lasted 40 days and we traveled 7634 miles. Further posts will be under "Trip Reports" and mostly pictures. If there are questions about the mechanical problems, I may post answers back here. I have pared down to my better pictures. Nevertheless, cry "Uncle" when you have had enough. John D

Wednesday afternoon, or 4 days ago, the F-150 under the Keystone limped back home. We had endured fuel starvation the entire trip, changing fuel filters more than 10 times, all the way to the Olympic Peninsula and back to Alabama. The trip lasted 40 days and we traveled 7634 miles. Further posts will be under "Trip Reports" and mostly pictures. If there are questions about the mechanical problems, I may post answers back here. I have pared down to my better pictures. Nevertheless, cry "Uncle" when you have had enough. John D

10 fuel filters in 7,600 miles! That must have tried your patience. Have you discovered the root of the problem?

A real concern was the fuel pump would fail due to the large amount of contaminate from the gas tank going through it. In order to actually know the true problem I need to remove the fuel tank from the truck, clean and inspecte it. If the tank is rusty, my experience suggests only a replacement tank will resolve the problem. In addition, I will not feel comfortable with this truck until I can take out the fuel injectors and inspect them too. Shortly after installing a new fuel filter, the 4.2L V6 would answer when called and it was clear from those rare events that this engine is adequate for our use. But it will never perform like a turbo diesel truck.

The event pictured in the attached image of a diesel tow vehicle blowing our doors off was a common occurrence. Take note of our speedometer which is barely visible. The truck passing us is not moving away slowly. More joy for diesel fans. John D

Attachments

• IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 157
The Speed limit here is 75.....'er....90...

And if ya wanna go >>really<< fast, just put any female in the vehicle on the phone and set her behind the wheel
blink.gif

zoom, zoom, zoom...

mtn

Back
Top Bottom