F-250 & FWC Hawk,.. Do I need bags or helpers?

Kispiox

I just took delivery of a Hawk on my 2011, F-250, 6.7 PowerStroke. The dry camper put it down on the rear springs just under an inch. Loaded and wet maybe 1.5". The truck seems to handle it well. No wind experience yet. I do intend to do quite a lot of both highway, logging road and off road miles. I am about to head to BC, so would like to pull the trigger and have it done down here as it will only be more expensive in Canada. At the same time if consensus is that not needed, I will roll with that.

What experience is out there to draw from with this configuration? If I make some suspension modification what are the benefits? Better fuel mileage? Sway control? Is it needed with a 250? If so, bags, helpers? What is your experience and opinion?

After over 7,000 miles with my Hawk on full time on a 2012 Chevy 2500HD I find no need for any suspension upgrades what so ever. My loaded Hawk was 1300 lbs dry and fully loaded around a ton. With a 2900 lb payload I have plenty capacity to spare. Seriously, this truck handles the camper like a dream and I can't imagine you would need to do anything. Braking, power, cornering, off road....all excellent.

I would go with what you have....that Ford will be fine. If in the future you don't agree you can start spending money.

I drove 3 years all over, dirt roads, etc with no helpers. Only reason I added them is because I wanted to truck to look dead level with the camper. I installed a 2.5" front leveling kit before I got the camper and when I added the camper the rear squatted a bit like yours.

I agree with Rotti. No need, but I ended up spending a bit of $$ for looks, I admit. Hellwig Pro series off Amazon for cheap.

If I were you, I would be very concerned... and would probably upgrade to a Cummins powered Ram! ;) :D :D

SLO_F-250 said:
.....Only reason I added them is because I wanted to truck to look dead level with the camper. I installed a 2.5" front leveling kit before I got the camper and when I added the camper the rear squatted a bit like yours...
I got Firestone airbags for a similar reason -- to make it (F250, 2000 year, with Hawk) level. It didn't need it capacity-wise (the overload springs weren't even touched)...but if you put weight in the bed the rear end drops down -- no way around that fact -- and I didn't want it squat. And since the driver's side of the camper is heavier (and there's a 200+ lb guy in the driver's seat), the driver's side is more squat. That was my reason, but it does handle/corner flatter, too, which I like.
In retrospect, since my camper is on the truck 99% of the time -- and so doesn't need loaded/unloaded adjustment -- a change in springs might have been a good/better alternative...but I have no regrets, at least no regrets strong enough to make me want to change now.

I agree with Rotti. I bought a 2011 F-250 just because I didn't want to have to fool with aftermarket solutions like I did with my previous F-150. Mine (see my picture) is a 6.2 gasser and 2WD. If the truck's level, so is the camper. My Hawk is 1300+ pounds dry and I didn't want to have to worry about overloading the truck. It drives great and I'm happy. You will be too.

Added SuperSprings to 2012 F150 and beefier tires to get a ride with more control and less sway. Opportunity knocked and I upgraded to an F350 and the truck handles the weight without any add-ons. One weird thing is the 2013 F350 bed is about 1/4 inch higher at the front so the camper sits that much higher in the front (Terry at FWC said he had seen this before.). F250 with a newer Hawk is probably all that's needed so long as the tires are E-rated.

Back
Top Bottom