Factory Air Conditioning

XJINTX

I realize not a lot have the factory AC but here in TX I required it... keeping wife happy. I have a 2015 Hawk Side Dinette. Have used AC frequently but not for past couple months. Just returned form a 3 week trip up to Maine and back. Enjoyed the cool weather up there but when got back south needed the AC. It "seems" like I need a Freon recharge. I am pretty sure the compressor is kicking in but not cooling. So used on high fan and was OK. My question is if anyone has had the same issue? Can they be recharged? I can buy new one for like $200 and guess I can replace but would rather not have hassle. I use my camper a lot and have been on tough roads... I am in NO WAY expressing any regret in the AC or it's purchase as it has worked flawless since purchase.

Don't know if mine is factory or not as I am not the original owner. I have noticed the same fall off in cooling over the 6 we've owned it. Couldn't find anyone to work on the old unit, although one shop said they would check it out for their base fee of $105/hr plus freon/parts costs. I did find the exact model for about $120 at Lowes last year, so I now have a shoe in replacement. I would suggest you check around locally to see if some small A/C shop in your area might be more reasonable than the quote i got. I'm in Texas too, when its hot here the canvas with it's lack of insulation causes those 5k A/C unit work hard.

Thanks Beach! Where in TX are you located? I'm trying to organize a group Meetup here in TX of FWC owners. If interested please PM me your email addy. I found a replacement unit on Amazon for $172... might just go that route. I'm just not sure how hard to replace as current unit looks pretty solidly mounted.

I have the factory AC in my 2017 Grandby, the only issue I have had so far is water condensing in the base of it then overflowing into the inside of the camper when driving down a hill.

This is a result of the installer not properly sloping the AC to the rear which would allow the condensate to drain properly. I was going to remove it and change the slope but could not figure out how to get it out so gave up. Instead I drilled two holes in strategic locations in the AC base to allow drainage, even though the manual said not to do that.

If you get it out let us know how.

Hello XJINTEX
If you have a clamp on meter you can check to see if the compressor is running. Find the data plate and look for the amp draw of the unit. This would include both fan and compressor. If your amp draw is real low might only have fan on. If in the middle might indicate a low Refrigerant charge in which case you can feel good about buying a new one.

Russ

I had the factory AC. I too drive a lot of bad roads. Mine lasted a couple of years before it stopped blowing cold. I live in Western Canada and camp on the beach in Baja in Jan/Feb so don't really miss it. I took it out when I had to deal with some rotting issues at the bottom of the door.

I see those AC units as disposable - I wonder if they are designed to be installed in a camper designed to be used off road.

Riding where it is, way way back behind the rear axle, is going to give the poor A/C unit a really rough ride. That can't help it's lifespan.

But where else could it go? The roof mount ones are probably too heavy.

I have removed mine so AC repair can check out. I have also ordered a new one. After trying to remove I'd say it's mounted VERY WELL! I also agree they probably take a beating. I know in my almost 5 years it has got a workout. If broken beyond repair I am also satisfied it lasted this long. Oh and yes the AC keeps my wife happy too here in TX camping ;)

How heavy are those things?

I think if I ever want A/C, I'll try to come up with some kind of bracket the unit would kind of clip into, so it would just pop off and go behind the seat in the truck while driving. It would have a pretty cushy ride right between the axles, and I would probably leave it home most trips anyway.

My wife doesn't like the heat either, so I could get her to camp more of the year with A/C.

It couldn't be any heavier to lift than the roof, could it?

The AC unit is a small 5K unit. Since removed I see how it's mounted and it won't go anywhere. It actually has a 180 degrees of aluminum brace attached to frame. Then there is additional (maybe steel?) mounting brace on outside and aluminum fascia on inside to actually screw it in. Then Polyurethane calk (not adhesive) that actually hold too. When removed you have a big hole in the back ;)

Once removed we discovered a big, seen with eye, crack in the Freon line. We also noted that were no maintenance ports for charging. My buds business charges $90 to install the ports and then Freon. If he welded the crack we had no way of knowing if there were more until filled. I paid $172 +tax for a new one. Once I receive it and know it's the correct replacement I will buy another as a spare for me or when I sell it. With products being discontinued I'd hate to not have a replacement.

I say again I am totally satisfied with how long it has lasted with the places that I have been. My wife and I really appreciate having it when desired as it always makes for an even better trip ;)

FYI... it was an exact replacement. Works fine now. I'm buying another to stash away... just in case.

Back
Top Bottom