fastguns

The 4.7L V8 version of the new Tundra is the same engine in my Landcruiser, which actually weighs a little less unloaded. I can tell you that is underpowered for hauling; even barely adequate for empty. The 06 and earlier tundra's weighed a lot less empty, so it was probably adequate. I have the 5.7L V8 and you don't even know the camper is back there. From some forums I'm on, I understand the 4.7 gets the same or worse gas mileage than the 5.7 because it has to work much harder, so I don't think there is much incentive to go with the smaller engine.

So, you are saying a '07 Tundra with a 4.7L 271 hp is not enough to haul a loaded ATC/FWC?

I do not mean to say I do not believe you, but do you have real proof?

Mike

P.S. At 5am tomorrow (Tue 8/13) I am driving 655 miles to buy a '07 Tundra Reg Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.7L.

flinchlock,

Just speculating. The 06 with that engine weighs almost 800lbs less empty. My cruiser with that engine weighs about 200# less empty and it is sluggish. But my cruiser is an 02 with 35 hp and 13lb-ft less (same engine before they bumped the power), which could make all the difference. For me, I chose the 5.7 because the gas mileage is the same, the 5.7 is widely available and so the power is nice for the price. But thats for me. I have not driven it, so don't take my word for it. That engine is silky smooth though. Does the 4.7 come with the 6-sp tranny? If so, that would probably make it work very nicely. You are going to love the truck either way.

Check out tundrasolutions.com too. It is a great forum about Toyota's, but LOTS of info on the Tundra. Have fun.

Flinchlock (aka Mike)

So, what do you think of the new Tundy?

Flinchlock (aka Mike)

So, what do you think of the new Tundy?
Like it a lot! Monday it goes in for Line-X and side tubes.

1st tankful was about 18.5 mpg, and the 2nd tank was 19.4 mpg! :D :D

Mike

P.S. I am planning on going to my local lumber yard and asking them to put 7 squares of 190# shingles (1330 lbs) in the bed just to measure how much the bed goes down. :eek:

lqhikers said:
after breaking 3 tie down bolts at the same time in baja i had to use tie down straps hooked to the corner jack mounting brackets,which led to the way i do it now.i still use the turnbuckles inside the bed but also added turnbuckles at all four corners. its been two years and lots of offroad use problem solved! see attached pics for my solution . just another idea i thought i'd share.drive slow and enjoy "its the Journey"
Hi lghikers,
Whats the brand/name for the external frame tie down you're using? (Black metal piece attached to truck frame/bed) Thanks!

I've thought about adding a chain with carabiners from the camper to tie down as a backup. Loose enough to not interfere with tightening but if Sh*t hit the fan and things got too loose you wouldn't lose your camper. It's a long story but the original owner of my Bobcat lost it out of the truck due to his due to the turnbuckles bending (the bending was due to a rollover, and the camper was lost when getting the rig back onto the road).

You know, this year I drove 31000 miles with my 2002 Tundra 4.7L V6 4x4 AC 5 speed manual. From Dallas to every western state in the US including BC and AK, (excluding ND), over some of the 4 star 4x4 roads to the trail heads of 14'ers in CO, and bouncing across dirt roads and the ALCAN highway at over 50 mph, while other drivers have been beaten up by the washboard roads. I have only checked the original aluminum turnbuckles occasionally with some tightening at first otherwise no problem. I have added Hellwig EZ-990 helper springs, and Air Lift Ride Control 59530 air springs. I upgraded the tires to "E" rated LT265/75 and run 45 psi in the front and 50 psi in the back. (If you get stuck in the sand deflate the tires to 20 psi)

​Normally I drive slow max 55 mph highway and average 18.5 mpg. As near as I can tell my ATC Ocelot with 3-way fridge, 12 V battery and 100 W solar and 1200 BTU heater weights 950 lbs dry and and 1875 fully loaded with camper gear, truck gear and two people. So I'm over GVWR by about 200 lbs. Thats including food. beer, my backpacking and climbing gear, and mountain bike, 5 bigger tires, helper springs, tow chain and 2 ton come along.

I have had no problems with the original equipment and turnbuckles.

Back
Top Bottom