Failed roof strut bracket

SCUD

Advanced Member
tn_gallery_6816_147_2303172.jpg

My driver side rear roof strut bracket failed. A screw sheared and the strut pushed the bracket into the roof latch. The strut had to be removed to allow the latch to work. This happened coming back from the Sugarloaf Ridge campout, It's going to American RV for warranty repair on Friday. The screw probably can't be removed, & I'm guessing they'll drill a new hole...

Has anyone had this happen, and if so what did you do to repair?

When American RV repairs it, please post why it failed and what the fix was...

Tough on a 2016 Fleet model.

Phil

I also have a 2016 Fleet, but I installed my own struts. The ends that I used use three screws each vs. two on yours. I think that the ends that I used are also a bit wider, which helps to spread the load. This might help.IMG_0521.JPG

SCUD - totally unrelated comment, but I saw your signature line when I was reading your post and wanted to ask you a question as I also have airbags with airlift wireless air.

Do your airbags frequently adjust?

I have mine set pretty high (70 psi) and they are frequently adjusting. Seems like every couple minutes the manifold is hissing as it lets out air, or the compressor is kicking in to refill air it let out. I called Four Wheel Parts who said that was normal. I then called Airlift to see if the threshold could be adjusted so the pressure is only adjusted if the actual pressure is 5 psi from the desired pressure and they said it couldn't. Airlift also said that the frequent adjustments are normal. I wanted to get another data point to see if other people had the same issue.

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to put a 1/4" aluminum plate as a base between the two strut mounts..... that way there is opposing pressure and thus no tension on the mount. Search this site for this ...I put up photos.

I had one strut bracket screw fall out on my 2015 Hawk, took it to FWC, they replaced the loose screw with one size larger, it's been no problem since. I would add a little caulk adhesive, which FWC might have done. That was over a year and a half ago, and a lot of roof extensions later.

whwv said:
SCUD - totally unrelated comment, but I saw your signature line when I was reading your post and wanted to ask you a question as I also have airbags with airlift wireless air.

Do your airbags frequently adjust?

I have mine set pretty high (70 psi) and they are frequently adjusting. Seems like every couple minutes the manifold is hissing as it lets out air, or the compressor is kicking in to refill air it let out. I called Four Wheel Parts who said that was normal. I then called Airlift to see if the threshold could be adjusted so the pressure is only adjusted if the actual pressure is 5 psi from the desired pressure and they said it couldn't. Airlift also said that the frequent adjustments are normal. I wanted to get another data point to see if other people had the same issue.

Thanks!
I have the same system, experience the same constant adjusting, and wondered the same thing.. Sounds like it's normal!

Wallowa: No idea what caused the problem. Hopefully, the damage was a fluke. Another hole was drilled to the left of the sheared screw and a same size screw was installed. As always Jeff was quick and efficient.

cvant: Where did you get that nifty 3-hole bracket?

whv & rilcombs: My air system had leaks when originally installed, which caused it to cycle frequently during the day. Once the leaks were eliminated, the cycling was extremely reduced. After the TorkLift Stable Loads were installed, cycling was eliminated; they allowed me to reduced airbag pressure and stabilized side-to-side movement.

SCUD said:
Wallowa: No idea what caused the problem. Hopefully, the damage was a fluke. Another hole was drilled to the left of the sheared screw and a same size screw was installed. As always Jeff was quick and efficient.

whv & rilcombs: My air system had leaks when originally installed, which caused it to cycle frequently during the day. Once the leaks were eliminated, the cycling was extremely reduced. After the TorkLift Stable Loads were installed, cycling was eliminated; they allowed me to reduced airbag pressure and stabilized side-to-side movement.

We bought our '16 Hawk from Jeff...competent and honest...good guy.

Phil

I found those brackets on Ebay. They come with a little bit of a bend in them, but a few whacks with a mallet in the vise straightened them out. I'll see if I can find them again and I'll send a link.

I too have 2016 Fleet. Drilling a hole in the center of the current bracket and installing a 3rd screw (one size larger) might be a simple precautionary step. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Also, does anyone know, off hand, the size and length of the standard screw used to attach the bracket?

Many thanks, SCUD, for posting your experience.

Redfish said:
I too have 2016 Fleet. Drilling a hole in the center of the current bracket and installing a 3rd screw (one size larger) might be a simple precautionary step. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Also, does anyone know, off hand, the size and length of the standard screw used to attach the bracket?

Many thanks, SCUD, for posting your experience.
i used 3/4 " #8 screws on mine

Just replaced all of the screws on my struts with a slightly larger self-drilling sheet metal screw. I had 1 that had already sheared and missing. I believe the problems is that they are over torqued at the factory and are right at the point of shearing off. Ron

Back
Top Bottom