F350 scissor jack

I’m a newbie! Can the Jack supplied by Ford with my 2021 F350 lift the truck and pop up if I have a flat? I know, I know I should have tried it at home but I’m leaving in the morning for a two month trip to Alaska. Do I need something different?

Pick up a 4-ton hydraulic bottle jack. You may never need it but if you do you will be very happy to have it. Most auto parts or hardware stores have them.

I’m a newbie! Can the Jack supplied by Ford with my 2021 F350 lift the truck and pop up if I have a flat? I know, I know I should have tried it at home but I’m leaving in the morning for a two month trip to Alaska. Do I need something different?
The supplied jack should be able to lift each corner of truck at its maximum gross axle weight. If it couldn’t, there’d be a big warning in the owners manual. If you have a popup camper, nearly all of the camper weight is on the rear axle. A 2000 lbs popup will bring the rear axle weight up to be about 200-600 greater than the empty front axle weight. The jack should have margin for that weight.

Finally, jacks typically are marked with their maximum capacity. Did you look for a marking on your jack?

Jon, I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but I will when I get to my first stop. The back seat is packed full. Hopefully I won’t need the Jack before then. Thanks for the response! Steve

I did that once… on nasty sharp shale… in 100° weather. That was one time too many.

I now carry the SafeJack Recovery Kit.

I have used both for recovery situations. So have others and their experiences may be different than mine. In my experience a bottle jack is a bit more difficult to put exactly where it will do the most good, but once in place the bottle jack seems safer and less potentially damaging to a vehicle. This is because the bottle jack lifts the axel or frame at the right point. A high lift jack lifts the body and ends up dangling the wheel you are trying to get at, which, to me, seems much less stable. If you don't get the high lift properly oriented for the stresses to be down into the ground it may tip over. That could ruin your day in a big way.

Also, the high lift jack is big and heavy -- takes up lots of space. The bottle jack is much easier to pack away out of sight.

I carry a compact 2 ton floor jack.It seems to work just fine.
It's easy to store away and use.Also carry a short piece of 2x8 lumber to place the jack on and a short section of 4x4 to place between the jack and the axle.
This has worked for me.
Frank
PS have a great time in Alaska

What are the benefits of a bottle jack vs a hi-lift jack?
Also, if you have a welding machine or a friend who does you can make adapters that won’t let the bottle Jack slip. I have them made for all four corners of my truck.

These are for my 20 ton bottle jacks (air assist) that I use in my shop. I still use Jack stands and don’t forget to chock the wheels?

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

I just whipped these together with scrap material laying around in my shop….. not very pretty but work great

Last edited:
What are the benefits of a bottle jack vs a hi-lift jack?
This is like asking “what is the best tire?” Both questions depend on vehicle type, terrain and intended uses, among other variables.

I personally carry both in both of my 4x4 vehicles and would not consider leaving home without either (and both have contributed to my getting home at all multiple times). BUT, neither one does a bit of good without proper accessories.

For the bottle jack, adaptors like Glenn has made for his truck are essential. A typical bottle jack just shoved under the axle is as tippy and deadly as any HiLift jack. And, you have to get under the truck to use it.

As far as the HiLift, it is useless without a solid mounting surface, which unfortunately very few trucks made in the last 50 years have. That said, if the proper mounting points are installed, that jack can get you out of situations that nothing else can. An essential accessory is the Jack Mate. While no good for changing a tire, it is the best way I have ever found to lift a wheel so you can stuff rocks or logs under it to get you out of trouble. Just be sure it’s compatible with your particular style of rims. As for storage, the jack can be broken down into its component parts, making stowage much easier.

Both types of jacks benefit greatly from a solid board to mount them on, as stated above by Casa.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Thanks Tom.

I am comfortable with using HiLift jacks, and had assumed that was the go-to solution until seeing people here discussing bottle jacks. I hadn't seen the Jack Mate before - that looks like a very handy addition to the jacking toolkit along with adapters, base plates, and having proper vehicle jacking points.

One advantage to HiLifts over bottle jacks is the ability to use a HiLift as a come-along winch. Apart from that, each system has pros and cons.

I'm in the process of putting together a recovery kit, so space, weight, cost, utility are all factors -- cost being of least importance as when you are stuck or broken down, that one thing you didn't want to spend the money on is suddenly and literally "priceless"-!

This is all helpful input. Thanks everyone.

Bottle jack is far safer but depending on terrain you may not be able to use it. A hi lift will almost always work. Just remember it can be deadly if used improperly. I had a blowout offroad. I tried to use the bottle jack but couldn't fit it under the truck. Had to use the hi lift to get the truck up hi enough to be able to use the bottle jack. I've been thinking about looking at scissor jacks.

👍 h2opup - I don’t leave it on there all the time😀….. more for farm use and special jobs. Something smaller would be better for long trips (I’ve seen the illustration of using the hilift Jack for pulling. Might get a guy out of a jam (and light weight)

I would think there are bad legal repercussions for supplying a factory jack that will not lift more than GA(xle)WR. I have used mine and am comfortable that it will do the job.

On your trip when you see the yellow 'CAT Scale' sign stop and get your loaded rig weighed. Compare that to your jack's rating.

I carry a 16" plywood square for stability under jack.

IMO high lift jacks are too heavy for their utility.

Back
Top Bottom