Factory Roof Rack

dorocks

Greetings

I have a question for the seasoned FWC folks. What do you actually use your roof racks for?

I have found the rack on my 2009 Hawk is very hard to access even with the factory steps. Secondly if you put something up there, how in the world are you going to get your roof up during a rest stop lunch on the road? Getting the roof up is already a challenge because of weight. (I have solar too)

Add to that the extra drag and I find myself just ignoring it.

However I did like the use, a fellow on this form suggested - Putting copper pipe in the rear rack and using it to hold a shower curtain.

Keith
La Mesa CA

Well, I'm no FWC seasoned owner but I hope to be!!! I will have the roof rack for my canoe. I will not need the rear steps as I carry one of these. Got it off Ebay for 100 bucks.

I've all ready got the material to build the rack on my present camper, just gotta get time!!!

I have just used mine for solar, 2 panels in the back and in the process of adding 2 or 3 more up front. I also just put a new cross bar a couple feet behind the original front bar so I can add the new solar panels. Mimicked the stock rack using 1x1 aluminum and 4 short pieces attached to the roof that the cross bar rests on. Last night I secured the cross bar, now all I need to do is mount the panels with some brackets I have bent to fit and wire them up. Haven't quite figured that out. Three panels up front may lead to needing roof lifters :(
935660388_Fncpn-S.jpg

We did not get our camper with a rack but plan to add one. The thought is to put a 25 gallon grey water tank (empty) and our camp chairs up there. Right now these are stored in the camper as we travel and need to be pulled out everytime we stop for lunch or to use the camper en route. So it will add convenience to our travels and I don't think these items will add much weight.

I found a good use today for the rack. I had to pick up a 20 foot 2x6 at the Depot. Was able to tie it up there.

Keith

I use my rack to snag branches when in the outback :) Haven't found any other use for them. So far, I have bent off the overhanging ends front and back.

Same here on the solar panel. Mine is on the left rear, less likely to snag branches.
Also I keep the tailgate on my truck, sort of like a hobo porch and never worry about the door opening...

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00895 (Large).JPG
    DSC00895 (Large).JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 204

Back
Top Bottom